Community Flagging

Higher trust levels = more experience, also, trust levels = more time = more to lose if their flag is incorrect.

[quote=“Momoxoxo, post:19, topic:5653, full:true”]

Is this actually fair though? as higher trust levels don’t necessarily mean higher maturity levels[/quote]

It works out pretty well, if flags are used. If immature people, as you characterized it, post immature content, they get flagged, flags get approved, and they can’t get those extra powers. It’s designed to be self regulating, if it’s used properly, and so far we’re pleased with it’s effectiveness.

It’s just a queue. Whoever gets to it first gets to choose. We can review the history if we want, and we can open a private discussion if we disagree. For the large part all of us have been on the squad long enough that we know what each other thinks and trust each others judgement.

Edit: here’s what it looks like:

Thank you doc, you saved me a lot of typing xD

those are two different kinds of off-topic. the off-topic section is for threads that have little to nothing to do with RotMG, typically forum games and just person-to-person interaction and the like. the off-topic flag is for flagging comments that have absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with the topic the thread is about.

for example: lets say Scorchmist and I start talking about this crazy shatters we just did in the game, but we were talking about it here, instead of over discord, in-game, or a thread talking about crazy shatters runs etc. even if no one’s being offended or attacked, and even if some people actually like what we’re talking about, it’s very off-topic and should be flagged. no one wants to open up a thread about flags and community guidelines and such and find 20-30 posts of Xaklor’s and Scorchmist’s random shatters.

I don’t think this is a very fair way of doing it so its more of a Dictatorship as the mods that see it first dictate what happens, Don’t you think it should be more modernized and deliberated together rather than a rational/irrational decision made instantaniously that could potentially come back and be wrong in the “Moderator court of law” so to speak

Edit: thank you all for your imput

That’s only unfair if you think the mods are unfair or tyrannical, is that what you think?

I don’t necessarily think that of the moderators at all and do have a lot of respect for them, but if you can dictate straight away without a deliberation between parties concerned in moderating a forum, its a dictatorship in that sense is it not?

Edit: I also believe that Dictatorships have a time and place, but not in the Realm Eye forums “Opinionated”

Careful, dictatorships are not inherently unfair. And even if (heaven forbid) a mod makes a mistake, you can pm a mod and ask about it.

The system works fine, I see no reason to change it and I doubt people above me think that way either

I must disagree with this not being a place to be moderator that way all the mods here are some of the most analytical level headed honest players / supporters of Realm I have yet to feel betrayed or cross by the moderators of this forum just the flag system kind of makes me sad how we don’t know when our flag is approved or disapproved.

Dictatorship works with the right people in charge

But if its an off topic thread you can still flag someone for off topic discussion in the off topic thread, should we really be able to flag someone for making a remark on a thread that is off topic for an off topic statement on a thread that was off topic from the beginning?, being that the thread had no relevance to RotMG or Realm Eye itself its generally completely irrelevant to what goes on within any part of Realm so is this still fair?

I disagree. We’re not beholden to some political ideology in our structure, and the vast majority of communities online have a centralized power structure in much the same way. Don’t let the thought of “dictatorship” be a bogeyman. If we’re take on a authoritarian or totalitarian stance then I hope people revolt and leave.

We’re spread out by geography, timezone, and life. That is to say we’re not often online at the same time. If flags come in it’s far better to address them quickly than to wait for some quorum consensus.

We’re here at the pleasure of MrEyeball and the other mods. If we have disagreements we’ll take it to our private area, and if we go off the rails we have a duty to let each other know and MrEyeball a duty to kick us out.

This is a problem in my opinion as no one stops learning until they die and you can always make changes for a better cause when a cause for change is justified to be better than the current.

so i remember saying this long ago, but isnt flagging an opinion, some people are lets say offended by different things.

Or is it only the clear misused ones counted? [quote=“Doc, post:15, topic:5653”]
Ignore.
[/quote]

just to clarify; does this mean that its not counted towards the record?[quote=“Momoxoxo, post:19, topic:5653”]
as higher trust levels don’t necessarily mean higher maturity levels
[/quote]

it usually does, right now, the regulars are people that i recognize to be somewhat mature[quote=“Xaklor, post:23, topic:5653”]
for example: lets say Scorchmist
[/quote]

ofc u use me ._. oh well[quote=“Shatter, post:28, topic:5653”]
how we don’t know when our flag is approved or disapproved.
[/quote]

i think it would be nice to let us know?

one thing that i noticed is: like in the corrupt a wish recently, three people got a bit off topic, and each of them got like 4 flags, were those flags not counted towards them? b/c if they were, i think only 1 would be needed to justify the point.

I do agree somethings the flags are a bit easy to get, especially since people love @scorchmist and asking me questions, which usually result in something off-topic, and unlike Xaklor, i personally HATE ignoring people, thus i direct everything to the general chat thread

Forums themselves are inherently political, that’s the nature of forums,[quote=“Doc, post:30, topic:5653”]
We’re spread out by geography, timezone, and life. That is to say we’re not often online at the same time. If flags come in it’s far better to address them quickly than to wait for some quorum consensus.
[/quote]

I’m more understanding now and behold a much larger respect for your work as I see how things could get out of hand quickly now that i understand you are from all different time zones so more of a diplomatic approach cannot work

We only approve the flag if the flag is correct and the post that was flagged is clearly violating the community guidelines.

If it were I would have said so.

On flag counts: the system counts “posts flagged” and “users flagged”. Four flags on one post is counted only once, but it does also remember 4 different people flagged it. Flag diversity is important for us to tell if it’s just one person acting out on a personal grudge by flagging all their posts (high post-flag count, low post-user count) as opposed to someone whose posts are more widely disliked (low post-flag count, high post-user count).

sorry i meant for the person that was flagging. [quote=“Doc, post:34, topic:5653”]
If it were I would have said so.
[/quote]

so then what is the different of approve vs. ignore?

Fair statement, I see there have been a lot of fallen regs recently do you believe their title revoke to be just or unjust?
also with the amount of recent fallen regs would you consider them to be immature?

depends on what it was removed for, i hink efnui got all his flags in one segment. [quote=“Momoxoxo, post:36, topic:5653”]
also with the amount of recent fallen regs would you consider them to be immature?
[/quote]

also depends, like Bluenoser, Toastrz and Pharest weren’t very active, thus lost it.

The other ones, me, efnui, and myname, you could say are immature, since we lost it due to too many flags.

Oryxyeti is in his own category.

you’re not listening. just because a thread doesn’t involve RotMG directly doesn’t mean it’s an unimportant thread. threads in the off-topic section are not frivolous or devoid of meaning, they still have a topic that you can deviate from and need to be flagged for.

I really don’t see what your problem is. I guess you can think of it this way: the “off-topic” section is the “other” section.

My train of thought is like that of a train going through a very narrow tunnel, I understand now thank you. :slight_smile:

I feel like this some of the mentality behind bad flags. It’s better to say this than flag for off topic, because it lets other people know what you consider off topic.