Can someone explain to me why DECA gets so much shit over their servers?

For context, I pretty much only play on USMW2 (never crowded unless an admin/moderator or something else comes onto it), and besides running halls w/ MCH, who make sure they’re not doing it on a server pub halls is running on, I never have too much trouble as long as they’re <70 player runs. 70+ is where the lag tends to get noticeable, but as I’ve said on the “Unpopular opinions” thread, it doesn’t matter how clean your code is on an 8 year old flash game, if you’re running a dungeon as deadly as halls w/ 100+ people, someone’s gonna DC, die to lag or get kicked to char select by their hacked client.

I’ve played on USW2, and boy does it suck, but… should that surprise anyone? It’s basically permanently crowded, and you’re lucky if you can maintain 30-40 FPS.

I also play an incredible amount of trickster, which due to being more-or-less the buggiest class (You immediately notice if your teleports are anything less than immediate, due to them often being in a life-or-death scenario), means that I should notice the effects of lag the most.

I have pretty good internet all around, but I feel like there’s something else here that I’m missing entirely. Would anyone care to enlighten me?

Because we go on USSouth where it’s always full (during events) and we cram the max amount of players into dungeons, and then we complain about getting DC’d and the lag.

People have shitty internet but they blame DECA for their death so they don’t feel as bad?

Maybe try playing the game so you can actually experience lag before you start saying that people are just using it as an excuse. I will own up to a lot of my deaths, but there are two that I cannot provide any explanation for besides lag.

The most recent is actually my latest priest. It got popped by Oryx during the chase phase, approximately one second after I used Puri so I had time to not be slow and put distance between myself an oryx, and of course I was then at full health because priest healing + pet healing. Oryx was not close to me on my screen, I was ahead of the bullets, and it’s simply impossible for the bombs to have done enough damage to me. So why do I die? Asking in realm after and I get told that oryx “ran over me.” That certainly wasn’t what was happening on my screen, so what caused it? Lag is the only reasonable answer.

The next one was all the way back during MotMG. My huntress was almost my first 2k base char and I was fighting the stone guardians and got popped. This was when I was noticing some rubberbanding and probably should have nexused, so even this doesn’t really count at this point, because if it did I’d probably be counting a couple more deaths from before I started being more liberal with nexusing as soon as I noticed bad lag. But the priest I was using as my first example didn’t have any of this at all, even my tome usage didn’t show any delay that would indicate I was lagging.

My recent priest death is it’s own thing. I regularly check my performance stats, especially before realm closings to see if I should reset my client, and I consistently get thirteen milliseconds or less ping when playing on my main server, which happens to also be usmw2. Even then I still have one experience that I cannot provide an explanation for besides lag, and I am trying to be as reasonable as I can, even dismissing even deaths due to lag because I could have dealt with that lag better. But I shouldn’t have to deal with lag, especially with my internet connection. http://prntscr.com/n9dk39 here’s a screenshot using ookla speedtest with this comment in it. So no, I am not blaming deca because of my “shitty” internet. I am blaming deca because at this point the only upgrades to my internet are basically fiber, and I shouldn’t need fiber to play a pixel mmo. Not to mention this lag happens even in smaller groups with maybe 10-15 people, sometimes more, sometimes when I’m soloing a snake pit, but definitely times outside of a halls filled to max with people. There is a point where deca is the only logical option, and this game’s servers definitely meet that criteria.

mmmmm.

I’m not a new player just because I’m light blue star :slight_smile:

Yes you are, you can’t lie to me, because…

I know everything period. period

Honestly, it’s pretty safe to rule out wifi issues when a)everything else is working fine and b) you normally get playable performance when playing realm.

If everything else using wifi works, it means that your wifi has not committed neck rope (yet). Point B also further proves that your wifi and your computer are not to blame.

Thus, what else can you blame? The only logical answer is DECA’s servers.
To those who say “DECA operates servers at a lesser capacity than kebab”, that’s technically incorrect, but the effects are the same.

According to some DECA dude (Krathan I think?), DECA is using the same servers as Kabam for rotmg- it’s just that due to the new operations added by DECA, more resources are required to keep any amount of players playing. Due to this fact and the fact that server capacity has not increased, naturally people will get more lag than they did with Kabam.

It may be decent on the US side, but it’s absolute trash in OCE. We get a disconnect every 2-5 minutes it’s absurd (for reference this is on our servers, not US or EU).

