WIP - Patron System, Gods on your side

Introduction and TL;DR

This is an idea I have been thinking about for a while, but I just started actually working on it. It somewhat inspired by the system of divine worship in the Elder Scrolls games (specifically Skyrim and Oblivion). Here is a quick TL;DR if you don’t want to read my ramblings.

TL;DR: You can unlock and then select/worship certain “benevolent” gods called Patrons to receive passive special bonuses and/or active abilities. You can only have one Patron selected/worshiped at a time.

Who are the Patrons?

Patrons are gods and deities who have broken free from the tyranny of Oyrx. They seek to aid mortal heroes in the fight against the Mad God, but this does not necessarily mean they are benevolent or purely good, as many of the Patrons only help mortals out of fear or hatred for Oyrx. Patrons themselves do not descend upon the battlefield to fight Oryx or his minions, but rather grant special blessings to mortals who they deem worthy.

How do I receive a Patrons blessing?

To receive a Patrons blessing, you must first prove yourself to the Patron you wish to receive a blessing from, which will unlock their statue in your vault. This can be done by completing a specific task that corresponds to that Patron such as reaching X level, completing X dungeon, etc. After you prove yourself to the Patron of your choice, you may then approach their statue and worship them. This will remove your other blessings, and add the blessing of the Patron you selected. You can change between Patrons as many times as you want.

List of Possible Patrons

This is a short list of some Patrons and effects that I have been thinking of. These aren’t all my ideas, but just enough for you all to see what the blessings may look like.

Amar

Amar
Patroness of birth, new beginnings, and compassion. To prove yourself to her, you must reach level 5 on any character.
Effects:

• Leveling up requires 15% less experience.
Lillinia

Lillinia
Patroness of the sun, the earth, and the sky. To prove yourself to her, you must reach level 20 on any character.
Effects:

• Grants an additional 40 points of health.
  • Health regens 10% faster.
Aldir

Aldir
Patron of the moon, the sea, and the stars. To prove yourself to him, you must reach level 20 on any character.
Effects:

• Grants an additional 40 points of mana.
  • Mana regens 10% faster.
Shavar

Shavar
Patroness of serpents, reptiles, and all scaled creatures. To prove yourself to her, you must defeat her deranged daughter, Snake Queen Stheno.
Effects:

• Grants an additional 5 points of speed and dexterity.
  • Your shots deal 20 points of additional poison damage over the course of 4 seconds.
Kalsifo

Kalsifo
Patron of fire, dragons, and magma. To prove yourself to him, you must defeat his wayward brother, The Ivory Wyvern.
Effects:

• Press ‘Z’ to surround yourself with a flaming aura for 20 seconds which deals 50 points of damage per second to all enemies within 3.5 sqrs. Can be used once per dungeon or once every 90 seconds while outside of a dungeon.

Thanks for reading! Do you think I should continue working on this idea? What should I keep in mind if I do continue this idea? Feedback is greatly appreciated.

These quests are so laughably easy for such overpowered buffs. While this would be great for lower level players, it’s most likely that higher level players will use and exploit the system. None of these buffs would really make sense to have in the game since we already have pets and all of these would just make it even more broken.

Patron?..
trove flashbacks

Yeah, a lot of the abilities are very powerful while actually obtaining them is insanely easy. Not a bad idea but I don’t think it will/can work out

Skyrim

Sounds like a good idea, I think that some of those are overpowered though. I would like to see some new concepts in this, some fun stuff too.
Ex: This desert goddess allows you to spawn a cactus every 30 seconds. (Cactus is just an image, not an actual part of scenery - can be shot through and walked through)
Ex: This patron allows you to teleport to a random location in a realm. (Can only be used in realm, not in dungeons, once per realm - you can re-enter the realm from somewhere)

This doesn’t really fit the theme of Realm. A game about common adventurers rebelling against monsters.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.