Wakizashi of Vengeance [+ Some New Concepts]

Last time I did an equipment idea was back in 2019. So…hi.

Wakizashi of Vengeance

WakizashiFire s879c9U%20(1)

Tier UT
MP Cost 125
On Equip +6 SPD, -25 HP
Effects Vigor to all players in range
Duration 3 seconds
Range 5 tiles + 0.5 for every 10 VIT over 60
Shots 1
Damage 400–420 (average: 410)
Special Inverse Enemy Defense
Projectile Speed 15 tile(s)/second
Lifetime 0.4 second(s)
Max Cast Range 4 tiles
Fame Bonus 5%
Soulbound Soulbound
Feed Power 1,000
Drop Location TBA (thinking of adding this to a dungeon idea)
  • The projectile pattern is very similar to tiered Wakizashi, but with less range and slightly slower speed.

• Projectiles do not pierce enemies, so it is best saved for one enemy, or sometimes two if the user is skilled enough. This is not a huge problem in boss fights, as there are usually fewer enemies.

• The Fungal Breastplate could be used along with this item to maximize the VitMod.

I feel like I’m missing something, but anyways, that’s basically it.
Overall, it’s a rough idea that could use a lot of polishing. Let me know what you think!

hi

Hi :two_hearts:

Oh, wait, I get it now. I’m an idiot. Took me a good ten seconds.

There’s a lot here to unpack, so I’m going to take it piece by piece.

Vigor:
This is a pretty cool buff, honestly. I like it a lot as a subversion of Exposed, and it’d work well on a Waki.

Inverse Enemy Defense:
This one, on the other hand, I’m not as fond of. The concept’s interesting, yeah, but in practice, I feel like it’d cause more issues than it’d fix. You’d only really want to use it on an enemy with high Def, but the majority of enemies with super high Def (O3 and the Nightmare Colony, for instance) would have to be immune since their high Def is a core mechanic of their fights. I just don’t see it working well practically.

Overall Item:
I always go with a rule of thumb when working with UT’s: they should differ in only one core function from tiered abilities. If they change too much, the function of the item gets a bit muddied.
This item uses 2 brand new condition effects and uses a new Vit Mod functionality. Don’t get me wrong, I really appreciate and enjoy the creativity, but it seems like this item could easily be split across 3 items successfully, and each of those items would be more feasible to add to Prod.

So, it’s not bad, and it’s pretty interesting, but I think it does too much, honestly.

That’s… cool as an idea, but I have to agree with Atrapper here. If you have an enemy with funky defense, like 38, it flips to 83 instead. I know for a fact I’ve seen some peculiar monsters out there like that.

Very true! Now that I look back at it, it sounds cool, but would run into a lot of issues like you said. What I originally planned was an item that grows stronger when fighting harder enemies. I’m not sure how to change it into an actually feasible concept, but I’ll keep it around since it was one of the main points that I wanted to bring up. Thanks for your insight!

Could you elaborate on that? I don’t know what you mean by “flipping” the DEF. The way the inverse thing works (though I do admit it’s a broken idea) simply halves the enemy’s DEF and adds that as extra damage. So a monster with 38 DEF would be dealt the normal damage + 19 damage.

If we’re doing a true inversion in math, typically it refers to reciprocals or the likes; for instance, 38 would become 1/38 with a * 1/a, but that wouldn’t makes much sense here, and neither did I think (at the time, before you mentioned the att increase) would the other standard inversion in math for reversing positive and negative numbers, with -(a). So I assumed the more literal reversal method of inversion to acquire my :

Definition of inversion

1 : a reversal of position, order, form, or relationship:

Forgive me, I’m not trying to be challenging. An honest misunderstanding on my part, it appears, after reading your response.

Sprite may need an overhaul. At the moment it looks too busy, and if you remove the business it may look too much like the Sakura Wakizashi.

In addition, I feel like adding too many extra effects doesn’t seem right just for one UT. Making it inflict an effect that’s (currently) not inflictible by players would be fine though. Maybe make it inflict Armor Broken or grant Damaging/an ATK boost?

Hmph, I take personal offense to that >:[
One’s red, the other’s pink/purple. One’s blade is facing down, the other’s blade is facing up. One’s blade is curved, the other’s blade is straight. One emits fire, the other doesn’t. Not too many similarities.

Agreed. Like I mentioned previously, I’m just keeping all of them since I want to introduce all of the effects in one thread to get feedback and such.

Armor Broken is a bit similar to Exposed and is something that should be kept exclusive to event whites like the Ogmur and Crystal Venom. I avoided using any sort of direct damaging boost (Damaging, Berserk, +ATT, +DEX, etc.) because it’s so common (Seals, Helms, a few Stars, a Prism, a Trap, at least one Cloak, and much more). It got really old.

Personally, I don’t think Vigor is a good idea. We already have so many DPS increasing status effects, this is just going to make the steamroll meta even more prominent. Especially when it’s literally a better Exposed for the majority of endgame content, and you can focus on any enemy with it.

Samurai has 60 base Vitality, I believe. Forcing the Samurai to use dedicated equipment to put the VitMod to use. Most if not all of that equipment is either extremely situational or just bad, so I think this seems redundant.

The Inverse Defense seems to niche to use, and in places that you can use it effectively, it just defeats the purpose of the enemy. So I don’t think this a great idea, either.