Why Nerf Pets?

Nah it would be much more simple

For example it could just be if you are taking damage you are counted as in combat for a certain amount of time

I do not want pets removed I’m just pointing out that it’s not true to say pets don’t affect everyone. The argument “you can just not use your pet” makes no sense even though it is in favor of what I want (pets to not be nerfed). Which I’ve already realized nobody made that argument, I just got confused by what Mynamerr quoted and how he replied to the quote.

I’m going to quickly say my thoughts. A level 50 heal pet is approximately 73 vit. A wizard is balanced around 40 vit, not 110. This is only max uncommon.

Pretty much, yeah. Healing only matters if you have health to be recovered in the first place, so just consider the player to be in active danger if they’ve taken damage within the past X seconds. You could even do a slightly more advanced system where the specific damage of the shot determines exactly how long the pet stays in 25% mode, or something along those lines. Whatever the case, keeping track of player movement and positioning shouldn’t be necessary, as such a system would be way more complicated.

I see some really good arguments and suggestions flying around (toastrz, trolldllr), but one particular aspect that has been bothering me is that pets are taking away the “bullet hell” (danmaku) aspect of the game.
Well, I main knight, and with cc and mith and a decent amount of def pots my def is already ~50, which is enough to tank most of godlands enemies, (not to mention the high hp knight has anyways).
Bullet Hells punish you by making sure you die when you come in contact with 1 bullet (damn you utsuho reiuji!), so in my albeit slightly deluded opinion, I think that rotmg has already failed the bullet hell test in that aspect, which would span all the way back to wildshadow times and introduction of melees.
However, I believe this thread has opened my eyes on how “bad” pets have become in the game, and I really like some of the suggestions.
Just my 2 bucks.
(and what’s with this water is wet thing? Everyone should know that Dihydrogen Monoxide adsorbs to its own molecules due to hydrogen bonding and so therefore be considered wet.) :wink:

I think people tend to misinterpret what RotMG means by the term “bullet hell.” A bullet hell MMO in and of itself is quite rare, much less a permadeath one. I don’t think WildShadow ever envisioned this game as something along the lines of Touhou. Rather, it’s just referring to how the combat system is handled. There is no true melee battling, sword fighting mechanics, or anything like that. Instead, everything is handled through visibly moving projectiles (or in some cases, AoE blasts). Even swords and katanas are still technically treated as ranged weapons, since you release a projectile from your character and it needs to come into contact with an enemy in order to accomplish anything.

If this were ever meant to be a full-fledged bullet hell, the game wouldn’t have a defense stat in the first place, since tanking shouldn’t be something that’s even considered as an option. That’s not to say tanking should explicitly be a game mechanic, and I do still believe that every boss should be designed so that it’s theoretically possible to complete without ever taking damage. However, the ability to absorb some blows and not take fatal damage from a single projectile is a part of the game. What pets really influence is how much tanking is too much tanking for the game to still be challenging or interesting, at least not without having all projectiles deal damage in the hundreds.

These people with Divine pets will absolutley change gameplay for others in a drastic way. Priest or Necro will never be selected by these players (less group heal). And as for “stealing” SB, they rush they boss and stand on him while I’m over here actually dodging shots and getting out of range. This theoretically reduces the interval of time which I have to get SB damage. Effectively making it more difficult (more time sensitive) to get SB.

I’ve wanted pets removed for years now, fun times.

You are factually incorrect. Priest is a very important class in Lost Halls; which is what a good portion of realm players run these days in the absence of events.

The regen effect of vit and wis is nearly pointless

This is a point I’ll concede. However, I don’t think that this is a negative change for the game. Have you watched a Henez video? The game slows down because he can’t stun, the pallies can’t heal, the rogues can’t cloak. If you want a fast-based bullet hell game, then pets help make it possible.

(My Henez example can be seen in the literal first 15 seconds of this video.)

Rushing dungeons becomes easier, dungeons were not made to be rushed

I’m confused. Do you not know about the Rogue or the Trickster? Both classes made for rushing. Maybe the Trix wasn’t made for it, but the ability definitely lends itself to an easy time rushing.

this game can no longer be a proper bullet hell,

You make a few points here so I’ll do my best to counter them all. First, you say that

every dungeon in order to kill people now has to have a pet-stasis spam or instapop effect, which is just annoying

You were just complaining about the game not being able to be a bullet hell – why is a new type of shot a problem that you have with the game.

And sure, dungeons may have an instapop effect (especially those that are “endgame”), but those aren’t necessarily included to create problems for pet owners. Those are added to kill players who aren’t careful, who aren’t paying attention, or who make mistakes. See the Void Entity fight (which you may or may not have completed, judging by your account and LHZ’s entry requirements) – sure you can get instakilled, it’s how my trix ppe died, but you can also die to just fucking up your dodging. The shots do a LOT of damage.

