What happened when wc tops came out?

What happened to the economy when wc tops came and replaced old tops? Or were wc tops always in the game? I want to know so I can prepare for when lost halls tops start getting into the economy.

Not sure, but I’m guessing that if the new tops are tradeable, they’ll probably be in the etherite-pixie range.

They will still be very rare and mostly likely SB so don’t expect anything to change.

If they aren’t SB they will be the focus of RWT & dupers which if not defended against could push the tiers down a notch again. T11/12 used to be several def pots each (before life or mana pots existed) now they are 1-3 if you are lucky.

It wasn’t actually WC tops that destroyed the economy, it was pets and their ability to keep people alive that produced an oversupply of WC tops thus diminishing the need for old tops.

And the not-to-be-underestimated numbers of hackclient-autonexusers.

There was this mafia altboxing thing, but I dont know much about that.

For over a year, wc tops were in a class of items akin to uts. A gsorc could be sold for over a hundred def.

It was mentioned that alt boxed wcs were a thing. Essentially some guilds created a bunch of accounts with assassins just to go to wc and spam poisons. Some people made a fortune from selling tops this way.

Old tops maintained a spot in the market at around 1-2 life each until the first major round of widespread duping. It it’s also worth noting that there was nothing realmeye trading and the market was more easily manipulated, so the price was also propped up by certain people who had an interest in old tops remaining valuable.

I would not anticipate an immediate drop in the price of wc tops. In fact, I predict a rise in demand for wc and old tops, due to the number of deaths coming from these new dungeons… At least in the short term.

Eventually, if LH tops are unsb the price of wc tops will fall. But in the near term I expect the opposite.

Duping is essentially a market limiter which enforces a point of parity. Due to competition in the market, it is likely that any ultra desirable item will never exceed 4-5 ubhps. But wc tops are not even there now.

Altboxing a WC (multiple accounts - but not multiboxing) was done by many groups, not solely a Mafia thing, though for sure they had the organisation to do it well. It was mostly in the days even before actual guilds though it overlapped somewhat.

"Private" Organised WCs

In order to maximise the worth of opening WC (incs were rare things to loot) it developed that people would run “Private” Organised WCs where each player took their turn to solo run in on O2, usually on rogue/assassin for easymode, do just enough dmg to ensure SB, and then back out to the corridor and /pause until O2 died. The organiser calling in chat for playernames whose turn to attack it was.

It could be organised with a large group of many different players or a group who took alts in. It would then only be down to your tech limitation as to if you could show up with 50 alt assassins. The WC portal remained indefinitely so the organised group could waitout any crashers/randoms during O1 before unlocking, if they were worried about a suspicious looking maxed player who would potentially disrupt their plans.

Eventually, the game evolved to make this ineffective & more difficult to arrange (Oryx Castle an extra hurdle for alts to travel through, 2 minute timer on WC portal), and I imagine there were just better ways to spend the same amount of time, profit-wise, (eg. altboxing a Tomb) so the organised WC faded away.

Looking at the timeline of the game in 2011, the WC came in in May 2011, in Build 115, and the 2 minute portal timer arrived in November 2011, as did Tomb so it was really just in this 6 month timeframe that Private Organised WCs would have been a thing.

Edit:

And I realise I’m risking sounding like a stuck record, but the more people who use autonexus cheat, the lower the demand for replacement items is. And I’m not personally seeing the amount of cheaters decreasing.

Auto nex doesnt prevent insta death

In some cases, I believe I have seen it do. (seeing people not leaving graves after taking silly amounts of damage)

It probably depends on how advanced your autonexus is.

i guess but my estimate would be only about 2 percent of people hack so people really overestimate its effect on the economy. whats actually happened is that most of the playerbase is maturing in level of play so people have more and more wealth bringing the price of items lower and lower.

i remember when it was common to be a blue star. i liked that alot more than the way rotmg is now.

Over 50% of players hack.

If you could provide a source for this, I would be very grateful

http://www.realmofthemadgod.com

As you requested.

Sounds about right

An interesting thing msellers talked about in his ama on reddit was that less players hacked with the introduction of pets and that the kabam team planned to make the game less perma death to encourage less hacking, because a lot of it comes from the game being how it is.

I doubt they will be soulbound, that would be messed up. All other tiered gear is tradeable.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.