Wakizashi alt ability?

I get that Samurai’s supposed to be a bit squishier than other heavy armor classes because he has slightly longer range but it’s only by 1.245 tiles. He can’t even dodge as fast as Ninja to compensate nor is he as defensively capable as other heavy classes. He also has the lowest DPS compared to all Katana/Sword classes.

So… what if the Wakizashi granted Armored for 20 mp/sec? Samurai seems like he’s supposed to be Ninja’s defensive counterpart, but he’s not super tanky. Something like the star’s mana drain but on samurai could be cool. It would require skill to use to its full potential especially with how much it costs. Also, he’ll have a role to fill instead of just being in a weird middle ground.

I played it for a bit and it’s fine for me. Both dps and defence are decent and i really like katana’s range compared to swords.

Samurai has the same defense as paladin and about 50 less hp, in exchange for over 33% more range.

His DPS is supposed to be lower because of said range, and he has the support effect of the Waki when being compared to Ninja.

In addition, consider instead the hypothetical situation where Samurai did have more dps over Ninja. The only thing the latter would then have over him would be speed (cool, but only a 5 spd difference excluding the star’s situational speedy) and range (the star isn’t quite spammable, and while 900 damage is nice, it’s not something to really make it so much better).

Samurai can be seen as a more “balanced” ninja, exchanging consistent dps and speed for better survivability and rawer, close-range damage output - don’t forget that wakis are one of the more powerful and consistent burst damage options in the game.
Some people may say spells are better, and while it is true for perfect spellbombs, those are many times less reliable to connect than “perfect” waki slashes.
And compared to another high-damage burst ability, the Void Quiver, it may lose out in raw damage (especially to enemies with higher def, thanks to Armor Piercing), but ~4 tiles is a distance that’s way safer than less than a tile to achieve said damage.

I agree that Samurai is not the most perfect class; a recent census had it as the least fun class, even surpassing Mystic. But try to at least give him a shot, and think less of him as a true melee that facetanks. That’s not what he should be doing: it’s to be balanced.

I actually disliked samurai a lot before the recent reworks and recently gave him a shot.

With breastplate’s 2 more def, samurai with a potato and bplate can hit a solid 50 def and 900 hp (using the 20 hp from t6), while it’s dps and speed are solid due to potato’s buffs.

Pretty decent class now imo

I found Samurai very tanky. With the ability and high piercing DPS he can do massive damage to a single enemy or group like no other class, so eliminate most threats before they do much damage. The ability and weapon synergise well so you do damage and exposed to whatever is in front of you before finishing them off quickly with your katana while exposed.

The closest is Knight which plays similarly, except you stun before finishing them off. But with most swords not piercing he still needs to finish them off one-by-one, which can take longer with your 50 dex.

The only downside is the ability which is harder to use especially in dungeons. But this makes it more interesting, and it makes it more useful in e.g. shooting round corners or over walls.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the Samurai. I think he’s unique and has his own spin on burst damage. I just thought Armored would be cool to give him an alternate ability to show how he’s both similar yet different from the Ninja… though I wonder if having Armored would make him broken.

I mean if you don’t find him same enough. bp+ray=immortal samurai

I do find samurai quite vanilla to play, not entirely a bad thing, but not very thrilling.
A melee with a ‘hold to grant armoured’ would be a very fun tanking class.
So yes, whether that be done as a change to wakizashi, or as a fully new class, I’d want to play it more than current samurai.

And it would make a nice pairing with both katana wielders then having abilities that were: hold to do X, release to do Y.

If only Kabam didn’t make those type of on-hold things so dang stupid…
Aurum originally wanted the Crystalline Kunai to throw 3 of them when used, but because Kabam, stars literally can’t throw more than one projectile. The only thing he could do to achieve such a star would be to remove the main projectile, then add on a “waki” shot instead.
I’m not sure if OnHoldActivate has the same restriction, but considering the Crystal Shield, the only other on-hold ability in the game, also only shoots one shot…I’m not very confident that it does that.
Then again, since wakis use a slightly different shot type, it might be possible? Though you may also get Shots: 0 as tooltip text -n-

It’s kinda funny cause I thought of that idea cause he’s unlocked through Knight and Ninja and I was like “hey, what if he can be as tanky as knight but only temporarily?”. I would really like to have a tank that can be very squishy when caught off-guard.

Not related to armored, but when is there going to be a teleportation waki. Need this in my life,

no. STRIKE AMULETS WILL NEVER BE IMPLEMENTED

teleports behind you like this?
slash

Let me introduce you to a class called the trickster.

Visible confusion

Ok, let me now introduce to you the UT item ‘Cloak of the Planewalker’.

This seems illogical. This isn’t exactly what a wakizashi does… this is a shield you’re describing.
Based on pure logic, I must reject this idea.

Like this idea, but it should be active only when holding down the spacebar (I would give name that Waki: Shogun’s Blessing).

I don’t exactly remember holding a ninja star increasing one’s agility in real life either, but sure