Vital Combat: 3 Months Later

So as of today, December 23, 2020, the vital combat update has been in the game for thee months. I have put together a poll to see if you guys think the game was better before or after the massive update on September 23rd.
Please note that I not only mean the vital combat system but also the changes to priest, paladin, and mystic.

• Game was better before September 23rd
  • Game was better after September 23rd

0 voters

I personally believe it was better before, though I do think that update had a lot of good in it, such as the rebalance to classes and exaltations. The part that I didn’t think was the right direction for the game to go was with the new hp scaling and vital combat system. Please post any comments you have below!
~DeeBomb

Just dodge and your 500 wis pet will keep giving you mp to spam your greasy space bar as a true gamer

You’ll find my dissertation of pet abilities and how it scaled the game terribly, strewn across plenty of my most liked replies on this site.

TDLR: This update brought back skill to the game and was necessary for its longevity.

The update made me want to play mystic more, made Paladin a lot more fast-paced, but also made Prot somewhat painful to use at times, albeit better for balance. I like it.
still waiting for them to change the +4 vit to +4 def…
Now, however, I barely want to play on my Mystic because of the Oryxmas set skin 8(

One time I was Spencer’s video (something like “Deca is Destroying Discord but It’s Beautiful”), one of the comment was rather not-so-pleasant. Yes, it’s particularly about Vital Combat and quadratic HP scaling.

IICR, one particular comment was approximately “Discord (possibly raid servers) taught me tons of shit… I spent 900 USD in this game… me and my guildmates quit the game until the update gets reverted”.

Just seeing this comment was rather hilarious. That just told me that dude was Discord-reliant.

The Vital Combat update was a very bold decision that attempted to address many of the issues the game had in regards to balance. Dodging became necessary to maintain pets, defense is arguably on par with HP, vitality isn’t worthless, and some of the most powerful classes/items have seen some much needed attention.

These were all issues the community complained about on repeated occasions, and all were addressed to varying degrees. The game still isn’t perfect, but it has far more replayability now that there is a greater skill ceiling and certain character builds are actually worth trying out.

I honestly think it was the best update RotMG has had all-time, even if it’s not the update that actually brought me back to the game.

Me: still see typical HP rings everywhere instead of Def/Vit.

Hp is still better defensively almost always, with the exception being early game dungeons. In endgame dungeons it’s not even close.

We’re going to just go through this “dance of the meta” again with the rings, huh…

Yep, we should probably try to keep this on topic ig

The changes were kinda weak in my opinion. They could have done a lot more. Vital Combat didn’t come close to the pet nerf this game really needs.

I’ll take it, though. I think doing much more would start hurting less skilled players badly, even though I’m in favor of pet nerfs.

We liked the pain just fine when we were new :wink:

Also, new players have shit pets. In my opinion, it only hurts players that wasted money on their pet.

Yeah, I personally didn’t mind.

Evil grinning

Mostly better, but still seems broken in significant ways.

The good thing is it’s made gameplay much more engaging in that you pay much more attention to shots + dodging. Some things take longer to do as you take breaks for In Combat to wear off and recover some HP/MP, but that just winds back the gameplay to more like it was when pets were new, were not so OP.

As it impacts high level pets most, it makes lower level pets more viable. With other changes such as 2x boosts to HP/MP regeneration, lowering the duration/impact of many nerfs, it should make the early game a better experience.

But it still seems broken as it’s so unbalanced. The difference between 50 and 60 def, say, used to be just you take 10 more damage per shot. But hopefully you get shot less as you can stand further away, or have some other ability like a cloak that can let you get close. Now though it also means you get put In Combat more, often far more, so you need far more downtime to recover, while e.g. melee classes that take more shots from getting in close can just keep taking them.

I find I now spend some time with a new class learning what puts me In Combat, what not. I have a rough idea obviously but I don’t know the precise amounts of damage each enemy does, I am not going to sit down with a calculator working them out, so i get in game, take some damage and make a mental note which puts me In Combat.

Even worse is vit, which determines the time it takes IC to wear off. But class vit caps seem pretty arbitrary. At best they are based on previous ideas about gameplay, such as healers would not need much vit because they can heal themselves. But some just seem random.

They are clearly aware of this as many newer items and sets include vit and/or healing. But nothing has been done for older sets or tiered gear, and it puts some classes at a big disadvantage.

I think the game is better now after the vital combat update.

All the new dungeons and redesigns are well thought out and engaging.

Dungeon hp scaling, exaltations, transparency, potion changes, and item forge have all been great additions to the game.

The item forge has added new loot for people to get excited about. It’s already opened up a lot of options from forging items you need to making candy armors for your pet.

In addition enemies like the appetizer provide a reliable way to get pet food.

Definitely more positives since the update.

The issue still remains how to allow noobs into high level dungeons without killing the group dps.

alright wheres the real backpedal :flushed:

i guess it’s kinda a love hate relationship. on one hand it’s better for the game that you can’t just mindless LH with a million priests and mseals. on the other hand when ur grinding like 10+ hrs a day u just want it to be as braindead as possible lol. especially with how :monkey: i play, dodging 2 hard just let me tank shit ;-;

mbc is kinda poo poo, which I wouldn’t mind except void is largely unchanged by ic ooc aside from a slight impediment in full rotating

Vit is still shit

I did remember back in MotMG, he did say “I’m giving this update a chance.”

Meaning to see wherever if the actual change is beneficial or harmful in the long run.

I am finding I actually enjoy the smaller runs much better now and that they go faster.

I also like how the game is putting more emphasis on preparation. Going into spider dens to get some ichors or manors to get holy waters gives players additional options.

And I like how you feel rewarded in high level dungeons even if you get 0 because you’re building up exalts.

The biggest concerns I had was being unable to get items back for a long time and the time required to consistently max characters. They’ve been addressing these issues so they deserve credit.