UT Weekend! GOOD or BAD for the game?!

The main source of economy in the game was already duped to hell, its value didn’t go down from the first time it started dropping. Just because there is a lot of them, doesn’t mean it’s any less rare.

Who needs to play league when there are Challengers who you know you’ll never succeed against? It’s a game, the point of playing it is to kill time, Dungeon ideas are given left and right, the UTs are just tools, not the goals, I feel like people forget that.

So be a better person by resisting it? 8 Stars don’t know what a Dscale is, unless someone is going to give them the Jugg for free, it’s highly likely that it won’t come into their possession until they have knowledge of its existence. I know when I was first starting, all I wanted was Mithirl Chainmail armor, and I thought it was like the best armor in the game.

I wish I could give more likes.

Well yes, I could just choose not to buy UTs, but it’s not that easy.
I think Poopythell said it pretty nicely:

Indeed, that is exactly it. And that is just how I play.

Also, if you scroll up a bit you can see my great wall of text and the conversation following it, which sums up the rest that I have to say about this topic.

Edit:

These are very subjective statements, and you try to push them as if they were objective. I get what you mean, but that does not mean your opinion is absolute.

He was complaining about a moral obligation to participate because everyone else is doing it. I told him that he simply could not. Did I say something false? Nope.

The same thing could be said for the analogy I made. The goal of the game is closing the realm/defeating the dungeon/defeating Oryx, etc… the items you do it with are just the tools, that’s all they’ve been.

Again, people are different and think differently about different things.

One could simply ignore the entire UT trading, but as I said in my wall of text I will always take the easy route and kinda hate myself after.
This is just me being weird, but that is just how I am.

Also, i don’t really see the UTs and such as tools, I see them as achievements or collectibles. Same with every dungeon and event. They are small achievements which may lead to getting collectibles, or UTs. And again, that is just how I think and how I do things.

Anyways, it doesn’t seem like any of us are able to convince each other, so let’s just agree to disagree. It’s 2AM here and I kinda need to sleep.

I’ll just repost what I posted last time we had this discussion (here, a thread that is still open, by the way):

When talking about tradability of UTs, it always comes to mind that we can basically separate the community in two types of players: the ones that play for the experience and the ones that play for collectables.
  • The ones that play for the experience care about pewpewing everything around them and watching all the enemies go boom. RotMG, to those people, is about that stupid fun of running around killing whatever is in sight and not worry about anything else. They don’t want any kind system getting in their way of killing stuff as efficiently as possible and so they want it to be easy to acquire whatever they need to be best they can be. UTs, for them, serve the purpose of making the gameplay more varied. Those people normally are in favor of UTs being tradable;
  • The ones that play for collectables care about seeing that shiny white bag appear when an enemies goes boom. RotMG, to those people, is about having their work compensated by getting something that most players can’t easily get. They want to make sure that the only way to get the itens they have is to spend about the same time they themselves have spent in the game. UTs, for them, serve the purpose of a prize to be shown and maybe envied. Those people normally are against UTs being tradable.

Now, these definitions are not binary, you can very well play for the the experience and the collectables (or you can play for neither). Most players I think will show varying degrees of both interests. Also, keep in mind those are not the only deciding factors to consider when talking about the commerciality of UTs.

The real question is: how to conciliate these two types of players?

And then later, that same conversation:

On one hand, I feel like the game was built from the ground for players of the first category I mentioned. Lack of registration (no longer in place), no level requirement in items (still in place, thanks Mad God) and permanent death (like they’ll ever remove that) seems to imply the game wants people to hop on and start shooting right away, without worrying about what they have, but only about what they’ll do with whatever they have. And even if you wanted to take pride in grinding for a certain UT, you could. So what if another player bought his UT? That doesn’t change the fact you “worked” for yours.

On the other hand, what I just wrote is irrelevant, to a certain extent. The game now attracts players of the second category and they are a big part of the community. Not taking what they feel is important in the game seriously would be a reckless and somewhat disrespectful move from whoever is in charge.

In the end, my question still stands: how to conciliate “experience” players (the first category) and “collectable” players (the second category)? I don’t know. And I’m afraid nobody knows.

It’s a delicate subject and I’d be suprised if we came out from any thread about it with a definitive answer on what to do.

so basically, ur encouraging duping???

