Why you still play RotMG?

Hi all :slight_smile:

I’ve been playing this game for 10 years with breaks in-between. My reason for coming back each time has never necessarily been the added content but more because of this weird love for the game.

What are your reasons for playing this game?

Why do you come back after breaks?

The purpose of these questions is to simply ascertain why the player base continue to play this game. Other players have previously answered that the perma-death aspect is unique and that’s why they find themselves drawn to RotMG, whilst others like the challenge of maxing (now exalting) and finding the best items (forging has now affected this).

A similar post (2018) touched base on this topic but it’s almost 3 years old. Times have changed and people’s attitudes have changed towards the game (and/or DECA)

I’d be grateful to see everyone’s take on this and possibly whether their motivations to play have changed over the years (if veterans)

Thanks for reading :slight_smile:

Hmmmm… I guess it’s just because I really enjoy rotmg! I like the fact that there is so much diversity among content, and of course all of you amazing people reading this! :heart:

Well, there’s a few reasons that I’m still doing this. I’ve been around since 2014 (with a few smaller breaks here and there), so I’ve been around long enough to see the game change drastically.

Part of me wants to see how this game continues to evolve, for better or for worse. It reminds me of the people who introduced it to me that I’ll likely never see again now, and there’s some childhood memories of it with my siblings, so nostalgia plays a part. It is among the first mmo games I ever played in my life (because of family circumstance), with the only others preceding it being agar.io, wormax.io, and diep.io, so it was really cool back then, especially because we were all “working together” to fight for a common goal, rather than each other. It was a novel concept to my younger mind! It’s one of the few games I’ve had a chance to see a good portion of the lifespan for, so I feel a sort of morbid obligation to witness its eventual death, whenever and however that happens, and even if I stop playing it before then.

That was the largest reason, but some other minor ones include that it still holds some challenge for me (not being the best player out there), and I have benefited from this game’s need to dodge bullets with more of a reason than other games. It has quite literally made me a better gamer, in some aspects. Another is having such ready access to communication with online strangers in this type of medium, forums and in-game. I know that that’s found elsewhere, but I’ve always struggled to access that elsewhere within my family’s culture and allowances over the years.

Finally, to cut the ramble short, I consider it to be a higher grade of a “time-killing” game than other options out there that I have access to, so there’s that. I don’t have to think hard with this game much anymore, so it’s kind of therapeutic.

It turns out that this game is just too perfect for me mechanics-wise to leave. Permadeath, Bullet hell, RPG (lite), Roguelike(?), and even a semi-functioning economy are things that I happen to really like in a game. The only real problems I have with it are the way pets work (in the sense that they make the game more Rogue-lite) and the monetization system (which is much better than many other f2p games I’ve seen). I recently started a new account and it’s actually really refreshing. Bramble bow is now one of my top 5 bows! I began almost 4 years ago thanks to a friend. Considering how many games I try to play regularly it’s kind of amazing that I still play this one.

It’s the game responsible for my online circle of friends. most of which iv’e now known and played various games with for 5 years.

I’m addicted. I always come back.

I’ve played my fair share of grindy MMO’s (Maple Story and Runescape are the main subjects), as well as more casual ones (mainly Club Penguin) in my childhood. I liked the concept of arcade-y shmups and Twin-stick shooters. Permadeath and roguelikes and roguelites are all my jam. Pixel art is always appreciated by me.

Combine all that into one sushiroll, and boom, you have a template for RotMG.

I too have been playing off and on for roughly that amount of time…
The reason I most recently came back (~early Dec) was that I got a new computer and had gotten a little drained with the other games I had been playing in my free time. I was franky blown away with unity changes and noticed I was able to progress much more quickly than in the past, making some goals like having a divine pet, completing all endgame content, and getting and keeping rare items long enough to actually get decent use out of them much more achievable. I really like the fluidity of classes in this game.

Exaltations, obtaining the rest of the items that I really want but have not gotten yet (eg all of Gems items as a trick main), and becoming a more proficient endgame rusher is what will keep me here a bit longer. The last patch did make me rush pet feeding and denied my access to tiered items that I keep on mules (which I hilariously now have space for thanks to my vault feeding) which has made me less interested in playing this week… but I don’t see myself altogether quitting again for a while.

The community has for the most part been something I really did not enjoy prior to my most recent return, but having access to discord (between raids and guild discords) has definitely added to my realm experience.

I don’t.

I don’t either, and I’m not coming back.

Though I do notice that I’ve been playing less and less, I still occassionally boot it up for a proper short session. Frankly, it’s just that it’s not an experience you can really recreate - nowhere else do I know of a multiplayer bullet hell, or an RPG-style bullet hell (not counting Line’s project), let alone the fusion of those three.

Also I like getting cute skins every blue moon

I started playing because it was the only game that ran on my garbage macbook air and i still play it because it’s the only game that runs on my garbage macbook air. interestingly, i get less lag now than in flash. probably opacity…

Used to play it a lot now I just camp in a certain discord attempting to get a closed beta code while everyone around me gets them.
P.S. If you have a closed beta code give me it :wink:

The community. They come and they go, but i enjoy making friends with a host of individuals and just chatting. :)

deca/community: since rotmg is a small(ish) game, i feel that each individual member of the community can be a lot more involved, and i think it is at the perfect size rn.

white bag = drugs

got off it and got on league :^D

Proceeds to get addicted to League

Used to play this game because was the only thing my MacBook Air could handle, upgraded a beast deskop pc and still play this game LOL

Someday, I encountered a game where I had to make what I call builds: different combinations of equipments, accessories, perks and whatnots. Since then, I’ve played many of these kinda games. Son of a witch, Dead by daylight and Streets of Rogue are some of them.

That first game? I’m pretty sure its Rotmg. I’ve explained here how I found it if you wanna check that out.

So rotmg… is basically a nest of funky builds. Theres just so much you can do with all the items there are. Heck, builds just happen to dawn on me sometimes, even after playing for so long 3 years its crazy.

However, I’ve stopped playing recently, due to me not having the discipline to max characters with a spare unmaxed char. Can’t enjoy builds if you can’t make em’.

I started playing 3 years and 1 month ago, and it has been my favorite game ever since I found it. I think the main reason I keep playing is that I die a lot, and rebuilding and just seeing the stats slowly max out is very satisfying and keeps me going. And when I’m in a great place in terms of stats on my account, I can progress by trying the endgame content (halls/sanct on pally) to work on the end goal of exalting. With a wizard, which is normally my other 8/8 character, I just find it enjoyable solo playing, like realm clearing or cults that I don’t normally enjoy solo an other classes