Why Event Whites shouldn't be in Chest Events

General background, Ogmur drops in the Ice Cave chest event, at a moderately high drop rate. It’s way too late to either remove it or lower its drop rate, so this post is just here to prevent something like this in the future.

Timing

Ogmur being put in the chest right after 2x drop rates is a massive “fuck you” to anyone who farmed during the event. What was the point of farming for Ogmur during the event when it would just drop in the very next chest event anyway? Sure there are other event whites to farm for, but many people were directly focusing Ogmur.

Consistency

Event whites weren’t in previous chest events, such as the Tomb, where a Jugg would have made “sense”. This really just seems like a cash grab, especially directly after releasing the Samurai ST with a box and a Mountain Temple key box.

Community Split

Thing is, this choice is really not smart for Deca themselves (in every way that isn’t monetary). Whenever there has been a controversial decision, it has always tended to be only a small portion of the community that disliked the choice, and if it was the majority, it was quickly fixed. With this, however, there is a huge portion of the community that do not want this, and a huge portion that do.

Drop Rate

Obviously we don’t know Ogmur’s drop rate, but from what I’ve seen in the numerous discords I’m in it, there has been a massive amount of people getting it. If it was inevitable for an event white to be in a chest event, at the very least make it rarer. Kind of a moot point, but I still want to bring this up.

Slippery Slope

This event sets a really bad precedent. We have all already seen what has happened to many UTs and potions. People are sad when they get a Leaf Bow at this point, and most people don’t even pick up pots anymore (including mana, but not life). If this does continue, the same will happen to event whites.

yeah ok

We also hear feedback that some UTs are devalued because they are supposedly easier to get via chest events. We definitely do not want to force people into an activity, nor do we want to devalue UTs

Not gonna ignore the full context but

although there have been other voices too, saying that it is too hard to get UTs for a permadeath game. We guess it will be impossible to have a solution that serves everybody, but we are committed to trying to make it better.

This isn’t the right solution.

Counter-Arguments

"People asked for better drops, and they got it. Stop complaining."

We did, but there are much better ways of making chest events better. Just to mention a few, more vanity items (at a higher drop rate), or Mayhem UTs. The Woodlab Event just before MotMG is a great example of this, although those skin drop rates were a bit too high, in my opinion. I would say make better events that isn’t the same every time, but that’s clearly not gonna happen.

"They’re just making event whites more accessible, not getting an ogmur in 7 years is absurd."

This is a fair point, but as we saw just the previous week, there are other ways of making it more accessible that don’t include it being sold. As you can see, I really liked the 2x event white drops, it was a great example of a good event. Furthermore, the people who complain about not getting Ogmur also tend to not focus on doing realm events in the first place. Let’s just use Hive as an example, since most people don’t do them. Many people have never gotten an orb or scepter, should we increase those rates too? There’s still the group of people that do farm realm events hardcore and still don’t get event whites, and more frequent double drop rates should help against that.

"The bad players will just lose it in a week anyway, who cares?"

I really don’t understand why this is a point in the first place. They shouldn’t get it from a chest event. Sure, they can also lose it in a week if they get it from a LotLL, but that is a much different situation. They shouldn’t have the chance to get it from a chest event.

MotMG 2018 Discussion Thread (the anointed MEGATHREAD)
About how many early pictures of ogmur lootings were there? Did the droprates actually get nerfed?
Ice Cave Chest Event! [Aug 24th to Aug 28th]

i feel like you’ll say differently once you get an ogmur from chest :^)

There is one other counter argument you should consider: most event bosses are about as threatening as a sleepy kitten. Lotll in particular is always permanently stunned and paralyzed. Yes, getting events to spawn in the first place can technically be considered work, but once they do spawn they’re just as much a chest as the one in ice cave right now. Why is there so much pride to be had in running around in circles hitting loot pinatas while grinding a moderately dangerous dungeon is considered cheap?

Of course, there’s the issue of keys being purchasable while event bosses aren’t, but the “legit” system is still heavily flawed.

Another thing is is that after this event, an item that was never meant to be common, is going to be much more seen in gameplay. We are already at a point where the majority of the games content is a joke. And now how will that be when enemies and bosses are armor broken most of the time. Just another step to the point where this game loses all difficulty and new content will be to boring or too restrictive (enemies that are just immune to everything). I guess we will have to see what happens.

Even though I got ogmur already, I agree that event whites should not be in Chest events.

You know what fix the problem?

UT trading

If we’re going for a scorched earth method, sure. Its only pure luck everything hasn’t been SB yet.

Wat?!

Its just a theory but wouldn’t it be a great sales model is all RWT stores went down and DECA could sell everything? I mean, even Kabam let us have tradeable STs. But this is merely a theory and can count as slander (but I know they thinkin of it)

What if decker secretly own every rotmg rwt site?

