An Idea for the In Game Community

Here’s a thought, what if the actual in-game community was as nice as the forums community?

hahaha who am I kidding

oh your that discord spammer?

well… that would be weird… too much talking, and not like everyone here is nice.

The difference between in-game and on these forums is being a dick can be beneficial in-game, but here it isn’t.

It’s not the people. It’s the climate.

Toxicity and hate is low in the forums because everything you say here is displayed publicly for others to judge.

like that post I just made ^^

and that one too! ^^

And this one xD but I doubt the realm community could ever get non toxic :cry:

Question: has anyone here ever played an MMO in which the in-game community wasn’t “toxic” as RotMG’s is said to be? I certainly haven’t.

I believe it’s both.

I’m not old enough myself but apparently (according to old geezers like @Doc and @BMJ) the realm community used to be really nice, helping each other and all of that nonsense. :wink:

I guess it also has to do with size; in a tight-knit community like during the early days of RotMG, there’s less tolerance for d-bags because everyone knows each other.

And to address the OP, there’s tons of nice people in realm, you just gotta hang with the right bunch. Regen’s a pretty nice bunch of people to hang around, and I loved my old guild Toyota because they were also super nice.

Edit: Thanks @Fev for bringing me back here, I have a really bad habit of putting “also” everywhere :confused:

I have, but never the mainstream games.

i think @UnicornSla is right about it being correlated with the size of the community. My guess is that as communities get larger, there is more anonymity and people have less inhibition.

wow… i cant imagine that!

There are some key components that help explain why in-game can be worse than on the forum or elsewhere.

First, one of the universal laws of the internet: the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory.

Second, the game itself does not deter this behavior.

• Messages are ephemeral and so are not subject to review and comment by a wider audience over time, like this forum. People can get away with being an asshole without fear of consequence.
  • Messages are largely anonymous unless you know the person. You certainly don’t want to waste your time looking up someone after the fact (unless you like to roll in poop, I guess).
  • There is no reputation or like/dislike system in-game, unlike the forum or reddit. Rep systems are created in large part to serve as a self-regulation system for members of the community to promote things they want and demote things they don’t. Had we a rep system tied to /ignore that would lead to users getting muted – properly weighted in preference of older and higher ranked accounts – then I would bet we would see far less trash in-game. And spam, too.*

*If messages from ignored&muted accounts were also fed into a Bayes classifier and new messages from new accounts were piped through the system. That is, if msellers hadn’t been such a wimp. He feared griefers and trolls more than spam. :angry:

In the time before pets and even before the era of the first duping the people in RotMG were nicer. There was more helping, priests got donations for keeping people alive at oryx and other really dangerous places. There was no begging because during this era most people would drop tons of items from pbags and even blue bags in glands.

Well, dropping items was easier as you just dropped them to the side, you did not have to put them into your inventory then move away from the pbag then drop them out of your inventory.

I believe begging started shortly after they removed the dropping items over the side feature.

Well, I guess it boils things down to semantics.

Does the climate change the community? Or does the climate only attract certain types of people, therefore making a certain type of community?

It was so nice back then, but painful to die due to knowing it would be hard to get to rebuilding a character and a short anxiety attack from that. I don’t remember if there was paying for vault chests, but it must have been 250 gold per chest or something. The rage when I lost a turret sorcerer though. Horrible feels. ;-;

I guess it’s the latter. Those not satisfied with the climate can just migrate, like birds. I certainly have talked much more in the forums than in-game. Actually, I barely play anymore, but I keep coming to the forums.

What I mean is that, even if the in-game “climate” allows for such dickwads to appear, doesn’t mean people should be dickwads. But people still wanna be dickwads and we get a “toxic” community. So both the climate and the people make the game what it is.

oh my… such a common trend…

Hey that sounds like me! :sweat_smile:

Its always been 500 per chest, lulz. I cant tell if you are being sarcastic or are actually being affected by nostalgia extremely hard.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.