What is [...]? [removed unofficial server name]

That’s basicly what I just explained? It’s basicly a new game, inspired by rotmg in terms of gameplay.

the thing is people do make fame trains and they only have 1 server with at most 2-3 realms. I quit the pserver because it gets boring getting all good loot without any grind what so ever plus its too easy to max i like a little struggle to it. Plus because Deca thinks of everyone and makes a lot of servers for people around the world they may not be the fastest but they’re still really good. The pserver ones are really bad with constant lag spikes

It’s a pserver (very fun plz dont ban me for saying this) and basically it’s WAYYYY easier for noobs like me to try and have fun where they have no skill in the real game. Example: ROTMG, dies level 1 to Scorpion Queen, PSERVER, dies level 20, 8/8 (82/82 for those who play it) to Shade of Nevos. It has alot of new features, Galactic Zone, New Dungeons, New Items, basically yes, it’s a pserver that was made for people like me who can’t seem to kill a fricking Hobbit Mage without help. I, personally play because the features it has. You can buy vault chests and stuff with fame, which I love, can teleport instantly, may not be that cool but for me it’s everything I need, and you can not show players. There are alot of other things that I love, like market, runes, but I really think Kabam or Deca should learn and try to add some useful things to remove lag and stuff.

wow no way me too… except to give rotmg another try just because i was at a library and was getting books but there were computers and i said why not and i couldnt play pserver there so i played rotmg and ended up dying to hobbit mages and undead hobbit mages… they are so frickin op tho, they should nerf them.

i know which pserver your talking about. its fun, but its really easy. havent played it in a while

this is why pservers are bad

how is that an explanation? Most people are f2p though so it’s still fun…

Honestly I fucking hate the idea of a pserver. It’s taking the game I love and turning it into a whole different thing, but posing as RotMG. The worst thing is that it takes players away from prod, plus the content was stolen. Now I, if I was DECA, would shut those things down but obviously it isn’t a massive concern for them (maybe they think the 2020 Flash Shutdown will take care of it?) but the concept is so abhorrent to me. I tried one that I saw a lot of on YouTube and it feels fan made. The sprites aren’t great, the community is horrible and there is little to no wiki support to help new players. This isn’t to say that prod isn’t affected by these problems too, but God, not to the extent that this pserv does.

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, maybe people will want to burn me at the fucking stake for voicing it, but I don’t understand why people play it and I just want it to die. Just fucking kill it.

I used to play [redacted] and [redacted] but only if one of my 8/8’s die or if i get bored, but with deca adding so many new dungeons there is no point to going on pservers

[Edit: removed names of the servers, per forum rules. -Nevov]

Aside from the fact they’re making money from a game they don’t own the rights to, selling access to admin commands is a surefire way to turn a game into shit.

If pservers are taking players from prod, then they must be doing something right. Alot of pservers make decent attempts at improving the base game (New UI, basic quality of life features like player/pet visibility toggle). The main reason why no pservers ever take off is because they fail to have consistent, reasonable content. The quality of some art or dungeon design widely varies. Alot of them do seem like they’re trying to make good content, but fall short for me. It seems players move to pservers whenever Deca has their occasional fuck-up (Poor communication when the “fame purge” was announced, Deca nerfing droprates in event chests at least twice, bad mystery box/pack schemes, etc.)

And yet there are about 20 people who have purchased that p4.

I disagree with the first part of that. I don’t think pservers do much harm to ROTMG. First they likely attract no new users to themselves. It’s not like people are looking for a permadeath, bullet-hell shooter and not finding ROTMG as they come across a pserver first. People are finding ROTMG then out of curiosity finding and trying pservers, via reddit, here or videos on youtube. I can’t think how anyone would discover them without first being interested in ROTMG.

Second most players are probably playing on official servers at the same time. I mean players see pservers more as something to do when they are not playing ROTMG, rather than instead of. Especially when ROTMG was getting minimal updates under Kabam.

Don’t forget compared to ROTMG they are tiny, running presumably on some PC somewhere, with all the issues for bandwith and lag that involves. They don’t make enough money to pay someone, so are managed part time, i.e. mostly set up and left to run. Until after a few months the person running them loses interest or otherwise is unable to continue and they close down, as most have. They re no real threat to ROTMG.

They don’t make any new people P4 (the rank you’re talking about)

Also, they take away trading from people with that rank so they don’t give away items.

It’s not “posing” as rotmg, they take the rotmg code (usually an older version) and add their own new content to it, a lot of the new content is actually pretty fun.

Because it’s more fun than prod for many people, why is that a bad thing? a ton of people that play it hardly or never play prod anyway, killing them won’t bring the active players back to rotmg, if anything it would bring a ton of backlash from those communities.

