A question about RotMG's "retro" graphics

I don’t know if there was a time where most sprites were 8x8.
I thought most sprites on an 8-bit console were 16x16, and the “8x8” sprites are actually 65x65
Also, the walls like the ones in Deadwater docks are clearly 3D…
Can someone help me understand this once and for all?

Realm looks the way it is because it was originally made to win a contest using the resources given to them. It’s not because it was attempting to look like a particular style.

If someone is saying the game is 8-bit style it’s just casual use of language to convey the feel of the graphics rather than any precise meaning that refers to 8x8 sprites, or anything.

This is an ancient video (Feb 2010) warning LOUD and you can see it has mixed sprite sizes even then, with Oryx 16x16.

The 8x8 thing is, I think, just because 8 is a nice logical number to scale things with, and divide things into. But I admit I’m making this up as an explanation.

Video unavailabe :frowning:

Instead of playing the video normally, click the link at the top of the video window. This should open another tab with YouTube, where it is available (idk if this is a new problem, it’s happened in other places on the forum as well).

Forgot to do that. Weird it doesn’t work here.

It makes it a lot easier to handle in code especially if you’re using bitwise operations. So this at least is true :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.