And it’s not like Pet Stasis shots will protect you from a lot of these shots…
- does 150 and quiets, comes out in WAVES. Any of the shots in the MBC or Void fight do a lot, and unless you decide to take a seat on the pop rocks or give your Void frenemy a hug, you’re probably not going to get INSTA’d.

has to spam pet stasis and sick to stop the heal

Unless those dungeons are capable of doing more than 90dps to you, which they are (in the case of most end game content. Even a lot of mid game content. Take these fuckers they paralyze you and their friends all cuck you.)

and sure, that may not happen much, but that’s only because people are getting better at dodging and rushing (wow, we’re full circle)

so if they want to keep that they resort to sick spam, which makes priest and necro so much worse in this dungeon

I still can’t believe that you’re complaining that priests and necros have to dodge.

So, I recommend that you (as a player) go out and play some more. With less than a year played, you don’t know what old realm pre-pets was like and you haven’t had all that many maxed characters so I doubt you’ve truly experienced all that much end game content.

I’ve done a NPE and this is technically my 2nd account (1st was from wild shadow era and I remember almost nothing about it besides having fun and constantly seeing people die to medusas)

So I understand petless

Well puri priests are amazing though.

I don’t think Deca will nerf pets since a lot of people have sunk money into their pets so there’ll be a lot of backlash if they’re nerfed.
Personally I have no issue with pets, if you don’t like pets you don’t have to use them. You shouldn’t care if others have it easier than you.

This is the issue. People have sunk money (in some cases a lot of money) into pets at the current stats. If they were nerfed, anyone and everyone who has sunk a good amount of money into their pet instantly gets pissed, since that’s not what they paid for. They directly paid for a pet that heals/mp heals X/second, and if that, post-purchase, goes down, people will throw a fit.

Not to mention, the people who will throw a fit are the people with insane pets. As in the people who have spent a ton of money, or the whales of the game. The last thing Deca wants to do is piss off the whales, that’s where most of their income is from.

Of course the game slows down when you’re doing a dungeon with 3 other people. That’s the point. This was a time when teamwork was so much more necessary even to do the simplest of things. Wine cellars were actually prepared for and plans were developed to run them.

Rushing an abyss on a rogue with no hp/mp pet is definitely a lot more seedy than steamrolling one on a knight with a 90 hp heal pet. Very few people were taking that risk before pets. Thus, vit was often more valuable than defense.

Because the pet stasis projectile in every high tier dungeon is just another lazy addition to this game. When something is obviously broken – like the absolute OP dynamic of pets – the developers just throw in another way to divert the problem, rather than solving it. People are duping the absolute fuck out of every valuable item? Remove trading these items permanently (but hey let’s not spend too much time on fixing duping)! Are there so many damn knights that we’re afraid our dungeon bosses won’t be able to fire a shot? Let’s add “immune” and completely dissolve the purpose of knights! Want to put on some fun events but do no work to make them happen? Spawn an event chest! There are quite a few instances of these lackluster solutions.

Pets were dropped into the game to fill the pockets of Kabam (and now Deca). I really don’t believe at all that the developers had the future of realm in mind when implementing them into the game. They have only changed the skill required to be a successful player for the worse. Nobody gives a fuck about dodging in today’s realm. Before pets, if you got hit with 2 bullets from a boss you’d have to either get a heal from a priest or play conservatively for 20 seconds until your hp went back up. You actually had to dodge. Crazy right?

The fact that paying a decent sum of money is necessary to get a moderately good pet in a reasonable amount of time is so far from what Realm of the Mad God was intended to be. The fact that most players NEED a pet (that they spent actual, real currency on) to complete the highest tier dungeons is so so far from what is meant to be.

Nevov is absolutely right – why would anyone want to play priest when everyone has their own personal priest? Man, I love priests, but they’re a dying breed.

Pets should be removed entirely. Once the pets got implemented into the game, the game pretty much lost its whole meaning where dying became really hard to take place unless you’re a moron and dive head first into an O2 for example. The only way you can die right now is if you lag/rubberband, or if you make a really REALLY dumb mistake.

I mean they can’t be removed or really nerfed without massive backlash from most of the community as a lot of people dumped money into making a good pet. There’s no way they can get away with someone putting like 400$ into a pet then nerfing it or taking it out.

1. NPE while everyone has a pet is not the same at all.
  2. tf u mean “technically my 2nd account”. It either is or isn’t.
  3. I remember almost nothing about it besides having fun and constantly seeing people die to medusas) So I understand petless". - No, That means you clearly don’t understand petless

Instead of nerfing pets; why not introduce punishments for healing too much within a timeframe? For example; If all players gain more than 100k HP within 1 minute, then all players get slowed for x seconds (non-removable)

Were you asleep when you wrote out this idea?