Where off-topic is really off-topic - flagging concerns/deleting one's own posts

So I’ve been trying to flag stuff that’s shouldn’t be posted in the first place, since it adds completely nothing to the topic at hand. I’ve tried to stay away from Off-topic, since everything there is pretty much offtop (and I already managed to mess it up by flagging two posts), Guild subforum (since that’s the playground for the people who post there) and Community Hub.

However I’ve come to realize that this forum is becoming more like Reddit, where shit is posted without any value for the “lol” effect or something (“my post first”, “omg u post so faaaaast” or stuff like that) and I really don’t see a place for it in threads meant to help players (Academy), report bugs and issues (Game Discussion subforums) or even Forum Feedback.

So how is it? Is it okay to flag stuff that shouldn’t be there if we’re staying strict to the rules or is there some leniency-meter for shitposts? Don’t really want to get suspended for flagging stuff that should be removed just because there is so much of it that it looks like I’m just flagging everything I come across, nor do I want to let shitposts stay in threads that are meant to be helpful.

On the other issue - would there be a way to add notifications about post edits in watched threads and remove the ability to un-mark posts for automatic deletion? Just to minimize the risk of someone posting something inappropriate (or editing it in), marking it for deletion and then un-marking after few hours days. I rarely re-read threads if there’s no new content, so might not catch those things.

I don’t think you will be punished for flagging such things. It does clean up the forum. I personally want to flag the entirety of the post a word thread nut I don’t think that’s going to help any thing haha. It’s off topic so w/e I guess but that damn thread jumps to the top so much.

And we’re you not part of the kabam forums? The amount of shit post and whine cellar worthy post…my god

I’d say… use the flag button more lightly than you used to. Let people express their mind, if someone says “omg u post so faaaaast” then do not mind them. Only flag posts that DIRECTLY contradict the guidelines.

If all the people I’ve ever seen complain about “toxicity” had practiced what they preached, both RotMG and the Kabam forums would have been a paradise.

If you guys really care that much about forum quality, try to keep threads on-topic instead of complaining 24/7 about derailments, yelling at the people responsible and waiting for the mods to clean all your shit for you.

That’s why I’m personally not going to use the flag function, except in case of heavy spam or people that simply cannot be reasoned with (the Kabam forum people might remember the RGMboon episode lol).

If you find bad quality off topic content within topics that are actual discussions or requests for help then please use the off-topic flag there. Treat every category outside of Off Topic as your own and flag where you feel something contributes absolutely nothing.

This would include something like: “lol”, “+1”, “this”, etc.

Simple responses that conclude discussion paths like “I understand” or “Thanks!” are fine really.

As for Off Topic it’s more of a social hub and we’ll allow general low quality content and replies there down to a certain extent. If you feel it’s absolute rock bottom content (i.e. nothing but rage, “How are you all?”) and generally nothing, not even fun, can come from it then feel free to flag as necessary.

The fact of the matter is that Off Topic is a social place and, while we do our best, we don’t have the time to read the context of every flagged post to see if it was sarcasm or a response to something else.

On the topic of true toxic behaviour or general whine posts, flag that wherever.

In the end, whilst we won’t ever have the same content quality as something like Stackoverflow, it’s the users themselves that have to promote a sense of quality content just as much as the moderators.

Keep up the good fight but keep all this in mind.

Hey BMJ if one of my post were to be flagged, would I know its flagged ?

No. I don’t recall any user notifications coming through when we were testing this during the setup phase.

Yeah, I was, but it was mainly Kabam’s forums that they themselves neglected, so I didn’t feel that much of an urge to clean it up. Here is a community forum with no ties to Deca, so the feeling of having to keep it as clean as possible is stronger.

The issue I’m having with this is that on Reddit comments and replies could be hidden and ignored, if someone reading decided they’re offtop. Kabam forums had a more distinguishable layout and noticing what might be a shitpost was a lot easier without even reading it, quotes were used a little more, etc.
Here we’re kinda forced to scroll through every post, and it all blends together so well (background, other posts, etc.),
Just imagine people casually chatting in a “Help me” thread, someone looking for help through Google finding that thread and having to scroll through all this crap only to find out that out of 70 posts 70 were pointless. There is Off-topic, there’s RE messaging system, so do we really have to allow every thread to become a social hub?

I’m not saying I flag absolutely everything, if something is vaguely relevant or might prove helpful to anyone and it can be figured out in a thread that’s not meant for it, I usually let it slide, but things like this or few posts here feel really out of place.

Not at all. If it turns into an off topic conversation unrelated to RotMG then flag away.

The first is a prime example of off topic flags for topics dedicated to discussion. I’ve removed those so thanks for pointing them out.

On the other hand the topic of the second is discussing potential player guides. Even if that reply is somewhat sarcastic, it does raise related points and I’d leave it as it is.

Check out the bottom two options in your preferences. You should be able to find some peace through those settings.

Yes, I’ve already muted the most spammed threads in Off-topic. As for muting people - it’s certainly a way out, just not sure how efficient it is, considering if someone was only shitposting, they would get sooner or later suspended. If I automuted all the Kabam forum “quality” posters as soon as I logged in here, I would lose out on quite a few interesting things.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.