When Exactly was the 2013 Security Breach?

Does anyone know when SwatSecOne annihilated the Nexus? One of the wikis say it occurred on September 7, 2013, but I would like to know the actual time of day.

Just a quick question to you old-timers that experience it.

FTFY

wasn’t it a full day attack? I had just temp quit right before it so don’t actually know.

It most likely was, but I was wondering when it began.

In the words of Guill, “Remember remember the 6th of September.”

Ah, the wiki probably has it wrong, then. All of the YouTube videos were uploaded on the 6th as well.

I don’t know how long exactly it was going on, but the nexus was full of monsters when I was playing from 2 to 5 pm middle european time

The actual killing of people’s characters part only lasted a couple hours. Then he started opening keys and spawning misc enemies (coral gifts) After that kabam shut down rotmg for like 3 weeks updating their security. When servers went online again everyone’s characters were revived and given like 1-2 free char slots.

Edit: Most of this happened when I was asleep so EU servers were mostly active.

1 day not 3 weeks

The long shutdown was in february 2014

1 char slot per dead char

Yea what @mynamerr said

The 7th September ~0135 PDT (0835 UTC) was when the game was brought back online so that’s probably where the 7th date came into the picture: https://www.reddit.com/r/RotMG/comments/1lwjw1/official_realm_update_9713/

The incident from what I remember (2nd hand, I wasn’t online) was quite prolonged, with people battling to clear out the nexuses (hence the theme of the BftN dungeon).

Doing a bit of searching to try and work out a more precise time:

@Bmll describes the nexus mass enemy spawning as around 1000 UTC on the 6th:

Looking at RealmEye for the relevant compromised Kabam account (SwatSecOne):
The name change from ArbiterZ to SwatSecOne was on the 6th at 1145 UTC (2013-09-06 11:45): https://www.realmeye.com/name-history-of-player/SwatSecOne
so it was definitely ongoing at that time.
Although the guild history shows they left their previous guild late on the 5th (2013-09-05 23:08): https://www.realmeye.com/guild-history-of-player/SwatSecOne
so the account was likely already under malign control at that time.

And this vid from @Affa (Night Owls) does show the account being (ab)used while still under the name ArbiterZ:

Kabam said in the 16.3 patch notes (same Reddit link as above) that the roll back of player data would be to 12:01 AM PDT on 9/5 = Sep 5, 2013 7:01 AM (UTC), Sep 5, 2013 9:01 AM (Europe: Brussels), Sep 5, 2013 3:01 AM (America: New York), Sep 5, 2013 12:01 AM (America: Los Angeles), Sep 5, 2013 5:01 PM (Australia: Canberra). I imagine they chose that date and time based on what they could see behind the scenes, to guarantee they rolled back to before the whole incident started, and not to miss out anyone.

RealmEye graveyard info I don’t think would offer any assistance, since (I believe) the rollback means the deaths never ‘happened’ as far as the account histories show.

So yeah, looks like started sometime on the 5th (eveningtime US/nighttime EU) and rolled on with the main nexus killings being on the 6th (morning US/daytime EU).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.