UT Trading? Its already a thing!

Sometimes I wish I could take a trip back to RotMG 3-5 years ago when UT items first became a thing. I remember how rare and expensive they were, people selling them for an arm and a leg.
Despite them all being tradeable, there was never a surplus of them, people still dropped their items on death back then, so items could be recycled by other players. Even back then all I ever heard was “he duped this, he duped that, we duped 7 dbows, that guy duped my ogmur” etc. Yet there was never an abundance of these items, and they certainly weren’t being sold cheap, both in and outside of the game.
I see more UT items now in one day then I could in weeks back then, yet people say they don’t want them to be tradeable because they will be duped. Duping has been heavily combated since then, deaths are now permanent, no ammy to save you, peoples items don’t appear in public loots bags like they used to.
Overview
When all UT’s were tradeable

• death wasn’t permanent (ammy)
  • items dropped in public bags on death (recycling)
  • duping was more prevalent
  • RWT was more prevalent

Now that they aren’t tradeable

• death is permanent, peroid.
  • no death items going around
  • duping is much more heavily combated
  • RWT is much more heavily combated

I’ll say it again. I see more UT’s in one day now, then I ever did back then. Hell they drop like candy now in comparison. When someone with a planewalker died usually 2-3 more would die just trying to get it, now I feed them to my pets because I get so many of them.
Trading won’t decrease their value in any aspect, it’s their overall abundance that already decreases their value. There are more ways to die, no ways to resurrect, and no death loots anymore, yet UT’s have never been more common, coming from someone that has been with RotMG through 3 owners.

If anything making them tradeable would decrease their abundance because the people like me could just sell the 3 ep’s and 6 plane’s we have in our vaults and half of the buyers could die in a week.

As already mentioned in this topic, the only real reason they aren’t tradeable is because they Cut into the profits made by the selling of keys, and ST items. If these items became easily obtainable, the profits of this game would collapse. If you’re in this to make money, why would you intentionally hurt your profit?

I’m all for monetising, and if they are going to sell some untiereds in the nexus/boxes, the ST system at least makes a clear distinction between which ones are and aren’t sold.

Here’s what I don’t understand though: What is the sales strategy?

If it is “selling STs in boxes for people to either use if they wish, or trade for items they really want (lifes/etc)”, then why make the new warrior STs soulbound and reduce the desirability in the eyes of the box purchaser as they can’t be sold on in the event of duplicate/unwanted items?

If the idea was warrior ST soulbound means “people will buy boxes to get the exclusive items” – same as pet stones – then why continue with the other STs unsoulbound & freely available for anyone to get ahold of?

If there was some strategy behind it in Kabam era, Deca themselves sure aren’t following it!

More than anything I yearn for Deca to just decide on an approach they want for sb/unsb in the game, and ruthlessly pursue that agenda. Using the same efficiency and attitude they clearly can muster when you consider other things they have done such as launch the recent Mountain Temple, take on feedback and rebalance it only a short time later, the game would be in good order in no time.

The status quo though, just screams “we are so scared of our playerbase that we dare not make a decision”.

You might remember though, players did used to track white bags in the ancient unsb days of Rotmg, except it was ones they personally had looted, (making it more akin to current “PPE” as just a personal thing to do, on the honour-system). Getting white bags was a side quest (and a bonus!) alongside just playing the game for fun.

& rarity should apply equally between the endless* Pixies available to melee-lover from the traders versus the bow-lover needing to farm UDLs for a dbow, wand-lover crystals for a Cwand.
*176 offers at time of writing.

I should mention for the benefit of newer players that not everything listed happened in a block (grave bags stopped in Oct 2011, ammys fully stopped Nov 2012, UT went sb in Mar/Apr 2013 (last chance UT weekend Sep 2013). I’d also argue it’s possible that RWT & duping could be continuing on today more than ever with the shops/websites but no way to know.

It is also worth considering that the extra survivability pets give, and hackclient autonexus, are massive contributors to items remaining in the game, far more than in the “old days”. Even amulets needed replacing when they broke, unlike autonexus which I have seen save one moron 4-5 times in the space of 30 minutes. And regardless of game content, there’s only the same way to die as ever: incoming dmg exceeds HP bar :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :skull_crossbones:

You brought up an excellent point. The entirety of the game-breaking topic that is pets is without a doubt the sole reason that UT’s are so much more common. There never should be a time someone can use their ability indefinitely, or be healed the equivalent of 2-3 health pots every 7-10 seconds, it’s stupid absurd.

But pets are what made the money in this game, I can only imagine how much revenue has been made with pets, but pets were never something that was initially considered beyond a vanity item, the closest there ever was that I can remember on the old wild shadows wiki was people wanting to make drakes from drake eggs permanent pets.

There’s already a thread about this, and I don’t want to pummel this already overly argued ‘pets being good or bad’ topic any more than it has, but you can’t ignore exactly how game-breaking they are when it comes to allowing people to perform and get the UT’s to begin with.

We all know that pets are here to stay, I don’t know the numbers myself, but I wouldn’t be surprised if pet related purchases are half the revenue, so the side effects (things like soulbound Ut’s) are just fickle we will all have to deal with.

Boi.

We are talking about UTs!!!
A lot more then swords dude.

Dbow,Cbow,Lbow,Fulmi,Conduct,PROT,JUGG,(all the random spells).BIFF HELM, and others.

Yeah… If eveyrone had one might as well downgrade white bags.

When did you get this one? I need it.

I thought about something while reading your post. I thought that the only way to make UT tradable would be to erase all UTs in player’s vaults and inventory.

Then I had this idea : what if, Deca made new servers where you would start from 0, but where there would be no pets and UTs would be tradable? This would make it so people that want to stay as they were in normal servers could keep playing like today, but people that want more difficulty and would like to play more like before UT soulbounding could also have a shot at those new worlds.

I can’t imagine them wanting to sink the time and effort into something like this, but I know a group of people who do things like this all the time. These people are who I used to work for and where I spent most of my time with RotMG the past 2-3 years. Unfortunately they are frowned upon by most people here as there are two parts to all they’ve done, and one of those parts involves abusing cheats in DECA’s RotMG.

I dont understand. If you think STs are basically UTs if not better than what would be the point of making UTs tradable if they are worse

Etherite > Dirk
Pixie > Dblade
Ancient > Tab

There’s a lot more and it’s not even opinion it’s facts tell me one reason why dirk is better, .5 more range my ass that does shit it’s not like your actually gonna use it to advantage

I have no idea what this statement is supposed to be

He saying that pets make csowrds obsolete

BC you are too poor and smart enough not to waste wealth on buying a pixie

But…they don’t…

Ehm … conflict = Dmg buff + Speedy +(3 att +3 dex)
st orb = Beserk + speedy +(+2 ATT, +1 DEX, +1 SPD, +20 MP )

How is conflict the same as the st orb ???
Conflict is 2op

1. You can buff with t6 and conflict at a time = beserk and dmging <---- Thats op when theres no warrior / pally
  2. 3att+3dex> +2 ATT, +1 DEX, +1 SPD, +20 MP

And yeah trading uts would be aids because people would start to dupe those … and rwt … that would kill the game :confused:

How?

probably b/c there is no need for extra range with an op pet.

So you can sit on Oryx if you have a divine pet?

Discuss that with the person who orginally made that post.

If you’re a knight, yes. That’s why I hate pets.