What do you see? Why are you here?

If you think someone is going to far, you should tell him, if theres any chance that he will change his behavior.

That’s the thing: do you really think they could change their behaviour if they already went too far? Telling them they’re not being nice by this point might aswell make him even more disrespectful.

I don’t know, maybe that’s just me.

It might work for some people, if they dont listen you can still do other stuff.

it’s more frequently not about what it is that people are saying, but rather how they say it.

therefore, If someone does pass the line, what matters more is how you approach the situation, not whether or not you approach at all. I definitely think you should do something if it goes too far, but be careful about how you say it. sometimes flagging and moving on is a good option, but there’s people who don’t care about that (you’d think 50+ flags would get spinatk’s attention but apparently it didn’t), so verbal confrontation might be more effective. but you have to make sure you’re saying it in a way that actually helps instead of fueling the flames.

that’s what I think, at least.

it really depends, i used to do it more, but now day its too much of a hassle.

If its inappropriate things like having 90% of your words in a phrase to be swear words, i’ll just let it pass usually since its usually not directly offending anyone. But if it goes to realms of direct/semi-direct attacks i would intervene, also depends who they are talking to, if they are talking to RMGnoob or Xaklor, there is no need.

flagging is the option i use more times when i actually when to attack the person, like not wanting them to get reg, sometimes, flags arent needed and a friendly reminder could work. Although, if im lazy i just flag.

Are you guys trying to say I shouldint be telling people they should have never came out of a hole?

If I see some one as harmful to the community here (and yes me personally being done with them) then I will attempt to deal with it in my own way. Now my way is no where near as professional as doc/ob/stu/xaklor/ but hey we need different ways for when the proper way does nothing.

yeah I’m talking about myself being a heartless dick

Hopefully that doesn’t come off as back seat modding. Not the intention

not quite the same thing. if that came out of the blue, yeah I’d tell you to calm down and shut up. but if that’s what it takes to get someone to notice their behavior is annoying as hell then that’s what it takes.

I see a waste of time. The me before the xmas giveaway would punch me pretty hard for saying that.
A lot of content on the forums is wasted effort. Then again, hobbies are not always productive.

I stepped out of the picture a bit to focus on improving myself in the real world. My family sits below the poverty line, the only reason I have some nice things is because my father cares enough about me to afford it. My parents are divorced and I live with my mother, hopefully that info paints the picture a bit clearer.
I wouldn’t have a very successful future if I didn’t work hard in school to get scholarships to even begin to afford college. This of course means less time for personal interests, such as the forums, gaming, or even writing.

I don’t like sharing about my personal life online, but it has a huge impact on what I can do online.

Anyway, as for why I am still here… Well, I’ve pretty much abandoned RotMG, I certainly still love the game, but I’ve moved on.
So you guys, the friends and people I’ve met with similar interests is why I’m still here. I’m not always able to hang out with my real friends since I live in the middle of no where, so this is a great replacement.
Some of ya probably won’t like the word “replacement”, but it’s the truth.

That doesn’t change the fact that I do care about ya even if I don’t have the time to show it anymore.

And I appreciate it.

I’ve said it somewhere before, but I think it’s important for us to deal with problems of the forums in our own way, as long as our end goal is the same. I would never tell someone that they should have never came out of a hole, mainly because that probably won’t make him/her get back to his/her hole anyway. But who knows, maybe it’s enough to make that person at least get off our own collective holes.

@moderators your thoughts on this topic?

Includes this thread too Increasing Agression

I see a lot of potential.

Shall we have story time with uncle stu? This time with a small insight behind the Stupidity?

A long time ago…well, it feels like a long time ago. It’s been just shy of 20 years now. For some of you that is a “very long time” but in the grand scheme of things it is not so long…not as long ago as @OtherBill’s mention of Usenet groups.

