Assigning Each Item an ID [Combative Duping Idea]

#Disclaimer
This idea may have tons of flaws. I’m only suggesting a possible way to combat duping.

#Introduction This idea will add a few key things to the game, which would hopefully combat duplication issues.

The idea is to assign each item an ID (alongside their normal item ID). Now, you may be thinking, is this guy stupid or weird? No.

#Diving into the Idea – Idea 1 of 2 (PART 1) The idea is that, when an item drops from a bag, it is instantly assigned an ID. For example, if an Acclaim Sword is dropped, it would be assigned an ID of 1. If another Acclaim Sword is dropped a few minutes later, it would be assigned an ID of 2 (and so on). The ID will be assigned based on when the item was obtained (regardless of which player got it).

Note: The bag must be other than public. However, if an item assigned to an ID is dropped, and it is duplicated, it will still retain the same ID as the original.

#Diving into the Idea – Idea 2 of 2 (PART 1) When an item is dropped from a bag, it will be UNAUTHENTICATED, and will need an ID authentication. A reminder will be present on the top of the screen stating _"Your item needs to be authenticated"_.

Unauthenticated: The state of an item where it is soulbounded and cannot be equipped/drank after dropped.

Authenticated: The state of an item where it is unsoulbounded (if the item is allowed to be) and can be used/drank.

To authenticate the item, you need to go to a machine called The Authenticator and put the item that you want to authenticate to the server. Afterwards, press Authenticate. (Note the service is FREE).
After an item is authenticated, it will become AUTHENTICATED. See term above for definition.

The item will automatically disappear from your account if it is not authenticated within 10 minutes.

The downside of this idea version is that if you obtain a potion (e.g. potion of speed) from godlands, it has to be authenticated. The purpose of this idea is to combat multiple items dropping at the same time (at which the server may or may not get stressed, and make a mistake).

#Diving into the Idea (PART 2) When an item gets duplicated, the item carries the same ID as the original item (because it did not drop from a loot bag). When this incident occurs, the item will automatically become soulbound. A “flag” will be sent to the moderators for further evaluation.
#Flaws Now obviously, a good idea comes with some nasty flaws. For this idea, I may completely misinterpreted how the item system work. Additionally, duplicaters may find a workaround to this issue.
#Thoughts?

Thoughts on this idea?

Do note that this idea is not thought-out completely, and is a mere suggestion!

So kind of like how money has an ID?

Also, if I die with an acc, do all of the acclaims change their number?

Also, the authenticator thing seems a bit tedious considering the amount of things I need to get authenticated everyday. Playing for 2 hourse can yield me up to 20 pots(minimum). Authenticating all 20 would be dumb.

No lol.

No. They just disappear.

That didn’t answer my question.

Yep.

As I said, if you died with an acclaim sword, the ID will not change. Rather, it would be “deactivated.” Any acclaims that drop after your death will not be able to reclaim that number. This applies to everyone else. If you die with one acclaim, the ID is still assigned to the acclaim that you died with (it would just be inactive). If someone else got an acclaim after you died with it, the acclaim will not claim the dead acclaim’s ID.

And what are you going to do about all the acclaims currently circulating right now? Authenticate them? Because if that’s the case, there sure is going to be a lot of numbers to work with and store on a server.

That’s a good question. I never really thought about it.

I actually thought of making everyone use the authentication machine on all items that were previously dropped. Does that work?

Well yes, this is how most games verify and keep track of items. They assign an ID, I believe it’s called metadata, to items to tell them apart from others.
So while the idea is fine, DECA and probably even Kabam must have known about this as it is fairly common practice. And seeing as nothing has been done with it yet I will assume that the game’s current structure does not allow for this to be implemented easily.

I’ve seen this idea before.

this is almost as common an idea as the spell that starts from the outside and works inward.
if this was a good idea or even possible it probably would have been done ages ago.

thicc

Why not simply give each item a unique ID and if any two items have the same ID, the game deletes the newer one?

Other than that, decent idea. My only complaint is authentication. What if I’m in a Shatters and get a Bracer at the first boss? I probably won’t be out of there for more than 10 minutes. When that happens, rip my new Bracer.

I’d rate it 5/10. There’s a good concept under there, but there’s some useless or just bad ideas on top of it all.

i can think of a few problems. 1.you might be in a shats and can’t authencate it in 10 min, or you might have to go. other then that, it would kinda ruin the thirsty bonus, but thats about it.
[edit]ninja’d :frowning:

That’s what I’m trying to say…

As for deletion? What if the system makes a mistake?

Support, I guess. It’s what you have to do if your game crashes after you get a White Bag.

then deca whould get a ton of emails!

Yeah, because of their coding bugs!

Cool idea. I’ll try to re summarize your post, while adding in a few tweaks/points of mine, because I really like this idea. You’re free to add my ideas into your post w/o reference and can critique my thoughts as well. This idea can go far.

There are a few terms and definitions we’ll need to go through first:
Server: I’ll be using this loosely, for lack of a better term to describe where numbers/information can be stored for DECA’s access.
ID: A series of numbers and/or letters forming together that will identify to one item and be unique to that one item.
Refresh Period: A specific part of the game which forces the player’s client to refresh all items in inventory/vault and compare the item to the stored data in the server.