Nothing makes more money than misery boxes

event dungeons

People buy boxes because event dungeons

Yeah, more keys from mystery boxes but those in hand are just buying keys. I’d love to save this for another thread because its offtopic but its so weird over half of cosmetics are locked behind mystery stones BEHIND mystery boxes BEHIND paywalls.

one thing is that it isn’t as common as people think it is. ive been doing ice caves for like 2.5 hours now in public with 30-60 people, every maybe 5-7 ice caves someone gets an ogmur.

As someone who just got his 2nd event white in 6.5 years of player yesterday, its kinda sad seeing people get free ogmur. Despite not being the kind of player who goes and actively faarms events, i have seen many who do that for hours upon hours and then some random red star gets and ogmur from a public ice cave.

DECA need to stop with these chest events, they’re ruining the game.

I don’t find anything wrong with putting Event whites in an Event chest for special occasions.

• I left a small summary for those who don’t want to read lengthy text
  1. Most people who get whites horde them and never use them just so they can say I have it since they are too scared too loose them; that’s a flawed game mechanic since this is a perma death game so it can’t really be helped that you don’t want to loose something that took you 3 years to get. If your argument is “Now there are too many of X items”, yea and people die with them fast. Literally saw 8/8’s die in an Ice Cave with Ogmurs in their inventory. Death is inevitable in this game and natural selection will get rid of a majority of those whites. I promise you people will loose them faster than you expect and the good players will keep them but not forever

2. ST’s. I could care less if they throw a CDirk at us for LH event or something simply because Etherite and now that Cleaver exist. Etherite isn’t an Ogmur but theres’s some ST’s that are better than their counterpart whites. As long as there are ST’s that are a direct upgrade then making you work for an event white in a chest rather than literally purchasing it pretty much is fine with me.

3. An Ogmur is an Ogmur. It doesn’t devalue the item just because many have it now; (Though drop rate was way too high in the first place and now people have 4 or more Ogmurs which that is a little ridiculous). An Ogmur is sought after because it’s very good which is what whites SHOULD be, not because it looks nice and no one has it. You should want it for it’s versatility, not for it’s rarity just to say you have it but that goes back to point 1 where people are afraid to loose it so you might as well not have one if you’re never going to use it.

4. (This point is entirely up for debate since many say dupers don’t exist or can’t dupe anymore, I digress) They are soulbound. Dupers don’t care about something like this because they already have endless supply’s.

I think this is fine, just don’t make Event whites a regular thing in chests. The main source should be where they drop from but here and there yea, make them drop in a chest. No one want’s to grind X amount of years for an item. A perfectly fine supplement to dropping in chests is do a 2X event every month for the last weekend of that month. Id prefer the 2X event thing over chests since that’s still ‘Legit’ way of getting it. This is my two sense on the subject and I love open discussions about and hearing everyone’s points.

Summary: Event chests are fine in moderation but id prefer multiple 2X white events instead of grinding for 4 years at an item most people only keep to stare at

DECA was smart and put ogmur in so each member of their company can buy 5 yachts

I feel like drop rates are going to be the same but still be much more common as you can farm a months worth of lotlls in just a day with all the ice cave chains, and esben is harder and deadlier than lotll and doesn’t drop any mega worthwhile whites, skull is nice, but easily able to work without, staff is extremely situational and needs a buff, last ice cave had the winter wc top reskins, and that’s what people were actually farming for, as it was easy life and mana.

So I would say it’s either Ogmur, Winter Tops, or Deca Ring, and only one of those items wouldn’t screw over the economy to drop, 99% of complaints at Deca during chest events is the economy, so it only makes since

1. Not justified in all honesty. Imagine you’ve been grinding multiple months for an Ogmur to finally get it, then a week later you get a 2x Event White event and a Chest Event that drop the same item that you’ve devoted a lof of time trying to obtain.

Like which?
Etherite may do more damage outright, but it has its quirks which balance it out.

There are no ST’s that are “direct” upgrades. A direct upgrade is an item that shares the same stats but values are increased. The tiered items for example, each tier is a direct upgrade from the previous.

With the nature of the item, you have a slight point. But it was so sought after because not as many people had it. If there’re a bunch of players running around with Ogmurs, the material value of it is devalued.
Think of it like this; if 25% of the world population were millionaires, would it be so impressive anymore?

People don’t keep it to stare at it, or even are “too scared” to use them, they’re waiting for the right time.
If I got an item from my dream set, it would sit in my vault untouched until I had the entire set put together. I’m not scared to lose it, but I’m waiting for the right opportuntity.

They are smart for sure xD