In any case, some time ago I was a part of an online forum built around a video game. That video game was not completely groundbreaking - many of the concepts had been used by other games, many elements of the design were tropes lifted directly from related literature and parallel entertainment, and the genre itself had already experienced a “golden era”. However, there were a few key elements that made the game powerful in its own day, and now recognized by some as a significant contributor to the history of gaming. First, many design choices were made around simplicity and intuitiveness (which not everyone was doing right in gaming then, and many are not doing right now!). This made the game very easy to understand on the basic level, and the developers did everything they could to make immersion immediate and meaningful. Within a few clicks, you could be completely engaged. Second, although the game was simple and intuitive, it was not shallow. It was what I would call elegant. Powerful and deep, but with only what was needed instead of burdened with fluff and flash. And finally, the game did a phenomenal job for its era at creating online interaction. Multiplayer was not a well fleshed out thing in the late 90s, but this game really pushed the bar forward.

Anyway, I was a part of this forum built around That Game. It may be a nostalgia thing for me, but these are some of my fondest memories of life as a player of video games. I was completely blown away that people with real world knowledge (math, physics, sociology, psychology, programming) were applying that wealth of understanding to a video game I was playing in a way that I could understand and benefit. There was a thriving mod community (another thing that was not original to That Game, but which flourished in an unprecedented way around That Game), which made the interactions we were having feel all the more weighty because we could actually see ideas come to life. We thought about the intricacies of the way That Game worked so much that many people felt there was nothing left to explore, but still somehow the conversations continued.

Realm caught me because it has some of those basic elements that I enjoy so much: elegant simplicity, multiplayer, depth. I love this game because of the design restrictions, the creativity that has to be employed within those choices, and the simple fun of pewpewpewing. For me, it gets the concept of casual gaming in a way that the entire casual gaming industry misses. “Casual” gaming has come to mean games (usually with limited depth) easily accessible by non-gamers, but really I think that particular aspect of game development is just the natural application of long tail economics to the gaming industry. There is nothing special or revolutionary about dumbing down a game, and I think game developers have completely missed the mark on the entire concept but are too blind to see it because of the laser-like optimization that has occurred in monetization. “Casual” gaming, in my mind, has always been about letting players engage with minimum barriers - and then making it easy to reengage again and again without penalties or new barriers popping up. Of course, not everything about realm holds to this ideal (and it’s much worse now than when I first played). But it scratched that itch for me, and I continue to see it as a game with amazing potential.

I have been a part of several gaming communities since That Game. Some have been good, some have been bad. But I guess I am here because that experience was wonderful for me. To some degree, I want to have it again but I know I can never go back and be that person. But I see the potential in this community, and I still hope to have something like it. And maybemaybe this can be the place for other people to have that magical experience I had. It might be a long shot, but I think it’s worth it.

In any case, I think that’s why I’m here.

RealmEye Forums Moderator AMA [Request]

I get the feeling you don’t want to say what was That Game, but I’ll ask anyway: what game was it?

OH MY OH MY! What a Grrreeeaaat thread we have here! Lets see if I can join in on the fun…

Bunch of Shitposters (myself included, ofc) and a lot of toxic kiddos. Also a major amount of dudes who are “in dire need of the Regular Role” for some reason. Also noted that the reason they want the Regular Role is still left unknown.

Also noted that if an item thread is posted and there’s no sprites or some very very very very very very very little thing missing, the OP will get bashed until his/her/its brains fall out. Legit people sometimes have no chill and need to learn what “constructive critism” is.

[Meanwhile, I’m going back to my activity history to see if I have ever done this. Hopefully not, but even if I did, it’ll be delet’d, and I wont be called a hypocrite! haHAA!]

I honestly had used this as a socialization place, since SOME people are pretty chill and cool. Don’t know how I got regular by just socializing and shitposting, guess I’m just super active or something.

On another note, I also come here to see if there are any cool community hub threads or ideas. At some points in time they can be a complete banger, while others rot away until @system closes them out.

This place is filled with juicy drama and I honestly love it. No, I do not provide fuel to the fire, but I just WATCH the fire burn, and burn, and burn… Its also pretty funny to see other people bash each other out.