Idk about AUS/Oceania, but US is pretty good.

Hey, that’s starist! :angry:

honestly, why are you surprised

Ah yea, most, if not, all US servers are fine on my end. If I really wanted a crowded realm, I do hop on a US server with minimal lag. There’s definitely a delay, but it isn’t severe and it’s normal considering I main ASE/AE

AUS on the other hand, I have no idea what’s up with that server. Many of my friends can connect to it without too much lag or a problem, but not me. I lag extremely badly there, experiencing frequent disconnects and 300 net jitter average. Even on an EU server, my net jitter is 1/3rd of that and more stable.

And for the record, it’s definitely not my internet

Like I said, at some point, you have to accept that it is DECA’s servers

The Australia server has never lagged for me (On DECA’s side anyways)

See, this is what baffles me. You either lag or don’t lag in there. Heck, my Australian friend with decent internet gets better connection in ASE/AE than Australia, while some of my ASE/AE friends still fare decently in AUS. x)

If multiple other people say they seen you clearly getting run over by Oryx and you didn’t see that on your screen that sounds a lot like it was on your side, not Deca’s.

From what you’ve said in your post it doesn’t sound like Deca sided lag at all, the people you said you talked to didn’t say anything about experiencing lag themselves, just that you got run over by Oryx, if everyone else was fine and didn’t complain of any lag the only logical option is an unstable connection on your side.

You also need to check if it actually is server sided, if nobody else is experiencing any lag but your screen consists of pure rubberband that isn’t Deca-sided at all.

or, you’re having an issue with the specific server you’re connected to, if you’re the only one having issues the lag is 100% an issue relating to your connection to the server, not Deca servers going to shit.

That isn’t Deca’s servers though, as Phantom said, other people they know connect completely fine without any issues, the problem is the connection between you and those servers, not the servers themselves.

Why are there problems with connections between certain people and that server in the first place? Why can I go from net jitter of at most 13 for over an hour at a time, then still reset my client just to be safe to make sure there isn’t a memory issue or anything, get back on and still have low net jitter, play for only 10 minutes when I could play for over an hour fine, and then run into problems at the most inopportune time possible? Why wasn’t I rubberbanding or showing any other signs of lag at all? What makes you think no one else was experiencing lag at all? It was oryx, basically always there are multiple people experiencing lag, and this was no different.

That happens to my trash pc I have great internet and when there is more that 30 people in a dungeon it crashes

You live far away from the server?

If it’s certain people only the server isn’t likely at fault.

You didn’t provide any information that could say that, the people you got responses from acted as if there were no issues present and that you had just been run over.

If most people were experiencing issues I’d say it’s the server itself going to shit, you didn’t say anybody else was lagging though, the people you got responses from acted as if there were no issues at all, if it was only you and maybe a couple other people out of 30-40 people it’s more likely your connection to the server, not the server being shit.

The only time I’ve basically ever experienced server-sided lag anywhere was in extremely crowded servers, such as USS during keys, or me visiting a server that doesn’t provide a good connection to my area, such as AUS, and on very rare occasions I’ve experienced it randomly on a server I usually have a good connection to.

If you’re the only one experiencing these issues the problem most likely on your side, not Deca’s, try other servers and see if you continue to have these problems.

From this post you said you’ve experienced much worse issues before, if that’s the case, and you’ve had problems with your connection to the server before, I wouldn’t say your connection can be ruled out entirely.

Along with the fact that other people didn’t seem to experience any issues, both being able to tell you how you had died and nobody complaining before, after, or during the oryx fight that there was any lag present.

it was most likely your connection to the server, rather than the server being bad.

This is also a factor, back when I was playing on a really shitty desktop I would experience a large amount of issues, my internet connection was usually fine but I’d die to things that either I couldn’t see or things that I had no control over.

There are more factors to look at rather than just immediately jumping to “well my internet is good (afterward) therefore Deca’s servers are 100% the issue” especially when nobody else complained of issues, which is a good indicator of whether the lag is on your side or Deca’s side.

Try playing any other primary popular US server, or most servers that are used by discords or streamers during events. The lag is really bad. Not to mention that many servers, full or not, tend to get really random, inconsistent and terrible lag spikes that can last anywhere from a second to long enough to 10min DC an entire realm or server.