What if there was a 9th stat?

First off I’d like to point out that adding any kind of additional stat to the game would make having a fully maxed character take even longer for newer players, especially as it would likely create more traps along the way: if most of them already can’t figure out maxing Spd and Dex first on their melees would make their life way easier than immediately going for Def, I can’t imagine how confused they’d get having even more stats to account for.

I don’t like it either because it means maxed characters would get even more drops than unmaxed ones when they’re already looting way more thanks to them being able to kill things and run dungeons a lot faster.

This is going to feel extra unfair and frustrating to the newbie who now has to grind even more to get Luck pots and max his luck just to have the same chances as older players of getting the good stuff.

This would be a giant pain in the ass as you’d need to constantly adapt to the same effect from the same projectile not having the same duration depending on what character you’re playing at the time.

The most hilarious side-effect however would be that, at maxed Resistance, almost all Confuse in the game would be too short to be properly confusewalked through, meaning the game becomes permanently more frustrating if you ever make the mistake of maxing Res on a non-throwaway char.

That would be the absolute worst idea ever. Keeping a healthy set of maxed characters would become completely impossible without spending hours on the game each day (and even then it’d still be borderline impossible for non-merchants).

Would need too much tinkering to be interesting and otherwise would only be an annoyance.

We both know that’s never going to happen.

If there ever was a mechanic that would make pets’ effectiveness vary, I’d much rather have it be a completely new and dynamic thing rather than just being some stat you can max and then forget about.

Would make Shatters even more unfair and broken. Would make dungeons such as Abyss or Sewers a complete joke to rush.

It would also lead to quite a few very frustrating deaths, as newbies wouldn’t understand at first why everyone else was fine while their Hp just plummeted.

The only reason this wouldn’t be overpowered as all hell is because pets already make most consumables all but obsolete, and even then some consumables such as grum, St Patty’s Brew, the new Cerveza or Def and Hp tincs/gumballs would be pretty powerful.

wait wtf 50% chance of dodging the demn shots…

seems op.

It would be really strange for older players, also when they drop the new class its gonna be strange when 75 stars is max

RNg may bless you

Luck and Cooldown on items

i rather let RNGesus give me whites

While the idea of a 9th stat is interesting I would not be a huge fan but I am intrigued by the idea of tying it to your pet. It cannot make the pet more powerful maybe just more obedient. Perhaps the third ability can be bound to a key and when pressed there is a chance the pet obeys. The higher the stat the higher the chance it obeys.

If that is too convoluted, which it might be (as well as OP) maybe they allow for pet backpacks (which I know has been suggested) and as the stat increases it fetches loot for you. Of course there are all sorts of issues with that idea, if your in god lands and have two blue bags, say one spd and one att, which does it fetch? While I am not sure how to answer, I do not think it is a terrible idea, it would just need work to flush out the concept.

A 9th stat that would make the most sense in an RPG game would probably a kind of critical damage chance stat, where a “critical hit” would multiply the damage of the shot by an arbitrary number (probably a lower value so that characters don’t become even more OP).

The actual crit stat would be used as a variable, like how wisdom is used for wis mod, in a different formula that would calculate the actual crit stat.

Don’t focus too much on details of my cruddy ideas I beg you!

I’m more trying to give a broad sketch to show that a skilled designer could come up with a/some new stat(s) and integrate into the existing 8 without much (relative) hassle nor needing every aspect of Rotmg to be overhauled.

They could deliberately make a new stat be not very controversial/low impact to avoid completely changing the game.

It needn’t be necessarily relatively harder for newbs, it could be made a simple thing to max, as extreme easy as HP/MP pot drops, and be the new “my first maxed stat” that people do. Perhaps the perma-endgame player can’t even be bothered going to get them, and just pays a couple of other pots to newbs. That’s if it’s a low impact functional stat like VIT arguably now is, more than being a core critical stat.

And compared to how long it used to take to fully max, the game seems on turbo maxing mode now, so making a longer path to max (maxing arguably being one of the “win” concepts in Rotmg) isn’t a bad thing.

I think overall I’m very defensive against dismissing the idea of new stats out of hand. Consider :thinking: if we never had SPD or ATT stats, and only got those from our equipment, then the idea of maxable stats for these would seem very radical! Yet we accept them without a second glance because they’ve been in the game so long.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.