What do you guys think about Discords servers? ( Poll )

So I was wondering what do u guys think of ROTMG discords servers?

• Like Discords servers
  • Dislike Discords servers

0 voters

Sorry these are the only choices I didn’t know what else to put.

Dislike following orders from a teenager who constantly threatens to ‘ban us’ for not doing as they say.

Being honest, without discord servers, no one(at least the majority of rotmg players) would not be where they are today. Sure they ruin the purpose of the game and many people are against them, but people seem to forget that before lost halls discords and others, maxing life was through tombs, and those only drop 3 at max. I think discords are well organized and very efficient at doing what they are meant to do. Basically, what I’m trying to say is that without discords, getting a group of 30+ people to do a hard dungeon (halls, nest, fungal, SHATTERS etc.) would almost be impossible. Thank you for listening to my Ted Talk.

@Toastrz can you tell me how you or the deca team sees the discords servers

Wrong, i’ve done nests, fungals and shatters in single digit sized groups, you just need people who are decently skilled and patient, i’ve also soloed lost halls before, the only reason these dungelns are so rarely done outside of discords is because they are more efficient and that makes people not want to choose realms, not because doing them off of realms is impossible.

What I meant was that most of the time you don’t have enough people to do those hard dungeons, and most of the time there are a few people who don’t know what to do and can easily ruin the run. With discords, the chances of this become much smaller.

Honestly this conversation will just spark up huge debate.

I will personally not be attempting O3 outside of a discord if that answers your question.

Discord servers did change into what we have in the current RotMG. However, it does create what we have: steamrolling. Some dudes quit the game b/c of the steamrolling meta, which of course did took away skills.

What classes do you use the most for soloing Lost Halls? Ranged?

Let’s hope not. If do, moderators may have to jump in and close this discussion.

I feel like they cheapen the experience, and have changed how the game is played, probably for the worse. It’s nigh impossible to balance between the two extremes of farming, especially when developers have the metrics to look at. They can see X number of Y dropped for Z people, and can adjust rates accordingly, but it’s much, much more difficult to figure out what a “correct” or “fair” rate would be for non-hardcore farming. Thus rates may be made with the expectation that people are farming at peak efficiency, making the most reasonable way to farm be these peak efficiency methods, pushing more people to use them, causing a vicious cycle. As well, because the point is to be efficient, failures are designed to be rare. Which means most of the time they succeed, which means the numbers suggest the dungeon isn’t hard enough for how hard it’s supposed to be, so the next one is made harder, etc etc.

I look at it the same way I look at things like setups that nuke the entire map in Warframe, or Shamfleeting in Borderlands 2, or alchemy-enchanting loops in Skyrim. Sure, I could do the most optimal thing, but then I don’t feel like I’m playing the game, I’m just performing chores. However, when the “most optimal thing” is what the developers see being done, typically the game becomes designed with the assumption that everyone is doing it. And designing a game around optimal play is often vastly different from designing around “normal” play, and very often different from designing around enjoyable play.

And that’s not even getting into the more questionable practices of external parties and all the problems that can arise from that.

I see them as here to stay, and think the people using them are harming their own experience. If things get out of hand, that may spill over and harm everyone else’s experience as well. I’d rather there be fair and reasonable dungeons and drop rates that would cause it to be feasible to get what I wanted sometime this decade without getting unreasonably lucky so that there wasn’t really an incentive to use discords in the first place.

This might be somewhat controversial, but I think Discord played a significant part in the survival of rotmg the last few years

The only reason I am still playing the game is that I discovered discord servers.

I don’t care that much about their impact on efficient gameplay, but the ease in communicating and finding people to play with is such a huge benefit.

I have also learned so much more about how the game generates dungeons and boss paterns than could ever do on my own.

I will also say the poll is oversimplifying a complex issue.

I will say overall that I like discords.

They allow for actual interaction outside of the game.

However, I have now joined literally 13 discords all related to ROTMG.

I definitely appreciate the interactions inside of the discord and getting to know some of the players.

I’m grateful for keys popped that have allowed me to get items and skins over the years.

However, I absolutely feel forced into discords.

Regarding recent events, I think Xaklor’s quote sums up O3.

I personally would rather the discord interactions be much more meaningful as opposed to joining a discord just because it’s the only way to do halls.

Since you pinged Toastrz, he’s probably going to come in and say this:

So you can look at Toastrz’s words and decide for yourself. If you want to do harder dungeons outside of discord, I wish you luck.

I like them as a method of cooperation, but some discord servers do have bad staff.

Discords are cool if I don’t have much time to play.

The easiest classes by far are melees.

And yeah, about the Discords, I’d say that they are nice to farm efficiently for whites if you need them, but at the end of the day it’s all about yourself and your choices. If you want to ruin your own experience and enjoyment and sit on Discords raids for hours a day never doing or try to do any content in small group/solo because you just want not to die and ““play”” the game in an easy way that doesn’t really involve any skill (aka steamrolling), that’s your problem and you’ll probably end up being tired of it and quit the game.

I wholeheartedly agree with @Shadowaltz - the fact that the difference in loot chances between a “casual” player and a discord-oriented player is this big is one of Realm’s current flaws.
In part, the lack of death in these safe runs also contributes to lower drop rates - and I may sound like a broken record, but I sincerely hope IC/OoC will at least somewhat impede these groups’ survivability.

Also, I utterly detest “full skip” runs. At that point, you’ve stopped playing the game at all, imo.

I agree. Rushing can be exhilarating on occasion (me saying this because I almost never did it for the longest time), but I’d rather… you know play the game and fight monsters, but I’m kind of forced into rushing places like O2 if I want to fight the boss at all.
By proxy, not touching Discords our similar also means that I’ve hardly been in some of the harder dungeons, because soloing takes too long in real time most of the time, and I’ll probably mess up on the boss, to be honest, with all that time only spent in gaining fame…
Confession time: I’ve witnessed the death of the Void twice, I can probably count the number of times on my hands for MBC, and I’ve never even seen what a CH or CC looks like, because I’ve never been graced with the opportunity to do them.

No offense, but as a tester, wouldn’t your views be slightly skewed? A side effect of testers I’ve observed is them generally not doing discord runs. Being able to get items immediately, ie not having to farm something to experience it, you guys are baffled at people who have to GO FAST! to farm efficiently, and therefore faster to get their items.

I’ll also admit there’s a reason I decided not to be a tester. It’ll make the game lose its value for me if I can obtain whatever I want wherever I want, even if it’s not the actual game. It’s also why I don’t hack cough

Edit: Not saying any of you do that; just hacking games in general; most kids in real life I’ve witnessed hacking for fun tend to lose interest in individual games the fastest of anyone I’ve seen. What more is there to do when you’re already a God?

O2 rushing came about because rogues and tricksters used to run ahead and get all the loot and SB DPS. In response, people started to rush to keep up. However, lowering SB thresholds across the board made rushing to get loot obsolete; but players still did what was ingrained in them after years of experience, culminating in the WC rushing you see today. Fullskips can be fun! Especially when spooky boi and/or crus leak into MBD/MBC. That’s probably the most exhilarated I ever feel in realm >w<. Did you do 2 public voids with no prior knowledge? That’s kinda impressive tbh. Also, cults are wayyyy easier than void ;>