Defense Rings Suck

Wearing a greater ring of defense is the classic mark of an Alpha male.

You wouldn’t understand.

i see what you did there

Some puns are just indefensible.

I remember when I was a blue star, I always thought having more defense was better than hp.

Even now I’m already an anti-HP fetishist
Breastplate overrated

That being said I think it might also have to do with halls addicts. HP is unquestionably better in Void imo and probably better for most of halls

the only way i can see defense rings ever being viable in the future is if they are able to ignore the minimum damage cap (15% of an attacks original damage i think). this would have to be exclusive to the rings so items like prot/juggernaut are not immediately extremely overpowered, but even then i think the case could be made that even just the def rings having that ability could be op

Actually def rings have 1 instance where they are more viable. Its when you are being hit with multiple shots at close to the 15% dmg cap. Best example that comes to mind would be in places like god lands or skull shrine/cube god. On a samuri you would take about 20 damage a shot which can stack quickly, however with ubdef it takes it down to 11 damage which a max legendary pet can actually keep up with. If your within 2-3 damage of the cap def ring is pointless and if your 25-30+ damage of cap it is also pointless. Its for those rare occasions when you have low-mid damage with a lot of projectiles.

The other time its useful is when your on a healing class because it reduces the rate at which you need to heal as well as gives your a longer window to heal. Also a lot of items now double defense so ubdef is now 18+ def ring. Not that you really need it when your armored but you find your self in that damage range explained above more frequently.

you are correct the only instance where it would be better is if you have a good 8/8 character and you have a bad pet then you might consider using def because you have to consider how much health your pet would be able to heal before the next shot comes in.

I agree that a defense ring will be useful in those rare cases but it only means that an HP ring is more a universal. Even if the defense ring is more effective in an instance of a barrage of attacks, a HP ring won’t do a terrible job at it either but if it was the other way around where you take a few attacks with big damage, you’ll not only find that the HP ring will be more useful but also the defense ring won’t help much at all.

They’re also greater

One freaking month later

Repeating the same comment doesn’t change my point of contention.

The debate of health versus defense has been a running conversation since the days of the Wild Shadow forums. Pets have since swiftly ended that conversation. When or if OoC hits production, the old battle will become a conversation again.

But glawi’s formula doesn’t take into account healing pets, yet hp still comes out on top…

I don’t care. I don’t have any other point that I want to get across other than that.

Sorry, I’m a bit confused. What exactly is IC/OoC?

In combat, out of combat

In combat/out of combat, a feature that was being tested by Deca a while back. To summarise, taking enough damage would put you in combat, largely nerfing the pet until you avoid damage for enough time to go out of combat, which is similar to the current pets and also doubles vit and wis regen I think.
Plus some other proposed buffs and nerfs to classes.

Wait this reminds me of in skyblock hypixel if you are in combat you can’t tp home. So if you are attacking you will not be fully healed. Right? That is my guess.

“In combat” in that context meant that you were hit (I think only projectiles that do >50 damage count) in the last 3 seconds

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.