While we’re all waiting impatiently for Unity and the Bard class to drop, let’s have an art contest! We haven’t had one in awhile, so now’s the time to throw your inner thoughts, ideas, and passion on the sprite sheet! Bards and pets - let’s see what you’ve got!
I. You have around a week and a half to submit your art. SUBMISSION DEADLINE: 03/15 at 12AM UTC // 16 PM PST (the previous day) [March 15, 2020 12:00 PM (UTC), March 15, 2020 1:00 PM (Europe: Brussels), March 15, 2020 8:00 AM (America: New York), March 15, 2020 5:00 AM (America: Los Angeles), March 15, 2020 11:00 PM (Australia: Canberra)]. All entries submitted after the deadline will not be reviewed!
II. One submission per person >>>SUBMIT HERE <<<, containing at most 1 Bard character skin and 1 Pet skin. You can take a shot at both or just one of those categories - entirely up to you!
III. Sprite details:
- Bard character skins:
- must be 8x8 pixels with all 15 frames for right, down, up - walking, attacking. Submitting 16x16 character skins will disqualify you! Full sprite sheet size is 24x56 pixels. Example HERE.
- Dye mask (optional) - the same size as the skin’s sprite sheet (8x8 pixels). Example HERE!
- The sprite sheet should display front, profile (sideways) and back views as can be seen in this example.
Here is the final look of the Bard Default Skin. Sprite sheets HERE.
- Pet skins:
- can be both 8x8 or 16x16 in size with 3 frames for standing and walking. Attacking frames/animation are optional.
- 8x8 sprite sheet size is 8x56 pixels.
- 16x16 sprite sheet size is 16x112 pixels. Example for both HERE.
- The sprite sheet should display sideways movement and (optional) the attacking frames as can be seen in this example.
IV. Display of sprites:
Please provide the skin in Preview mode (GIF/PNG file) which can be done with tuvior’s tool. Entries that do not have such a preview will be disqualified. Background must be transparent (no background) or one-colored when submitting your preview, so the skin is readable. Examples HERE and HERE.
V. Please give a short description for each of your designs - don’t leave room for interpretation If you do provide a description, please make sure to separate the imgur link and the description into their appropriate fields in the form - any submissions that have descriptions but have their imgur link in the inappropriate field, will be disqualified.
VI. You’re allowed to use a design that you had already worked on in the past, as long as it’s never been used anywhere else (winner in another Art Contest/Discord Event).
VII. No copyrighted content, but vague references are allowed.
VIII. Deca reserves the right to disqualify a submission if it doesn’t fit the criteria above or contains inappropriate content.
IX. Award prizes will be given out the the RotMG account names that artists provide. Please DO NOT change your name until all rewards are distributed!
I. Bard character skins:
- The top 3 winners of the Bard character skin category will receive either a License Key to the popular spriting tool Aseprite or access to the RotMG Exalt Supporter Beta.
Note: The winners will get a PM from Deca_Dytto on Reddit, so in case you already have both the license and Supporter Beta access, other rewards might be offered.
II. Both skins:
Additionally, the top 5 winners in each category will be granted the following prizes based on their ranking:
- Rank 1: 4000 gold, a character skin of their choice (only Skins that have already been sold on RotMG, including mystery box prizes) as well as their own skin once it’s released on the live server
- Rank 2: 2500 gold, a character skin of their choice (only Skins that have already been sold on RotMG, including mystery box prizes) as well as their own skin once it’s released on the live server
- Rank 3: 1500 gold, a character skin of their choice (only Skins that have already been sold on RotMG, including mystery box prizes) as well as their own skin once it’s released on the live server
- Rank 4-5: 1000 gold, their own skin once it’s released on the live server
Exceptions: All super exclusive skins like the Artist Extraordinaire/ Dungeon Mastermind/Future Tester skins, Supporter skins, Mini ST skins, 16x16 skins like the Beefcake Rogue Skin, Bagston Pet skins, Maneki-neko Pet Skin, White Bag-chan Priestess Skin etc.
We will also randomly select one non-winning artist to receive Crystal of Fortune x80, so make sure to submit your design by the end of the competition to get a chance at winning this amazing raffle!
HOW VOTING WORKS:
- DECA team + the lovely UGC team will choose the top 20 submissions.
- After that, you, the Realmers, will have a chance to vote for your favorite entry! Your top 5 will be taken into consideration for the final winner’s announcement which will be done after some input from the Deca members.
Q: What do you mean by “never been used anywhere else”?
A: It means that you can’t recreate a skin idea that had been posted by someone else on this subreddit. If you have a cool skin that you had already posted on the subreddit but which never made it into the game, you’re allowed to use it for the contest as long as you are the creator and it did not win in any other Art Contest (hosted by Deca or the RotMG Official Discord).
Q: I understand the (character) sprites have to be 8x8, but do we have to present them in 8x8?
A: No you don’t have to. In fact you must send us a preview (can be generated with tuvior’s tool) so they’re easier to see. What’s important is that it works as an 8x8 design.
Q: Is there a specific theme for the skin?
A: No, you can create the skin in whatever theme you’d like.
Q: Is there a guide on how to create a skin?
A: Yes. A former UGC member, Poshun made this video awhile back and it’s been a guiding light to everyone who wants to try out spriting! Thank you, Poshun!
Q: Is there any way I can test my own Character Skin before I submit it
A: Of course! You can always use pfiffel’s tool, load your sprite sheet (Load Skins option in the upper right corner) and, if one is created, the dye mask (Load Mask option in the upper right corner) and see how your skin will look in action. Unfortunately, pets and enemies cannot be tested with this tool.
Q: Will the winners of the art contest be added to the Contributors group?
A: The winners will not automatically gain admission to the Contributors group this year. DECA may offer certain outstanding artists access to the Contributors group at its own discretion.