Anime Discussion Thread

(I couldn’t find any better quality)

I got bored so I tried to draw Diego Brando from JoJo Steel Ball Run. Here’s the result. Not perfect but I’m happy it came out decently. Was fun might try to draw more jojo characters later.

ominous%20smiling

Talking about SBR, there’s already a fan-made soundtrack for it. At least, an ACT 1, as well as a few songs of ACT 2 - quite a few character themes, a main theme, a few specific scene themes…

I’ve seen a fan made opening for it before. They’re all really cool I just can’t wait to see what David does because they almost always seem to get it perfect and in a unique way.

Hey, I’ve been interested in watching anime recently and I was wondering what 14+ (or under) rated anime’s would be recommended for someone who has watched pokemon (the original and black and white) and a couple episodes of One punch man (wasn’t really my thing) so basically any suggestions for a first timer?

edit: also sorry for the bump

You should try out Dr. Stone. Basically, everyone in the world is turned into stone and the main character Senku is using science to fix everything up.

And you don’t have to be sorry for bumping if you’re furthuring the discussion

If you’re not too morally stringent/can find it; A Silent Voice is really good

Honestly I have no idea what a 14 year-old likes.

I could recommend Hayao Miyazaki’s films or GTO to you but I don’t know if you’d like them. If we’re talking more recent stuff then maybe Kimetsu no Yaiba or Dr Stone?

I really just want something my parents wouldn’t kill me over if they caught me watching it.

I found one that I’m enjoying atm but I will definitely check this one out when I get a chance sounds interesting from the trailer.

I looked at the first episode of JoJo’s for the memes but it looks to be too violent for what I’m interested in. (I don’t mind violence but its not interesting on its own.) maybe it gets better but based on the first episode it kinda just looks like some thief’s son pissing on JoJo for no reason.

I’m surprisingly enjoying “We Never Learn: Bokuben” rn. I know its a harem type of thing but I’m finding myself enjoying the story. (I’m not just watching for the girls.) I’ve seen the first 4 episodes and I’m looking forward to see where it goes. (hopefully not anything too NSFW)

The first part of JoJo (Phantom Blood) is indeed quite slow, but please trust me when I saw that it gets so much better afterwards.
And no, you can’t skip past it, because it serves as the base for the rest of the parts.
(Though I won’t lie that there’s quite a bit of violence and mediocre gore here 'n there)

Also, might I suggest the movie Your Name?

That’s not exactly what I meant. Your parents wouldn’t kill you for reading the entire civil code of Louisiana, doesn’t mean you’d enjoy it.

Things kinda change as the show progresses. There’s a reason why it’s still so well-known and it’s not for being a basic bitch show about family drama.

I wonder if you’d like Kaguya-sama:Love is war.

And don’t worry: we’re all watching anime for the plot.

Depends what you consider “too NSFW”.

It’s probably going to have the typical fanservice with the main character accidentally groping or seeing the girls naked or whatever, but there’s no way in hell it has any actual sex scenes or full fontal nudity.

You can read/watch every part as its own self-contained story and not miss anything important, especially once you get to parts 7 and 8 which are separate alternate universes. The connection rarely goes deeper than “the new JoJo is a relative of one of the old ones”.

Can confirm it’s pretty good.

Except maybe how Hamon/Stands work, the relation between Dio and the Joestars, various references to previous parts in newer ones…
Though with SBR and Jojolion, I can see those being more seperate indeed - although SBR still provides some background for some stuff in Jojolion.

Has to be re-explained every part because new characters. Also Hamon is only a thing in parts 1 and 2.

Only relevant for part 3 and it’s explained there anyway.

All of this is the reason why I said you wouldn’t miss anything important instead of saying you wouldn’t miss anything at all.

There are indeed some references to previous parts and going through them in chronological order does change the experience but not to the point that it’s impossible to understand what’s going on if you skip a part.

JoJo isn’t the Nasuverse or Monogatari series, is basically what I’m trying to say.

WA HA HA
lol

As for your comment regarding JoJo, you can safely ignore all the people who decry part skipping- you can start wherever you want, whenever you want. You will miss out on some bits though

Can also confirm.

ik, but as long as they don’t walk in on a nude scene I don’t think its that hard to explain.

it censors the tits when showing boobs and doesn’t show vegana. I just finished season 1 today and even though there’s more nudity then I’m comfortable with watching when my parents are home and I don’t have realm I can quickly switch to and pretend im playing when they walk in. I’m still hooked

you’re right, I’m really just looking for something with lots of humor that will make me laugh or at least think to myself “that was a good joke!”

I’ll check that out.

yeah, I’m honestly just trying to cover my butt from the obvious “hehehe what a perv watching anime just for the girls.” remark.

thank you all for helping me get into anime and find some shows I might enjoy!

People will assume that regardless of what you say. The more you claim you’re “totally not watching anime for the tits and asses I swear”, the more they’ll assume you are lying to cover up for it.

Just don’t call attention to it and you’ll already look better than all the thirstposters (but at the same time be honest with yourself and admit when fan service is working on you).

Weird that you didn’t like One Punch Man then. It’s a shame because that might mean I can’t recommend Mob Psycho 100 to you: it has the same author but I think it’s less one-note than OPM (and it also has very good animations). It does have its fair share of fighting though.

If we’re talking comedy animes then you could also try Nichijou.

If they claim that and then you are watching promised neverland, all of the sudden they are the perverts because by saying that they are suggesting the female characters are attractive and the major characters are 6-12 years old.

And how do you figure that particular exchange would go?

"-lol watching anime is for perverts

-joke’s on you, the anime I watch only has kids as characters!

-… yeah that’s exactly what I meant you pedo degenerate"

I don’t think you thought that one through.

What I was telling Hippobro is: don’t act insecure about what you watch. Either you have too many misgivings about a show and you don’t watch it, or you’re fine with it and you keep watching.

Constantly going “ooh boy I sure hope nobody thinks I’m doing anything improper here haha” is only going to make people cringe and think you really do have disgusting shit to hide.

Good show, 100/100 would recommend

1. Kill la kill (action and titties but a classic)
  2. Konosuba (action and a little titties but funny
  3. Kimo ni Todoke (wholesome and cute, no titties)
  4. Tsuredure Children (also wholesome and cute, little to no titties)
  5. The Monogatari Series

Monogatari is a show I’ll never not recommend to anyone. It’s pretty much entirely unique and very dialogue and character development focused. The order you gotta watch them in is semi complicated though, it’s not a show with straight seasons, each “season” is named something different so you gotta go look for em. Also there’s movies and they’re very good.