Why are the Asia servers are dead (barely alive)

hey, I’m a veteran player here.

The last time I played rotmg. I remember the Asia server to have like 2 active realms with 30 + players…

Playercount in general is seriously down, not just on the asia servers. It’s a consequence of the neverending event spam.

Deca seriously need to add a meaningful incentive to Rotmg…

there is absolutely no earthly reason to have 23 servers and up to 3 servers per region… I really think we need server merges and no more than 1 server per region to make the game more lively on each server… Im really tired of seeing dead realms all the time. We dont need anything more than usw, use, usmw, uss, euw, eun, eus, eue, asia, aus - this covers all major regions and condenses the player count significantly

Australia server was added and thus Australian players migrated over there. The rest got swept up.

As well as lower player numbers, the way the game is nowadays you don’t get a lot of benefit playing solo in a realm (Nest/Ava/Dwarf take forever soloing, and you’re giving yourself bigger chance to die in a longer battle).

So most players look for the bigger crowds to do faster events. And because the game remembers our last server, once a player moves away from a dead server (even if it is their Best server) they are never sent back there (could be an idea to change this? or make the game remind you that you aren’t playing on your Best server?).

:arrows_counterclockwise: And then it’s a bit of a feedback loop: players leave the server because it’s too quiet -> so there’s never anyone there -> so everyone continues to leave as soon as they learn how to. :door::running_woman:

Discord probably has some influence too, because guilds are less important now and a guild usually had a solid connection to one server, in a way that Discord groups don’t.

welcome back pany :smiley:

i have some homies in black bullet who pop keys in asiaeast nexus sometimes. for in-realm stuff, they only use asia servers half as much

It;s kinda sad ngl because I actually know around 2 all asian guilds who don’t go there at all. From an old guild I was in pretty much like 80% of my friends were asians (filipino, vietnamese, , taiwanese etc)

Yep, essentially this (from what I heard, at least, when I returned to ASE after a 2 year hiatus and it was dead).

That being said, aside from events, ASE and AE are probably the servers with the highest chance of you seeing me online. They’re nice if I want some quiet time closing a realm, especially with my guildmates back then. Might change now though since the guild’s disbanded :frowning:

I myself, prefer dead servers because… ALL GOD FARMING ARE MINES NOW!

Yes, it was.

Go fuck yourself

Sorry, mb figured someone had to make the edgy comment so why not make it me? :cowboy_hat_face:

Anyone have an idea where the AsiaEast, AsiaSouthEast, and etc servers are actually based? I know people who live in Asia that get better connection to USEast, USNW, and USMW compared to their “own servers”.

didn’t fully read it but maybe useful

yeah asian servers have always been on the quieter side anyways. wonder if unity beta made it slightly more lively :man_shrugging:

Makes sense. I think ROTMG is on Amazon Web Services, and the servers shown on that post are some of the most popular/used datacenter locations that are available on AWS.

I did some more research into this, because I thought that the server choice may have been due to pricing. I have seen other game companies choose only major datacenters in the past because they were more popular and therefore lower in price.

https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/global-infrastructure/

The link above shows a map with several more locations than listed on that Reddit post linked by @Unicorn. I thought I had discovered something, but…

I did a quick estimate on pricing for Amazon Web Service’s EC2 offering. An instance/server with the same operating system and specs comes out to:

AWS Option (RotMG Server) = $Price USD monthly

US West (US West) = $99.45 USD monthly
US East (US MidWest): $71.84 USD monthly
EU (EU West/South/SouthWest): $91.08 USD monthly
EU (EU North/East): $94.53 monthly
Asia Pacific (AsiaSouthEast) = $101.27 USD monthly

There doesn’t seem to be too large of a difference. I tried adding more system requirements and changing the AWS offering a few times, which didn’t lead to too wide of a price gap between server locations.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Wait what?! You can play RotMG in mainland China???!!! I thought it’s blocked.

Amazon has servers there, but I assume you cannot connect to it if the firewall blocks it. Most Chinese players use VPNs anyways, though.

You are saying RotMG is blocked in Mainland China? I do know about the circumvention of the firewall though.