They take the content and change it and add content that they want, that’s what private servers are, they aren’t exclusive to rotmg.

Why? that would be a massive waste of resources relatively, they would lose way more money from taking down the servers than they would gain, they would also lose potential money from players angry about them taking down the servers.

Why? people are changing the game and making it what they want it to be, how is that a bad thing?

…and that’s surprising? most of them don’t have a giant dev team and dedicated spriters.

Realmeye, the rotmg wiki, wasn’t made by any company that’s owned rotmg, do you expect them to make a dedicated wiki instead of attempting to fix the more important problems that you’ve already mentioned?

Because some people find it more fun than prod.

Why? it won’t bring any more revenue to Deca, it’ll take away money from them to take them down.

People have fun on these servers, why not just let them?

Most of that money goes towards paying to keep their servers up, they aren’t making any large sum of revenue that they could live on, most of the people that work on them still have to work normal jobs, and the ones that don’t are in school.

They haven’t actually provided that for a long while, the people that do have it tend to be looked down upon by the community.

Imagine you run a bakery. You make delicious muffins with a recipe you created and developped over time. Your bakery is having a lot of success because your muffins are original and something people appreciate for their difference.

One day, someone else somehow gets a copy of your recipe, and decides to use that recipe and some other ingredients to make his own muffins, then open his own bakery a few streets away from your place. Maybe he has put small fruits in his muffins, maybe he has put colorful icing on it and called it a cupcake, but whatever the case, he took your recipe and made something slightly different, that some people will enjoy and others not.

Some other people do the same. They try to make their own versions of your muffins, some with success, others failling and being forced to close their small bakeries. In the end, you still have the same clients, but they will sometimes choose to go for the muffins kickoffs, to enjoy having something different than usual.

Those alternate shops are not really well known, since clients don’t talk about them directly in front of you, but they talk about them in other places, which is enough for some of those alternate bakeries to survive.

The muffin recipe was stolen, and even if another of those bakeries made something really original out of it, it’s still a stolen recipe. That doesn’t mean that your bakery should hunt those other bakeries down though, since it would cost you a lot and currently doesn’t cripple your business. At least for now.

First of all, what’s stopping them from fucking up everyone else’s experience with admin commands? for example /give Admin Sword to themselves then kill everything too fast for anyone else to get SB on it?

Second of all, why would you defend selling admin commands at all?? Aside from a literal “pay us money to instantly win the game” option, nothing could better fit the description of pay-to-win.

Third of all, why would you go to a private server at all if it’s going to have somehow even worse monetization than the actual game? Might as well go play any shitty mobile game at that point.

There are several things wrong with this part also.

How do you know that? What would prevent them from keeping most of the money for themselves?

How do you know they’re not going to suddenly take the money and leave?

Generally speaking, why would you give money to someone who can’t be officially held accountable if anything goes wrong with the product or service you’re buying? You’re giving money to random strangers online. They could scam you however they want and you’d have no recourse whatsoever.

Lets first start with this

Pservers are illegal. It’s copyright infringement. Having a PServer is one thing, but making money off it is wrong and illegal.

To anyone who makes money off a pserver I would like to see them brought out in the street and beat with sacks of potatoes

However perhaps it says something about realm and the community. If so many people are really playing these psevers, maybe that is an indication the main game is need of some change. There has to be a reason that so many are flocking towards these.

But it’s not shit…

It’s illegal, but almost everywhere it’s a civil matter. DECA would have to sue them for infringement. And it’s simply not worth the effort.

Fighting legal battles is an expensive business, but probably the people running pservers are not worth suing. Certainly they are not making any money that DECA could lay claim to.

Closing them down is not worth it either as someone else can just start them up again. In fact this happens anyway – wait a few months and they close down and new ones start up.

The only thing they might be able to do is get the code removed from legitimate sites like Github. But then it would just move elsewhere, including filesharing sites, so would have very limited effect.

Easy to say it is not worth it when its not your property being stolen

It’s not about whether or not its worth. It is the principal of it.

For instance the “Soulja boy console”

will it be worth it for nintendo all those companies to sue him for having a console that is just piracy?

maybe not, but that does mean they should be doing it in the first place

Yes deca could lay claim to the money. Making money off someones else’s intellectual property is illegal and the content creator will be permitted to any money made off of these pirates

If someone was selling music illegally, the musician would be entitled to the money the person made off of it.

just having a private server for fun is one thing, but making money off a game that you did not make is a different story and that is when it needs to stop

scummy

Yes, I know there is no way to stop people from pirating and stealing someone else’s property.

The fact that it can not be stopped does change the fact that it is illegal and wrong.