Weaknesses of bow classes?

Currently we have dungeons that are relatively more difficult for melees, such as Oryx 2, LoD and (public) tombs, as well as places where squishy wizards are inferior, like abysses. Anti-rogue mechanisms? Sure, we have those. Statuses to prevent healing? Yup, quiet and silence. Knight-negation? Mhmm.

And yes, there are plenty of enemies immune to paralysis. But archers and huntresses simply don’t care because they are not as reliant on their abilities as other classes are on theirs, and many paralysis-immune enemies are vulnerable to slow anyway. The wiki writes:

but the Doom Bow has been ignoring defense for years with 2 extra range to boot. Poor speed can be alleviated by leather armors, and there’s no hurry when you only need one shot to reach soulbound threshold anyway.

So how could we make content that is specifically harder for bow classes?

turn friendly fire on
and don’t tell the archers

To be fair, bows tend to get stuck in a spot where they have no sustain. They are kind of middle of the road in a lot of ways. Staves and Wands get to abuse range and dps (depending on which one) and they specifically have to avoid flak and quiets and outrange/heal through the rest. Swords and Daggers tend to have either durability or mobility on their side. Swords tend to avoid the heavy bullets and armour breaks and tank the flak. Daggers tend to use their mobility to avoid heavy shots and flak and dodge key effects along with their abilities usually granting some utility towards this. Bow classes are rarely reliant on their abilities yes, but they also have the problem that they have low speed and are still comparatively squishy with no mobility to make up for it. All they do is raw damage, they’re a pretty good personification of “offense is the best defense”. They tend to be stuck at a middle range where they have to avoid both flak and heavy damage but have no way to sustain their own health, not to mention if it’s dbow in particular you’re talking about, you have to make every shot land. You can’t stay in extended fights and every arrow that doesn’t land is 900 damage you didn’t do. Your ability being relatively unimpactful is both a blessing and a curse. It means quiets don’t really matter but it also means you’re not much better even with your mana. On the other hand, getting weakened or dazed immediately shuts you down.
Tl:Dr Bows are more balanced than people like to think. Unimpactful ability is both blessing and curse.

So a big disadvantage that bow classes have is their lower speed, so make a fairly long dungeon with no teleporting and a pretty straightforward map, with slow enemies that shoot slow flak damage bullets and have decent hp. melees can tank damage as they run past, dagger classes can dodge past, but bow classes have to stop at least every once in a while to regain hp. wizards and sorcs would also have trouble, but mystics, priests and necros would be fine with their abilities.

Pretty much yeah, that’s perfect

I’m a range and dps abuser :smiley:

I main archer my man :stuck_out_tongue:
I know its ins and outs

Personally I think bow classes are boring idk why

Shatter drags and ice spheres are the weakness of archers.

Para para paralize… lelxd if not just slow lol

Playing bow classes for a good while, I’ve noticed that their weakness is their sheer vulnerability and squishiness, it has notably much higher damage and not a good way to disengage and reengage like the Ninja, who is also as squishy. @Killith you summed up my own point beautifully.

Hello, Desire here. I have been maining Archer for many years now and i can say, There are little to no disadvantages. If you think low speed is a problem? they have just as much as a melee or a wizard so to say, along with the combination of a single shot high damaging bow, or a swap out that will SHRED through any mobs/gods in its path? Oh baby, and there is even more. The ability to paralyze or slow? Game Breaking. Scared because you think you are to squishy? Play the class like its meant to be, AT A RANGE instead of getting up close and personal. Overall, I feel as if bow classes are the most balanced but at the same time and the most broken, all you have to do is abuse your range, use your swap out bow, and use your ability.

tshot giving you extra range and more consistent damage doesn’t help nerf it either

Ah yes, the Doom Bow, the very first weapon to ever pierce defense. Mmh. Yep. Always dealt purple damage numbers, never red ones. Uh-huh.

I’m gonna say that really, the one key factor that nerfs down bow classes is their reliance on untiered bows to make them lots more effective. Any Archer or Huntress, even after the tiered Bow buff, can still go perfectly fine without.
That said, there are some situations where it may be preferable to use a different class, but the bow classes’ usefulness in pretty much every aspect just…beats it.

Obviously, the reason he considers doom bow pierces armor is that Doom Bow’s sheer amount of damage makes all defense for naught.

Summed up:
has 200 def?
It’s ok, You still take 700 dmg.

I’m afraid I wasn’t playing when this bow update happened, would you be able to link the patch notes that include it?

Thank you :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.