Unity Console Port

With the upcoming port to Unity, I believe it a console port could help jumpstart the playerbase and bring in new players. As free games on the Microsoft Store and PSN Store always get downloaded and played by a lot of people.

If you’re thinking "It wouldn’t work because ROTMG wouldn’t be very playable on a controller: it would not matter. It would get played regress-less of how bad it controls and more importantly it would appear to more players and a larger player-base than it is currently just on PC. New players would see the game and play it and maybe if they do not like how it controls on console they may try it on PC.

You look at a game like PUBG with it’s terrible port when it first came out on Xbox One, it was still one of the most played games and still currently sits at the 8th most played Xbox game and that version is a shell of it’s PC counterpart. I am not saying ROTMG would pull in the same numbers, but it would bring new players.Unity already has the Multiport to develop anywhere from IOS to the 3DS, a console port could be essential to bringing in new players and powering this game back up.

Didn’t @Shatter play on a controller :thinking:

Yes

That’s epic

Community better start working out how the joke “Press R for free gold” will translate to a controller. :thinking:

Wait a minute, these console players won’t be as likely to fill up the chat with garbage will they, okay I’m sold.

The game doesn’t seem to be struggling, so this just seems like a big mistake.

Last month had the lowest playercount since 2013.

source?

Can’t find my graph for other platforms but…this is from Steam

uh oh

a) According to steam the last month had the lowest playercount since… November 2018
b)You cant rule out that the trend of the steam player numbers isnt significant for the whole playerbase since there might another factor affecting the steam players

Although Steam data base is not neccesairly representative of the total player base, the drop in players is still pretty disturbing.

I found something on google trends.
Doesn’t really make sense though so I think you can safely ignore this

It doesn’t work like that. If people play and don’t like how it controls then they will remove it from their devices and play something else. Maybe they will tell their friends “don’t bother, the controls suck!” It will get a low rating on that device’s app store and struggle from the start.

A console port is certainly possible, but there are two problems that would have to be solved.

• The control system. In particular for classes like Wiz/Rogue/Huntress with abilities that require precise positioning, not just aiming. How easy this is might depend on the device.
  • Chat. Some sorts of chat would not be missed or could use voice or other apps – people already use e.g. Discord to coordinate activities. But it’s needed for trading, and for in-game call outs such as to dungeons, events. Trading could be replaced by a proper auction house system, like RealmeEye but in-game. Other useful chats could become macros. Or maybe even the game is better at letting players know when something interesting happens.

maybe make a way to control where it would go by being able to set it to a certain location using a hotkey then the game automatically puts it there everytime it’s activated

For that, could there be a setting such that
Consider a circle with radius r whose center is the player.

I think for people with controllers, designating the angle theta and the radius r and having space using the ability as if the cursor was pointed at (r,theta) would be an okay solution. It would be a decent stop gap solution at the very least

You would have to spin like mad though

I would love this because I want to play more on my Xbox

a console port of realm it would definitely grow the community out more, but the controls and other problems that pop up on console ports would get in the way. As for how it would work I made this thing in MS Paint.

THINGY

That’s an interesting concept of left and right.
I think as long as it’s reassignable (I’d like nexus probably on a thumb button, movement on other stick). Hate it in console games where they’ve chosen a bizarre arrangement that you’re locked in to.

yeah same…