What is [...]? [removed unofficial server name]

thats not for the base community though thats for a specific thing. how many people do you think check that all the time, not to mention there are other lost halls discords. this discord has the admins and the devs right at the top and in addition to opening things for the players so they can try things out they interact with the community all the time and post updates

That is true, and definitely shows just how large an influence the pservers have.

:laughing: There’s more than one ROTMG Discord, you know?

But really this shows how broken that pserver is (whichever it is). People use discord to coordinate things on ROTMG that are hard to coordinate in-game. But for ordinary gameplay it’s not needed. You just jump on and play, there are always people online, normally with multiple realms each server, some busy some not. That’s why there’s only a small number of ROTMG players on Discord, it’s just not needed.

Clearly this is not true for this pserver though. It must be dead as a graveyard most of the time, if people have to go on Discord to find other people to play with.

That might not necessarily be the case. If they don’t have a wiki or a forum then the Discord would be the only place where they can have any discussions about their server, as opposed to the real RotMG which has a wiki, a forum, a subreddit and probably dozens of Discords, Teamspeaks, and other voice chat groups.

Doesn’t surprise me in itself that Discord is used to coordinate use of pservers as it’s clearly one of the most popular ways to meta play things across multiple games/communities/etc., but seeing the actual comparison numbers like that does enable a degree of focus onto the scale of the thing.

I think what I find more worrying is what @Septagram describes about responsive & communicative devs because that is how Rotmg used to be in its heyday and IMO something that’s going wrong under Deca seeming at times more like an arm’s-length management company than actively involved in their own game.

Yeah, but the r/rotmg is pretty useless, I mean I dont know the discord of that pserver but I guess it has a few more utilities.

Their discord is the only way of getting any info on the game’s status/new content, prod has many, most notably the subreddit, and the realmdiscord bot that’s in most big realm discords (hey, including the biggest discord, pub halls). Dumb point.

Yeah no shit.

My issue lies with the fact that if I donated my money, it would be funding not the owners of the original game but someone somewhere who got their hands on the old code which had mostly everything done for them, and added a few new dungeons and items, maybe even a new class, oh, how fancy.

What about literally everyone in UGC who does even harder work than these pserver owners for no pay, just because they love the game, for example Lost Halls? Now THAT’S a passion project, unlike these untouchable godlike “original games” you so like. :roll_eyes:

Do you go to the official discord all the time? I personally never did and whenever I did look at it all of the chats were dead compared to LH discords.

You don’t tend to need other players in a group for most things unless you want to grind a specific dungeon or are doing the arena/GL

Or, as I’ve said multiple times before, reworked all of the base dungeons and added whole new drops and sets to them and changed the bosses completely save for the theme and sprites.

I’m personally talking about one specific server, not the dozens of tiny pservers that open up for like a month at most and close down, Im talking about the bigger ones.

The UGC members deserve respect for all of their hard work, that doesn’t mean the people that put a ton of work into their pserver dont deserve any respect.

Who claimed they were “original” ? A ton of their content is original and made by them, its still a pserver and is based on rotmg.

Chill. Not just you but too many people in here and you’re the last post :stuck_out_tongue: Everyone gotta chill!!

That was 9 days ago…

Oops… GOing through my unread :stuck_out_tongue:

@HorusKane

My main gripe with pservers is that people treat it like it’s a whole new game. However much you may argue that it is, the fact of the matter is that it’s not. It was created and built upon a base of stolen content, and it therefore cannot be a separate game any more than a Minecraft server can be a separate game from Minecraft. Yet the thing about Minecraft servers is that you have to support the base game (by buying it) in order to use the server. Pservs don’t give any credit, any royalties, nothing to DECA for the use of their property to profit off. I wouldn’t have such a problem if pservs didn’t profit of their “creations” but because they make money off a companies property it is most definitely not right.

I’ve never met someone who would claim it’s a completely new or original game.