Jokes aside, I come here because I love Realm of the Mad God, and I also hate Realm of the Mad God. I’ve played this game for over 4 years and have enjoyed (almost) every single hour I have played in this game. Yeah sure, there are times when I die or do some stupid garbo that otherwise kills myself or kills a friend of mine, but in the end I had a fun time. And after that fun time I come here to express my feelings by shitposting and memeing pretty hard.

[Not so much of either, but there needs to be something to make this look like a giant wall of text]

If you’re taking about the forums, I come just to see what new updates there are or to see if someone had posted a cool idea that deserves my like. I also come to pursue badges

[specifically silver and gold ones, the bronze ones look horrible no offense lol]

If you’re taking about the game, @Radio has forced me to come back almost every day, regardless if I’m sick or one of my bones broke.

[Gonna be honest, this thread was actually pretty damn good, lots of great reads and memes. Hopefully I didn’t make any typos or grammatical errors on this post. Kudos on you for making the thread Xak.]

[Forum Game] Guess OtherBill's Age

God damn, the amount of honesty and sincere reflection made me feel so…mushy inside. I have a tendency to forget names, but there are some of you in here that I’ll remember even when I get Alzheimer’s and turn old like OB. Love you guys. </3

Why am I here?

Honestly there are days when I don’t want to come, but do so anyways to get a few threads read.

Realm has been my addiction for the past 4 years and realm related activities have been no different. In the summer, when this forums was launched, I was overjoyed that there was another realm hub for me to spend time in. After all, I couldn’t spend all my time playing the game so I occupied it with realm related content.

In the beginning, I tried very hard to come up with quality topics or even improvements to the forums given the size of the community. I thirsted for content, and spent my conscious hours thinking about possible posts to make.

I’ve always looked at the number RealmEye provided for active hours and compared that to the thousands of hours my friends have spent on TF2, BF, LOL, etc., attempting to convince myself that I was better off. But ironically, it seems to me that I have also always known that my addiction was worse than theirs.

See, it wasn’t just the amount of time I spent into the game itself: it was the many other hours looking at videos, browsing Reddit/forums, looking at guides and the wiki. But above all, it was the uncontrollable desire, the constant distractor from productivity. My purpose in life was defined by a game that manifested itself in and through my every thought, waking and sleeping.

In grade 9, I recall now in retrospect, a disturbing mantra I indeed practiced: “rush tests to rush abysses”. Luckily for me, I am fortunate that both my parents are smart people and through fortune or by fate, I came to inherit a portion of that academic proficiency. Thus my high school years yielded good results grades-wise, but lacked the true nature of meaningful education.

I guess I haven’t answered the question yet for why am I still here. Unlike Stupidity, I am selfish and I’m not here because I see potential. I come because I know that if I don’t keep coming back, the void in my life will only exponentially increase until I find an even unhealthier alternative.

Not to say I don’t enjoy being here anymore but there are good days, there are bad ones. Sometimes I read through a few threads disliking every moment, today I had good reads. There are a select few people in here whom I care for, and stick around to keep in touch. I find it easier to express myself through text than through speaking. Music is another proxy for my emotions.

Sorry, I didn’t write this for sympathy - it was out of respect for the openness some of you guys showed. Let’s just say unis problems are tiny, and he’s just bitching about first world problems because he’s got no real problems of his own. :slight_smile:

(I’m ppe on phone btw lel xd)

[Forum Game] Guess OtherBill's Age

What a meaningful thread.

I see a surprisingly little amount of hate. It’s really just a select few bitching about their perfect forum, unwilling to evolve. It’s those select few that complain about the new, fresh perspectives. I’m not going to name anyone; you know who you are.

I am not exempt from that list. There was once a time where I didn’t take the word of a newer member/initiate seriously. It wasn’t until I got banned that made me realize a problem here: unwillingness to accept. It’s stubbornness, I guess. But it’s natural. I can’t blame anyone for doing this.

The purpose of this place is to talk and discuss and to enjoy the pixelated MMORPG we all know and love, RotMG. It’s starting to get less and less like that; I rarely find myself having fun here. It isn’t as entertaining as it once was, which might be the cause of that stubbornness I talked about earlier.

