Why do Etherites get so much hate?

I believe that a lot of the hate from etherite comes from comparisons to the Dirk of Cronus. So first, before anything else, I want to settle the fact that etherite is no longer directly superior to Dirk of Cronus. It offers slightly higher damage at lower defence in exchange for a sacrifice of 0.5 range (csword to ASS) and a amplitude+frequency.

For dps comparison charts:http://tinyurl.com/PfiffelChart

So what makes etherites so hated. Well, I want to first make it clear that the hate does not stem from etherite being situationally better then Dirk. If you think that is why etherite is hated, it makes sense but you’re just wrong :stuck_out_tongue: . The reason I think that the hate does not stem from being comparable to DoC is because there are so many other whites (including event whites), with tradeable counterparts that are generally better if not just as good. Look at the good ol’ gcookie, considered one of the best seals in the game. It is easily comparable to mseal and blasphemy, even considered better than the latter in the majority of situations, but can be bought for a life or two. Look at doom circle, another one life item which can be compared to it’s event white counterpart, the kageboshi. Look at the ST spell and the old tablet (new one is pretty good).

If being comparable is not why etherite is hated, what makes etherite so hated. Etherites hate stems entirely from the similarity that it has to Dirk. It’s not stronger but it’s so similar that it could be considered a replacement, even if fails to fully replace Dirk. Most event whites offer something unique, something that can’t be found anywhere else. Look at blasphemy. Although worse then gcookie in most situations, those few crucial seconds in which it provides invulnerability sets it apart from gcookie, making it it’s own seal. Although ray katana seems to have nothing of that sort, it’s incredible additional range is enough to set it apart from even being close to any other katanas. So, my question becomes, is it the fault of the dirk or the fault of the etherite that the dirk fails to be unique. Even if etherite was taken out of the picture, would dirk be seperate enough from it’s other semi close range counterparts such as spirit dagger to be unique and deserving of the title “event white”.

etherite is SO powerful that making any sort of reasonable dagger swapout is very difficult. it has to reasonably compare to etherite, yet not completely overshadow a tiered dagger. case in point: queen’s stinger dagger. if etherite did not exist, it would be a perfectly viable and highly valuable dagger with its current stats. but since etherite does exist the stinger is widely deemed “too weak” and mostly ignored. and you can’t just pump up the damage to compare to etherite because that puts the stinger dangerously close to “direct tiered dagger upgrade” territory.

etherite isn’t a dagger, it’s a sword. that’s one hell of a jump, and for rogues the range difference is completely irrelevant. cdirk is not a notable factor, it’s just one symptom out of many of a much larger and more widespread problem.

B U F F C D I R K
i mean rlly

I like etherite, I actually need one, fri etherite plox thanks :]

This will not continue for much longer, as etherite will soon be hit with a nerf in an upcoming patch, making cdirk reign supreme over all daggers in raw damage.

Source?

Because I haven’t seen any serious discussion on the topic in any of the places that actually matter in quite some time.

I saw it in testing. No way to know for sure until it comes out or they release patch notes, so I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm… interesting.

not sure where you’re getting your information from, but I haven’t seen any serious discussion on the topic in any of the places that actually matter in quite some time.

Yeah while I was participating in the recent testing I noticed some changes in both weapon damage and attack speed for those weapons. Some notable weapons were all tiered swords and the etherite dagger. I’d assume that this is a source that does matter as it’s essentially the sandbox version of prod and it gives the community a chance to try out stuff before it’s implemented into the game. I don’t want to want to start an argument over anything, I simply strive to help this inquiring fellow realmer.

Another thing I’d like to add is that cdirk is already superior to the etherite dagger on targets with 45 def and up. I’d say that etherite is best for common dungeon bosses and minions, but once you start doing the harder dungeons (mainly lost halls) you’ll be doing way more damage with the dirk. My source for this is pfiffel damage chart.

I believe it’s not because of the “direct upgrade thing”, but because they are so similar and the unjustifiable fact that Etherite is more common and tradeable. Pretty simple. It’s not rocket science and doesn’t need two paragraphs of ranting.

Some say that we should get rid of the DoC. But I personally like the idea of having that kind of weapon drop from Cube God (though the drop rate could be increased by a tad bit). My solution? Change the Etherite into something else that introduces another style of gameplay.

queen stinger dagger is broken. just gonna put that out there >:P

CDirk most DPS? Symbiotic Ripper Forgotten? Ree?

I’d like CDirk to get buffed, but Etherite shouldn’t be nerfed.

Etherite felt like a stealth “selling event whites for real money” scheme. It was the first time a ST was this similar to the event UT counterpart, and thus it became one of the focal points of the anti-ST sentiment.

CDirk came first. It’s allowed to be simple because it’s one of the oldest event whites in the game.

Spirit is different enough. Etherite isn’t. There’s no good reason why it was given the exact same niche with zero variation.

I Agree!
I hate the idea of nerfing anything in this game. If you want balance, just buff the other weapons or armors. Etherine has less range than Cronus.
Also, even if Etherine had more dps, I would still prefer Cronus (or even spirit dagger) any day, any hour. Cronus has more range, more respected weapon and better dps at 55 defense.
Totally no point on nerfing etherine at all…
It’s like the idea of nerfing swords… just brain dead.

I only use Etherine, because it’s the only weapon I can use on dagger classes to try to poorly flex, since I don’t have any golem set dagger, ripper, spirit, cronus or t13 dagger. Even t12 is better than Etherine, imo.

All I have is a Spirit Dagger, I’m sad.

I only get prisms and armors ;-;

Following Kabam’s soulbounding of UT items, they released tradable ST items that were overpowered and able to be bought in nexus (mystery boxes). The item’s singular existence has completely ruined the balancing of daggers as a whole.

So, just buff everything? How is that any more valid than nerfing everything?

Not saying to buff everything. Just saying to buff some stuff to balance. If people complain about Cdirk damage, don’t nerf Etherine; just buff Cdirk (again).