I never claimed it was a completely new game, it uses rotmg as a base (again, it’s usually a pretty old version of the code) and build upon that, they don’t claim it to be a completely new and original game made completely by them, they’re private servers, just like WoW pservers aren’t entirely new games they’re either rehosts of old versions (vanilla) or they use a more recent version and add their own content.

Because it actually has a function that allows you to host your own server and add your own content, if rotmg had the same thing people would use that instead of hosting their own server(s) and buying VPS’s.

Many of those Minecraft servers also make money from their players, probably a lot more than Mojang gets from the copies they sell to the people that regularly play them.

They’re literally marketed as rotmg pservers.

They don’t really make enough money for that to matter in the first place, most, if not all of that money goes towards keeping the server up, and any server other than the larger 2 don’t make literally anything, they lose money to keep their servers up.

They don’t really make much profit, it still costs money to run their servers, they even have to pay out of pocket to keep their server up before they can gain any following, I know the current biggest was up for a year before it gained any following.

If they are making any profit it isn’t that much, especially if they split it with their multiple developers, even less if they hand any to their admin/moderators.

they would be making more money by working in the time they spent running and developing their servers.

None of them claim it’s completely original, maybe the current biggest can once they recode the game to get off of flash but I don’t think they would even then because it’s based on rotmg.

Again, literally only 2 of them currently existing have enough paying players to make any profit, and even those 2 don’t make enough to make a difference for prod after paying for their servers and keeping enough held back to keep the server up for a while.

Its not like they’re hosting these servers for profit, that would be extremely inefficient compared to spending that time working a minimum wage job, especially after they have to pay out of their own money to keep the server running while making new content for it.

“profit” ?!? Really, the idea anyone is making a profit off pservers is ridiculous. On the cost side they have similar costs to DECA – servers for hosting the game, for the web front end for example. The biggest cost, or investment, is the time spent setting it up, adding unique content, promoting it, maintaining it.

On the revenue side their problem is they have to compete with ROTMG, which is free, which rules out many ways of making money. Even worse they have to give more away for free to make them more attractive. They have far fewer players, a tiny fraction of ROTMG. And very few of those will pay; players are far more likely to spend money on ROTMG, as it’s likely to be around for years to come.

So I am sure none of them are making, of have any hope of making a profit. They are run by enthusiasts with their own time and money, for as long as those enthusiasts are interested.

People are really ignorant aren’t they

TL;DR: they make a fuck load of profit

Only gonna target the biggest pserver, but almost every pserver can make profit easily.

First thing, common sense, they have one big server vs. prod’s 23 servers (not including testing servers, which prod has more of), you do the math.

Secondly, remember this?

Yeah, they still sell it

And here is what that “pack” looked at the beginning of its release:

(this came from one of their staff at the time)

And paying content?

Note: this was from a spriter

Still not concrete enough proof? ok, remember those premium’s?

Premium 1:

That’s $4575

Premium 2

That’s $3325

Premium 3

That’s $10650

Premium 4

That’s $20100

The bottom line is, you have to be seriously fucking delusional to think pservers don’t make any money.

$20100 woo !

First, they won’t see that much money. There‘s fees from the payment processor, fraud, refunds. A popular practice now is people pay for digital games then claim and get a full refund within 7 or 14 days and there’s nothing the seller can do.

How many people are there working on it? Presumably 1/3 of a person, so one person part time, as that’s all that will pay for for just one year, ignoring server costs, bandwidth costs, etc. If it’s anything more than that, so one person full time or a few people part time, then they are not making a profit, quite the opposite.

And that’s one year. From the description you give those purchases are one-off; people buying them won’t be paying the same again. So what happens when the money dries up as they run out of people willing to pay $300 for a sub-ROTMG experience?

IIRC they didn’t spend more than $30 a month on the servers. This might have been increased since I stopped taking interest in that server a long time ago. About that “refund” thing: I don’t think you realize that if an account uses chargeback for donator they can just ban it. And they would be banned from the discord too, so I’m pretty sure the numbers are accurate.
And I don’t know about you, but I don’t need 20k to feed myself for a year.

Damn. I didn’t know they made that much money.