Why is autoclose inconsistent?

Continuing the discussion from Why topics close after 60 days?:

24 hours:
https://www.realmeye.com/forum/t/stupid-spam-marking-system/10042/14?u=iburnyou

Natural Topic closing

Whine Cellar posts auto-close after a day.

Very early threads stayed open because they were created before the two-month rule was added.

Everything else gets two months.

[Drat, ninja’d. OB]

I know about the never-auto-closing threads of old, but 6 months struck me as a weird amount of time.

I wasn’t entirely sure the WC was the reason for the 24h duration, but OB cleared that up.

The only real remaining question is the 6 months then, I suppose.

Some threads were closed manually after some people noticed old threads not closed 6months after the last reply.

So the limit used to be 6 months, but was shortened to 2 months at some point for some reason?

There used to be no limit. It was set a few days(??) after the forums went up. Threads created in the first few days had no limit. People noticed after the thread wasn’t replied to for more than two months, and the mods manually closed it themselves.

Yes, but where did the 6 months arise?

Is the question why some threads have 2 months, and others have 6 months?

I just saw this thread though, in #ideas :
Red flowers (Belladonna’s Garden Suggestion)

with a 6 month timer.

FWIW I think 2 months is too short and leads to unnecessary thread repetition, though as long as we’re fine with reopen+merge to minimise fragmentation, then that’s okay.

i also remember seeing 4 months close as well.

Yes. This thread is normal, but some threads, like @Nevov said, have a 6 month timer. I was curious how that came to be.

The thread where my quote “How come it’s 6 months instead of 60 days?” came from had a 6 month timer, but @OtherBill closed it, so you can’t see it anymore.

I’m not complaining about the timer being wrong, I’m just curious.

I can’t recall for sure, but we probably changed our minds a few times. Remember the expiration date is set the moment the thread is created, so if we changed the settings then any threads created under old settings would keep the same old expiration date.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.