ConsoleMC’s Guide to NOT Being Hacked

#ConsoleMC’s Guide to NOT Being Hacked

NOTE: This guide is currently incomplete, as I have more planned for it. :slight_smile:

##Changelog

11/23/2016 Rough Draft for Guide. More to be added. ##Exposition

Help! I was hacked!

Please donate. I was hacked.

Whether those are true or not, it appears that there has been an increase in accounts being hacked. I made this guide in an attempt to point out some of the more obvious ways of being hacked, and how to prevent being the victim of account hacking.

##Viruses, Malware, Keyloggers, ETC.
This is a pretty simple topic. If you have viruses, _especially_ keyloggers, you _should_ get rid of it.

Most anti-virus softwares are capable of doing such. However, here are some key tips.

- Make sure your anti-virus software is a legitimate one. 
 - Don’t fall for those silly and annoying “Your Computer has 100+ Viruses” pop-ups. 
 - Don’t download anti-viruses from websites like CNet.com. People can randomly post applications there.
 - When you do find an anti-virus, make sure you download it from its developer’s website.

You can find a good anti-virus software from AV-Test, which can tell you some of the best anti-virus applications.

You may also opt for a second-opinion scanner, like HitmanPro, which is one of the best in my opinion.

##Adobe Flash Projector
The best possible platform for minimum lag, but it also has some disadvantages.

For example, if you leave your account logged in, someone can obtain the email and password.

How? By going to:

C:\Users\[USER NAME]\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects

C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\[Folder]\www.realmofthemadgod.com

You should see a file named RotMG.sol. By opening this file using NotePad, you can see that person’s username and password, assuming he/she hasn’t logged out.

Therefore, if you use Adobe Flash Projector to play, and you use someone else’s computer, don’t assume that just deleting the flash projector will remove your account. Actually log out so you can protect your account information.

##Don’t Fall for those Lame Scams.

You’re on the web, looking for some random RotMG content to look at, and then you see: “FREE ROTMG GOLD.” You click on it, and it prompts you for your email and password. Above, you see the Deca Logo.

No. This is essentially called phishing, or:

the activity of defrauding an online account holder of financial information by posing as a legitimate company.

First off, Deca has your account info – why do they need it again?

Don’t fall for those scams unless you want to see your account with nothing on it the next day.

#Use Different Passwords.
Okay, you’ve been given this advice since a long time ago. Maybe since the internet was born. _Always use different passwords._

The truth is, if someone found out your email and password, and you kept the same password for all of your accounts, before you know it, your RotMG account will be gone (assuming, of course, they care about RotMG), and vice versa.

##Change your Password Every 3-6 Months
This is pretty obvious. If you change your password frequently, hackers will have a harder time finding out what your password is.
##External Links.

Check Out @Bluenoser’s Guide http://bluenosersguide.weebly.com/what-if-you-have-been-hacked.html if you have already been hacked.

As @Shatter kindly told me (and me being stupid because I didn’t notice), here is OtherBill’s Guide (a lot more extensive than mine.

All my Characters are gone?
A Realmeye Christmas [CLOSED]

I think this covers just about everything

Don’t I feel stupid.

lol, destroyed instantly…

Gee, thanks…

:smile: :blush:

Another AMAZING program to use is called KeyPass

• Generate random passwords
  • Store them/save it (encrypted option)
  • Global auto type form (with keylog protection) for whatever requires a username and password
  • You only need to remember one password.

http://keepass.info/
I really recommend it, especially if you don’t like remembering a billion passwords!

If anyone wants a tutorial on how to use let me know.

seems interesting

All good advice!

Those who are intelligent enough to be literate are also intelligent enough to not get hacked, therefore a guide for this seems redundant.

You can also use passwords like this:
´≈åµπ¬eπaßs∑ø®d¡23¢
Its typing in a password with option/alt held down, insanely strong password.

If you can remember a combination of 20 numbers, then I think you are good. Just change a few things slightly if you ever do decide to use more than one password. Works well for me. (If you are a slow typer, then logging in could be a pain, so anything that takes you about 5-10 seconds will do.)

:scream: you gave us a hint on your pass

Good advice for not getting hacked!

Ifeel like If they added ip authorization i think a lot less people would get hacked. So basically when the server detects your account is logged in from a different location it wont let it in. The server would then send an email to verify the new ip.

@moderators please close unless you want to do something with it.

:slight_smile: :frowning:

Would really suggest that, especially if they have no idea how to type it in lol