Coming Soon to an Academy Near You: "This Is How We Roll"

@Unicorn’s recent question in the “Statistical Analysis…” thread inspired me.

Edit (2019/01/10): Ignore the equation in this post, there’s an update below that simplifies things!

More soon, but here’s a teaser:

[Buckle your seatbelts, folks, OtherBill is getting mathy again! OB]

Stalking realmeyers

Yesss, I’ll actually try to make sense of this when you finish because I’m studying this stuff, I should probably learn how it works ;). Thanks OB!

OB I wish I was as smart as you

Math was never my strong suit…

This is like something I’d do when I have a test within a week’s time.
Hmmm, wait, hang on

what%20de%20fug

I was able to simplify things! This is getting pretty elegant!

p(h) and P(l,Δh) have some pretty easy lookup tables. The rest is easily spreadsheet-able.

Another teaser: @Unicorn's Question

If you want a ±0 HP roll at level 20, you should give up and reroll early if your HP drops below:

Level Roll
2 0
3 0
4 0
5 -1
6 -1
7 -1
8 -2
9 -2
10 -3
11 -3
12 -4
13 -4
14 -5
15 -5
16 -6
17 -6
18 -6
19 -5

(This is just the raw data. Analysis/explanation will come later.)

This is the only part I understood, since you can only gain +5 to your role per level ;-;

[Analysis/explanation will come later. OB]

What is that triangle for?

Triangle’s called “delta”, in math means “change in”. In this case “change in hp”, since we want to know how much the hp roll can be improved by at level 20.

Edit: @RAILGUNMAN
OB’s words:

Ah… Okay, thanks!!!

EDIT: Oh… I didn’t see that XD

in the first post i thought it was a dice roll lmao

Did you consider the fact that XP gained from killing a mob is capped at 10% of the total XP for the next level?

Kind of — that’s fairly orthogonal to what I’m diving into. More later.

I always think it’s kinda too theoretical to consider HP in isolation: if we take mana worth at (approx) 4:1 with life, and you are going 8/8, every -5 on your HP can be offset by a +20 in mana. Similar with rainbows, a good roll on other stats ameliorates a slightly bad HP roll. Or the opposite situation! and bad other stats drag down what looks like an okay/average roll.

This Is How We Roll: Decision-Making While Rolling

True, but if you’re going to 8/8 a character, Life pots will be the overwhelming expense, especially with Mana being as cheap as it is.

Regardless, I just threw up (-bleah!-) a bunch of posts about it over here: This Is How We Roll: Decision-Making While Rolling, so feel free to continue the conversation over there.