After reading that, you probably have an idea of where I’m going. Let me just lay it out from scratch:

1. Whenever any item drops, in a soulbound bag, anywhere in the realm at any time, it is assigned an ID and the time in which it was dropped. The ID of an item can be seen by the player below the item description, but not the time aquired (or it can be seen as well, whatever your choice). Once the ID has been recorded, that specific item and it’s ID’s data will be sent to the server.

Example: An Doom Bow drops. It is assigned an ID of 1A. The next soulbound item that drops, anywhere in the game, is a fulmi. It is assigned the ID 1B, and so on. From this idea, one can infer that there would have to be a system with a list of IDs, applying each ID to each item in alphabetical order (1A-Z, then 2A-Z, then 3A-Z, and after those being 1AB-1AZ, you get the idea. this way there are trillions upon trillions of different combinations).

Possible question: Won’t the server need loads of storage to store the IDs of every item in existence?
Yes, even as IDs with numbers and letters take up very less storage in binary digits, such a large amount of them will end up being very great. Therefore, we can adjust the requirements for things that actually need IDs, because no one tries to dupe Archon swords.

Possible question: Won’t it be somewhat difficult to keep track of so many things dropping everywhere and give them an ID?
Perhaps, but we could make it so the system, if you will, can take it’s time with giving items IDs, and we will not be able to trade or equip those items until we’ve waited for their ID to be assigned.

2. An item will never lose the ID until death with a char. After one ID is used for an item, it will never be used again. Point 3. addresses difficulties faced by potential dupers because of this.

3. The specifications of this point are subject to discussion and alteration as individuals may have better ideas than I do. Until then, here’s how we can imagine this will play out:
When entering/exiting portals (during that black screen describing the place you are travelling to), there will be a refresh period. The system (I have no better words for this, my apologies) will scan your inventory to make sure that all the IDs of the items you carry are completely unique. This can be done with a simple analyzation of the item and comparison with the ID data stored on the server, hopefully nothing too complex code-wise. If an item is found to have the same ID in the server, the item will be immediately deleted. Once the player has finished the refresh period, they will enter nexus or whatever with a message in their chat log, saying: x” item in your inventory shares the same ID as another. It has been removed from your inventory and your account information has been sent to DECA for review."

Example, in place of a duper: Jimmy is stoked about duping his jewel eye katana in his vault and proceeds to sell it in nexus for the big bucks. The two katanas both have the ID #69DD, but Jimmy doesn’t care and enters nexus. While travelling there, the server discovers that not only are there two existing jewel eye katanas with the same IDs, but one of them (the duped one, in this case) also doesn’t have a time in which it was dropped, giving the system two facts to prove that the item was duped. The system immediately deletes the item from Jimmy’s inventory and gives Jimmy the error message. Jimmy cries himself to sleep that night.

Possible question: Won’t all those refresh periods take up a lot of time/server power for each player entering and exiting a portal?
It probably will, but we can reduce the intances in which the system would perform a refresh period, for example only when entering nexus or exiting vault.

Possible question, AND this is the only legitimate flaw I see in my idea/@ConsoleMC’s idea: How would the server know two types of items even exist if they both have the same ID? Wouldn’t they be seen as the exact same then?
Very true, and that’s why I added the timestamp part later as well, hopefully it’ll serve as a second step in verifying a duped item. hopefully someone with more knowledge in coding/verification could add some input to this.

In conclusion, I tried to add on to @ConsoleMC’s idea but thought that the whole The Authenticator machine would be annoying and tedious for many users. Please give thoughts, ideas, and comments to both me and @ConsoleMC :slight_smile:

@Atrapper @Xaklor @RMGnoob @MrLoaf I’d love your input :slight_smile:

I realize later that it may seem like I’m sabotaging this post. Please tell me if so and I will kindly delete/move this to a separate thread.

Not all ID’s work this way, it can always just be a series of numbers. On the plus side, we can be able to tell what #dbow we just got.[quote=“JoshBros, post:18, topic:7160”]
Won’t the server need loads of storage to store the IDs of every item in existence?
Yes, even as IDs with numbers and letters take up very less storage in binary digits, such a large amount of them will end up being very great.
[/quote]

I had this question as well. It should be when people die with an item, the item gets removed/never existed. The ID is revoken and the all of the other items move up/down a number.[quote=“JoshBros, post:18, topic:7160”]
Perhaps, but we could make it so the system, if you will, can take it’s time with giving items IDs, and we will not be able to trade or equip those items until we’ve waited for their ID to be assigned.
[/quote]

Very tedious.[quote=“JoshBros, post:18, topic:7160”]
How would the server know two types of items even exist if they both have the same ID? Wouldn’t they be seen as the exact same then?
[/quote]

I just think it should be that you can’t replicate the ID onto a different item, much like how the USD system works.

that’s the exactly the same thing, with the same problem. you briefly touched on it here:

the system simply cannot handle that much unique information. even if you limit it to even just UT’s, it’s just too much information.

heck, it wouldn’t even remotely surprise me if this idea was suggested less than a week after UT’s became soulbound in the first place. and it still wouldn’t stop dupers because most of them are hacking anyway and could probably manually edit item identifiers directly.