What does Darkness EXACTLY do?

Blind adds a roughly 80% opacity/alpha black layer on top of your screen.
Hallucination swaps the sprites of the enemies on your screen with random sprites in the game.
Drunk adds a “fog” filter without hardware acceleration, and adds a “zoom” effect on certain areas with it on.
Slow kicks your effective speed to base speed. Weak removes the influence of ATT on your effective damage. Stun stops you from shooting, et cetera, et cetera.

But how about darkness?
Does it despawn the enemy that’s out of your sight? And the projectiles as well? If the enemy’s path comes directly to your new reduced sight, will they spawn? I’d like to know exactly what it does.

New Shuriken Idea[Obsidian Shuriken]

the enemy doesn’t ‘despawn’ but for the latter, yes, what u said is correct. If an enemy walks into your little circle of visibility, you’ll be able to see it until it leaves said circle

Dankness adds a png over your screen (the darkness image you see) to give the darkness effect.

Additionally, the game’s render range decreases to roughly 1 tile

The exception to the above is that RemainVisible type objects and Quests are forced to render regardless of distance, so Darkness will not make them dissapear (Void Entity)

@Hippowdon and @Mrunibro

So, the projectiles that are already ON the screen will get despawned, unless it is spawned within the render range, which is 1 tile? I assume bosses are still rendered since they are quest type monsters most of the time.

How about our projectiles? Will we be able to shoot enemies out of our render range?

It seems like it causes your character to basically become invisible and not being able to take damage from nearby shots, and when it wears off, you are visible. Every time I have darkness, I have never taken dmg, and every time it wears off it seems like the enemies just now want to target me. This is a guess I’m not too sure

But of course the normal stuff still applies, unable to see enemies, dark screen, small window of visibility.

And to clarify I meant invisible to enemies, not players

Projectiles don’t ‘‘despawn’’

Projectiles are always rendered, if the object that shot them is rendered

Projectiles will not de-render, only cease to exist after their lifetime.

So if the object was rendered when you weren’t darkness, then got darkness while the projectile was moving, it won’t go invisble. The projectile still keeps on going.

However, now that you’re darkness that same Object is no longer rendered, and as a result it’s projectiles also won’t bee rendered.

This doesnt mean that the projectiles will show up once theyre near you. They will not appear for you at all. They will only appear if the object that creates them is within the 1 tile darkness reduces render range to

EDIT: objects still target you will you are darkness. You just don’t notice them. Other players will see stuff shooting at you but you won’t take any damage from them, long as the enemy isnt within a single tile from you.

So boss shots won’t de-render if you get darkness and the boss is out of you render range. Good to know. I assume we can hit bossess or remainVisible entities when we’re in darkneess, but not normal enemies?

Yup, although you can still hit normal enemies while in darkness but you’d kinda have to sit on them.

Yes. That also applies to monsters behind walls you can’t see through.
If you land bullets to their theoretical positions, the bullets will not damage unless you render them hitting the enemy.

Monsters that you can’t hit also can’t be seen on the minimap as red dots.

This mechanic however doesn’t apply to traps, poisons and secondary scepter blasts. Because those are handled on the server side, they can always hit the enemy, even if you can’t see them.

Still doing the nest jokes huh? :slight_smile:

It’s in his blood at this point.

In BTEL’s Shatters Mystic Solo, at this point, it shows that Darkness seems to stop the Ice Adept from shooting BTEL.
So, if I understand correctly, BTEL is getting hit, but the projectiles do not appear on-screen nor do they damage BTEL.

…Or am I pulling a Classic Ecchi Anime Cliché here and misunderstanding stuff?

Yes. Tl:dr gotta see the bullet to eat the bullet. Can’t see? No dmg. Others will see you’re swimming in ice but… no damage!

sorry for reviving dead thread, but I wanted to put my 2 cents in. Its basically you are cloaked unless something walks into your little circle of vision. Pretty handy for x-lavawalking in shatts.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.