I would like to ask though, which of these two groups are in the most danger of leaving the game? In its current state I mean. I would argue for the first variety, these are people who dislike dull moments, moments in video games that don’t promote moving forward whether it be with plot, dungeons, or what have you. And those are the type of people, that I now see sitting in P-train all day, just collecting fame, biding their time until the new distraction comes along. I feel like unSb will add more of a team aspect to this game (as it’s supposed to be a game for team play before anything else I feel) because people will farm a dungeon for their friend, with their friend in toe, so that they can get the item he needs so that they can do another harder dungeon (or if it’s one day implemented, raids). WoW has managed to survive many years on that basis alone, on the basis that your team will always be there to help you should you lose everything, now it is only limited by SB.

We had it first, the game was built upon it. It’s as simple as that, it’s supposed to be in the game. It’s not like UTs have been soulbounded since the beginning, and the people who want it gone are some group of upstarts that want to destroy the balance of the game, nor do I think Deca cares enough about ‘the economy’ to factor that into the final decision. It’s a harsh reality that the second group of players, are less likely to say ‘grats’ when someone else gets a white bag, and instead starts comparing how much better they are to that player, and how they worked harder for it. UnSb will essentially get rid of that attitude imo.

It means ?

I’ve defended both sides of the argument multiple times. To be honest I’m just tired of this whole discussion.

But I think there is at least one argument that will always be valid, no matter where you stand on this: no half-measures.

Either Deca keeps UTs soulbound and makes it work, or they unsoulbind them all forever.

UT weekends are just pandering to keep the children quiet when there’s no other shiny thing to dangle in front of them to grab their attention. It’s purely a PR move, not a game design one. What’s worse, afterwards they’ll only feel entitled to have more.

I think I agree with you on the answer of this question, players of the first group are more likely to leave the game as it is now.

Sure, in the beginning UTs were not soulbounded, but the game changed a lot over the years. So much so that now many would argue soulbounded UTs are a core part of what this game is. Simply catering to one of the two groups and leaving the other behind will make you lose players.

I say all that as someone who would like to have unsoulbounded UTs in the game. But what I’d like to happen and what is better for the game are probably two different things.

This kinda sums it up. The game is currently stuck in between two worlds, with the über low UT drop rates from a time when trading was a normal part of the way players acquired UTs.

Sb/unsb is something that Deca should lead from the front with, by which I mean a “braintrust” at Deca needs to decide what their principles are going to be for the game, including sb/unsb, and then work to make their game fit their vision… and communicate it to us of course.

UT weekend(s) being a bad thing because it does nothing to address the underlying ongoing problems with the current situation of low drop rate+sb combo. I want players to have better access to UTs, but not by the randomness of who happens to have been lucky to be online on a certain weekend of the year.

@ConsoleMC

Formatting

You currently have it like this:

BAD:
[details=Summary]RWT, Being Scammed of your Precious UT, Bugs[…]because DECA’s excuse of a server can’t handle that many people in the trading servers, etc.
[/details]

You need it like this:

BAD:
(a blank line)
[details=Summary] (you can replace the word Summary with whatever you like)
(a blank line)
RWT, Being Scammed of your Precious UT, Bugs[…]because DECA’s excuse of a server can’t handle that many people in the trading servers, etc.
(a blank line)
[/details]
(a blank line)

Some Art From The Heart

Just hover over it and you see that it means Real World Trading, or trading in-game items for money.

I wonder, though. If they’re so keen on keeping soulbound, why not just add a market place, where you can buy items for other items and due to this middleman, you still keep soulbound?

GIMME A JUGG DAMMIT!

deca pls

#KABAM LIED AAHAAHAHAHAAHA!!!
go cry me a river, no one cares.

I choose to look at the situation this way:
it’s not happening, give up now. if this is something you cannot accept, go play another game. if for some bizarre reason you’ve invested more money into the game than you’re willing to part with than you must not be as opposed to sb UT’s as you claim to be

sb UT’s persuade more people to buy more keys so they can run more dungeons to get more of their precious UT’s. they also encourage players to spend more on their pet so they can run the dungeons faster to get the UT’s that they want. it also encourages players to put buy more vault chests because the UT’s cannot be put on mule accounts. all of this means more and more money for DECA, they would be fools to pass that up.

But it also persuades less people to view this as a team game. People won’t run dungeons because they wanna get something for their friend, they do it for selfish reasons.

It’s just like when people no longer say grats, or when they do it’s more out of annoyance that they didn’t get a white.

Or Dupers will get a brain and use mules

I disagree, not all white stars are that way.

please stop