Class Idea: Flailer

#

Flailer

I’m Just here to save room for the sprites when I make em~

#
With golden, war-tarnished armor donned, the old man picks up his flail and slings it over his back, donning his magic gauntlets for the final time, this war of the mad god… It will end with him…

#
“I’m A Flail-E-Yay, not a Flail-Er!”

The flailer is definitely an interesting class idea, he wields a burst DPS weapon, and wears heavy armor, to make up for his lack of natural ability to protect himself. He is different, specially considering his main hallmark the flail. The flail that the flailer wields is similar to a ball and chain. The weapon has only one projectile, and only that one can be onscreen at any time. No exceptions.

He’s definitely Realm’s “glass cannon” able to deal large burst damage in a few seconds, but not take much in return

Base	Gain		Average at 20	Max
Hit Points	150	20 to 30	625		720
Magic Points	100	2 to 8		195		252
Attack		15	0 to 2		29		75
Defense		0	0		0		30
Speed		5	0 to 2		26		45
Dexterity	10	0 to 1		23		40
Vitality	10	0 to 1		19		30
Wisdom		10	0 to 2		24		45

Old and fragile, the Flailer can’t run as fast as other classes, nor take as many hits, but his inhuman strength turns him into a force to be reckoned with. His attacks are slow, but they pack a punch! It takes a lot of energy to use his abilities, so it takes time for him to recover

Onto the Flailer’s main weapon: the flail, because it is connected to the flailer, it has a limited range (dagger reach, 5.6 tiles, so not quite melee, but not ranged either), and not only that, it has to be reeled back in to be able to be used again, causing a literal cooldown on the character’s weapon. (which would be affected by the character’s dex, making the “reel in time” faster)

#Tiers!

##Flails
All Flails Pierce and are launched to where the pointer is. Resting there for .25 of a second, dealing damage to all enemies in contact with the flail until the reel in occurs. The Flailer’s movement speed is 70% of normal when reeling in the flail. The cooldown is in seconds, and is the base. The minimum a natural reel in can be, is .25 secs, with max dex. Dex rings and tincs can lower it further, but the reel-in will not be instantaneous because of how the flail “rests” and deals it’s rapid-fire damage

###T0: Rusted Flail

“Ewww, my gloves are getting red…”

Damage: 60-85 (72.5)
Cooldown (Reel In Time): 2

###T1: Iron Flail

“This is heavy… I could hurt someone!”

Damage: 60-105 (82.5)
Cooldown (Reel In Time): 1.85

###T2: Quicksilver Flail

“It’s almost like liquid in my hands!”

Damage:: 75-110 (92.5)
Cooldown (Reel In Time): 1.7

###T3: Silver Flail

Oooo, shiny!

Damage: 75- 120 (97.5)
Cooldown (Reel In Time): 1.55

###T4: Golden Flail

Oooo, even shinier!

Damage: 90- 150 (120)
Cooldown (Reel In Time): 1.4

###T5: Flaming Flail

Hot hot hot!

Damage: 100-155 (127.5)
Cooldown (Reel In Time): 1.25

###T6: Dragonscale Flail

Dragon scales are sharp!

Damage: 115-175 (145)
Cooldown (Reel In Time): 1.1

###T7: Crystal Flail

I can see my hands!

Damage:145-200 (172.5)
Cooldown (Reel In Time): .95

###T8: Bloodied Flail

Try not to get stains on yourself!

Damage: 165-210 (187.5)
Cooldown (Reel In Time): .8

###T9: Entwood Flail

I turned the thing that killed me into a thing to kill it!

Damage: 195-250 (222.5)
Cooldown (Reel In Time): .65

###T10: Dragonheart Flail

They said a dragon’s heart is harder than diamond. So I made it into a weapon.

Damage: 235-265 (250)
Cooldown (Reel In Time): .5

###T11: Flail of Souls

I can still hear the screams…

Damage: 250-290 (270)

###T12: Ethereal Flail

It’s so light, it almost feels like it could fly away

Damage: 260-325 (287.5)

##Abilities
The Gauntlets launch the flail at full speed to anywhere on the screen, causing a modified bleed effect (armor piercing), as well as a slow to anything it hits while dealing a damage multiplier depending on what tier is being used. Using an ability causes the flailer to go to .5 of his speed, the flail rests where it was fired, dealing damage for 1 second before it is retracted, instead of the normal .5, and the cooldown for attacking is increased to 3 seconds for that shot. (5 for T5 and T6)

###T0: Aluminum Gauntlets

Keep the aliens away!

Damage Multi: 1.1
Bleed Duration and (damage per tick): 5s (20, total 100)
Slow Duration: 2s

###T1: Brass Gauntlets

Old and tarnished

Damage Multi: 1.2
Bleed Duration and (damage): 6s (25, total 125)
Slow Duration: 4

###T2: Golden Gauntlets

More shiny!

Damage Multi: 1.4
Bleed Duration and (damage): 7s (30, total 210)
Slow Duration:

###T3: Gauntlets of Strength

Even the name says they’re strong!

Damage Multi: 1.6
Bleed Duration and (damage): 8s (35, total 280)
Slow Duration:

###T4: Admantite Gauntlets

These even look powerful!

