Vault Chest bugged - Don't buy Vault Chests!

Edit:

This has been fixed. Thus, <thread>. [OB]

Cross-post from /r/RotMG.

Hey there everyone,

As some of you might have noticed, the Vault Chests’ price are currently not showing 500 gold but more (most people reported 800 but we’ve seen numbers going up to 2200 gold).

Please note that this is not only a visual bug (you will be paying 800 or whatever price is shown), so I urge everyone to refrain from buying Vault Chests until we fix the bug! Also, it goes without saying that this is not an intentional price increase - we do not plan to increase the price of Vault Chests anytime soon.

If you did buy a Vault Chest that ended up costing more than 500, do not worry! We will be sending back the difference once we fix the issue (though please don’t give us more work by intentionally buying Vault Chests are at the wrong prices, you’ll end up with less gold until the bug’s gone).

PS: We’re also working on the Pet Bug fix, for those who worry.

whoever spends the most on a vault wins :slight_smile:

Anytime soon sounds suspicious

I don’t think there’s anything suspicious about it. In this case, they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they raised prices now.

Also, their track record so far has been to give more for less, and vaults are not really a big money maker so it would be an ineffective strategy to try to drive revenue by nickel and diming people “accidentally” or on purpose.

I’d have a little faith this time.

being the key word.

Let’s be honest, who just buys vault chests individually when you can wait for a pack?

THANK JESUS CHRIST frik that was getting annoying.

I feel like they’re doing something behind the scenes with regards to number handling, that’s the only way I can link the recent bugs.

Not sure why they would need to though.

“the fixening” but coming with more bug lol. i’m still waiting for pet fix :anguished:

How the fuck do you “accidentally” make vault prices more expensive. Like really.

…potential accidental addition to game?

Also how tf do u make it so that only maxed divine pets arent affected by the pet bug???

if(pet.level == petlevels.maxed && pet.rarity == petrarities.divine) {
    special handling...
}

I think pets are grouped into a single class. It probably has to do something with the levels, since 100/X/X were not affected.

A possible way that all pets except level 100 are bugged is:

If they have some kind of maths to calculate how often to give a heal, with a MaxRate hardwritten into the code for level 100 and a MinRate hardwritten in for level 1.

Then for all pet levels 2-99, the game might be trying to calculate a heal rate for our pets, based on some balance between MaxRate and MinRate, ie. A x MaxRate + B x MinRate.

If an error/bug is affecting this calculation, it could be coming up with something that Rotmg can’t interpret, so it defaults to granting us only a level 1 heal rate.

Then because Level 100 is based purely on the hardwritten MaxRate, maybe Rotmg doesn’t need to do a calculation, but just looks directly at the MaxRate number, thus level 100 pets would not be affected by whatever is going wrong.

Just one possible explanation, and I’m surely far simplifying things in this idea than what the game is actually doing.

PT: Vital Combat & Exaltations

Sounds like a decent idea.

Keeping in might i have no knowledge of flash programming.

Seeing as how haphazardly the sprite sheets are organised, would it not be unreasonable to assume that the code is laid out similarly. With this mentality we can see that obviously assume DECA has been playing with files which likely contain constants related to calculating this data:

(http://guidescroll.com/2014/05/rotmg-pet-heal-and-mheal-data/)

This theory fits within the idea of spaghetti code, however not in the description of “The code is written terribly”, more the idea that the program is badly organised between files.

You threw me for a moment! I was just looking at that exact same graph on another tab, to help me reply to this thread about pets.

Each time I look at that scale on the left side, I can’t help remembering that the majority of the game was designed for max vits of (what is now) 40! Crazy.

I take a coding class, and that could be a reason why only levels 2-99 are affected.

I think the error would be during the calculation of the values of A and B. I think that 100/100/100 divine pets are not affected because A and B are fixed constants for them. If this is true, and assuming the game calculates based on what you assumed they did, the devs would have scaled every pet level from 100/100/100, meaning that 100/100/100 pets were created first and every other level would have been created based on this.

This is all speculation but I think you went a bit too far with the assumptions of 100 pets being created “first”.

What I think Nevov was trying to get at (I have zero coding experience for the record) was not that 100 pets were the baseline, but a combination of level 1 and level 100 pet values.

Which would make sense; level 1 pets heal every 4 seconds and level 100 pets heal every second. If the MinRates/MaxRates that Nevov was talking about was the baseline, you can’t say that it’s purely dependent on the 100 heal rate.

For level 1, (where MinRate = 4 // MaxRate = 1):

MinRate*1 + MaxRate*0 = 4 second interval

For level 100:

MinRate*0 + MaxRate*1 = 1 second interval

But for levels in between, maybe the MaxRate multiplier got screwed up. How the math works [for the multiplier changes per-level] out to form an exponential function, I have no idea, but again, speculation :wink:

Edit: Actually I’m kinda interested, gonna fool around on Excel kek.

I would think that min rate and max rate would be fixed constants and A/B would be manipulated based on the pet levels.

Simply call a method petHealing(x); with a parameter of x or something. This var x would be the pet level. Under the method petHealing, you can get values for A and B using some random calculations. Then call a function that calculates the entire healing using A, B as parameters.

My terminology is probably wrong, but hey, I’m bad at coding.

I also did overanalyze everything.

Oh hey, I remember another thing that OB told me a while ago:

-https://www.realmeye.com/forum/t/pet-heal-mheal-data-quirk/1190/

So I think the interval between heals vs. pet level isn’t linear, and it works with heal values to make that exponential curve. Because it’s not linear, this tells us that the calculations are more complex than a simple constant n’ multiplier, and maybe that’s where things got screwed up?

I have no idea.

Edit: Just realized that the “exponential” graph was of vit and pet level, not the actual heal values. REEEE. Also I lied, interval between heals for level 1 is 10 seconds.
http://guidescroll.com/2014/05/rotmg-pet-heal-and-mheal-data/

Edit2: Nvm, hp/s is also exponential. I made a graph of delay vs. pet level below:

It looks like delay gets changed on intervals, for example, level 1-5 seems to be linear, and level 85-90 has no change (as OB said). Quirky.