I originally came here to express my ideas about the how I can improve the game. How I regret that decision. Slowly, I kept coming back and looked forward to returning home from school and opening up my computer to Realmeye. It became a part of my day, and gradually it became an addiction.

At one point, I had a huge argument over the principles of this place. I still remember that debate. I was called toxic and a bunch of stuff too, told to leave and move to Reddit. I guess that’s when I found the underlying contradiction and disappointment under the floof. I realized that my addiction had gone stale, like a drug. I went into a “withdrawal”; being extra cancerous. The drug known as the forums just stopped working for me.

I was banned. It was like my therapy. The cancerous and tough exterior slowly wore off, the disgust for everyone shimmered away. But I don’t know why I came back. Maybe there isn’t a reason. Maybe it was because I was unwilling to let go of the addiction. Maybe it’s because I myself am looking for the spark buried beneath all that aggression, in order to rekindle the utter joy I had from the earlier days. I guess the only reason I’m still here is that I still think there’s a possibility for everything to end: all these rants and attacks on users. I guess I’m just waiting for everything to go back to the way it once was, back when I enjoyed it.

It’s just that it’ll never be. I can’t stop change, but there’s a glimmer of hope in the back of my mind that made me come back. The imminent day that shimmer is relinquished is the day I leave, forever.

See you in 2044, kiddo.

I’m not very good in expressing myself. Often, I end up being disappointed in myself for writing what I wrote. “People don’t want to know everything you think” has always just been a main thought for me.
In other instances, it’s mainly a feeling of regret. An underlying feeling of dishonesty towards myself. Going with the principle that if I don’t experience the symptoms of something regularly, I don’t have it.
Constantly holding myself back on things that I enjoy or want to do.
The unsettling feeling of “What about the long run?”, or more precisely, the future in general.
Trying to make life less complicated by restricting myself through rules that I made up.
Pressuring myself into coming back, because I have to. Otherwise it’s not complete.

Philosophy isn’t really something I excel at, because it just makes me think too much about everything that it bursts open everything I’ve sealed so carefully. The tiny bubble I’ve just created around myself, the limited sight I stated earlier. The things that I surround myself with to suppress everything else. The pretends of everything, the way I “should behave”. Trying to convince myself that it’s not true because it’s not always noticeable.

Maybe I’m just venting. But that’s good, too, in a way.

Wow,

That is probably the most depressing thing I’ve ever read in my life. Reminds me of a passage from the Maze Runner series or something…someone becoming a crank.
#My story

I came here originally because I didn’t know too many people online…opposite of IRL. It’s kinda weird how you can feel lonely online, I guess it’s because people in my friendgroup don’t play video games. Upon arrival I enjoyed all the discussion on a game I used to play a lot and was welcomed into the community with open arms - in fact because of these forums, I got back into the game (albeit with less intensity).

All of the discussion and interaction between moderators and members made it feel more…real (back in September 2016 there was a lot more mod-player discussion, IMO). The simplicity of the forums also blew me away - how easy it was to navigate this place! Ultimately, that is what kept me coming back.

Past few months I haven’t been here much. Not since after the huge christmas giveaway anyways. Some of the other members had left like @JawsJakt and @Scorchmist (although temporarily), including Trofs unfortunate turn of events. I left most of the keyboard warrioring to @RMGnoob for people such as zlushy. Another huge thing has been that I’ve been trying to get my personal life together a bit:

better sleep routine = better morning routine = breakfast = easier to pay attention in class = better grades.

Another thing is that I’m getting bored of the forums, it’s not you guys, it’s just the way I am. A lot of the ideas thrown out here are similar to others that I’ve seen before. I even kinda stopped playing the game again. I guess I grew out of this game and it’s lost that silver lining.

In the end, I came here because I was feeling nostalgic. I stayed because it reminded me of when I was 12 and playing this game, without any responsibilities or deadlines. I became active because of all the awesome people here, but now I must say I’m leaving, because I need to move on.

you will be missed :cry:

although correction Jaws is back again, he just likes being a lurker.

but thats pretty much more story in maybe 3 months

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.