Damage Multi: 1.8
Bleed Duration and (damage): 9 ( 40, total 360)
Slow Duration:

###T5: Gauntlets of Darkness

It feels like I’m being dragged into the void…

Damage Multi: 2
Bleed Duration and (damage): 10s ( 45, total 450)
Slow Duration: 5s

###T6: Core Gauntlets

These are made from the core of the planet, burning with a powerful energy.

Damage Multi: 2
Bleed Duration and (damage): 12s ( 50, total 600)
Slow Duration: 5s

There you have it, my full idea for the Flailer, it’s rough around the edges and it NEEDS WORK!
If you have Any suggestions or comments, PLEEEEEEASE post them! I need all the input I can get.

Thank you all so much for reading to here, it means the world :heart:

#Edits
v1.01 Cleared up some text and modified how dex affects flails

I’m guessing that means he’s a Heavy Armor class, since it’s not indicated anymore. Weird for a glass cannon to have Heavy Armor with 30 Def.

That’s going to be the most annoying part. Using the Flailer is going to be flat out impossible in certain areas without Archers/Huntresses babysitting him, because attacking means enemies will instantly get on top of you and destroy you. Tomb (both the rush and the bosses) is going to be insanely annoying, especially with a piercing projectile that stays for a while on-screen.

That’s interesting, because that would make the Flailer the only class to practically never benefit from Berzerk, Dex Rings and Dex Tinctures.

Overall it’s a very interesting idea, but it feels like the Flail should be an Ability rather than the main means of attack. Nobody wants to use a Weapon that’s generally going to deal about Priest-tier DPS while giving you extremely reduced mobility.

Hah, like I said, this is definitely rough. My whole plan was to make a class that could deal a lot of damage in a burst, before needing a quick cooldown to attack again. Kinda like a dbow, but amplified.

Yeah, heavy armours, will fix that. The plan was to make him not tanky, but not light either, prolly around mid tier defense wise, relying on a deep health pool to survive.

I think I forgot to add a % symbol! His speed at max would be 7.36 TPS, and when reeling in, it would drop down to 5 TPS, making a Speed ring beneficial in those situations. If it is too harsh, I might raise it to 75% or 80%

Like I said, the idea is to have damage be in massive bursts, before a cooldown, a quarter of a second is a very short time. Dex rings and tincs would be effective at under max dex, and at that time you’d be looking for better rings. (HP, def, spd on occasion)

I do think one thing wasn’t made clear, the flail projectile would actually deal multiple hits to the same enemy, instead of a single hit dealing only a little bit, of damage, there would be a massive burst as it passes through the enemy’s hitbox and rests, dealing hundreds of damage in a short time span before a cooldown.

Thank you for the input! It helps me redesign the class and make it more efficent!

wat

Did you just design a portable Boulder, you ABSOLUTE MADMAN???

I don’t know if that would work too well though, given that damage calculations are done every .25 seconds and your Flail wouldn’t stay long enough on target to register more than one hit. But it’s a very cool idea nonetheless.

Fuck. Time to crunch some numbers and do some edits, I might make it so the flail itself follows the cursor (albiet slowly), as to track gods. Doing that could make the reel-in time longer, so the time between bursts can be extended.

Have you thought about maybe switching the ability and weapon? Gauntlets, fist weapons, and then a flail ability? That would allow the classes weapon to be used in other new classes too.

Adding a whole new weapon is out of the question, perhaps you should make the flail the ability and a sword or somthing the weapon b4 this gets locked

I doubt it’ll be locked just from this, as it’s a pretty developed idea.

Avoid ≠ prohibited. If it’s well thought out it’s still fun to imagine, even if it’s very unlikely they’ll be adding new classes of equipment anytime soon. Don’t be so harsh on each other. :couple_with_heart:

That is always an option! However, the class as is would need to be reworked from the ground up. All new backstory, sprites, stats, etc. The current build really is geared towards that style of, hit hard, back off, hit hard, back off, rinse and repeat. The flail in my eyes would be the best way to get that solution, forcing players to calculate their every shot to get that max DPS.

I’d rather have my idea shot down than have to compromise it! I spent a long time designing how the flail would actually function and be balanced, so it would be pretty pointless for me to do that. It fits a playstyle that would be unique to it’s own and would be massively fun to play!

Oooooooo, Doc! Lemme know what you think, it would be interesting to see your opinion!

oookay then, i’ll keep that in mind. I still think a new type of weapon is unlikely to be implemented, but to be perfectly honest, I actually like this idea. It would need some doing to rework how the damage would be registered, but it would mean a dramatically different playstyle. only place i can think of where this would actually be bad is trying to hit a chest in a large group, but people want deca to remove those anyway, so who cares?

Also i like how you pointed out that he’s old, like that’s a requirement XD

I’m a writer by trade, so I develop characters a lot. My whole plan for this was to develop a whole lore and backstory about the class. How the character was part of the 'Old War" such and such. it’s still in it’s infancy, so don’t expect anything, yet :wink:

Hey,Thats Pretty Good!

That’s a great class idea!!! I hope it’s made!

Lol, this made me giggle.

By the way you can make this more attractive and more fun to read if you used this to make the sprites.
:wink:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.