Do you think the requirements for stars should be changed, and if so, to what?

I noticed that the thread started by @Yaddladdl called ‘What does a star mean to you?’ got quite a bit of interesting viewpoints. While I do not agree with all of them, I do find most of them equally interesting to read. That said…

It did sprung up a new question.

Are stars still relevant these days and if not; could, would or should DECA change them to reflect the current game? The game has changed quite a bit since the concept of stars got put in. It matured in a way that makes getting to 2k total fame seems, at least in my opinion, rather trivial.

So that question at hand is this; What could be changed to make stars feel like a thing to chase after. Something worthwhile, something that isn’t easy to get and would require knowledge and flexibility in RotMG.

Below is a shameless copy of a post of mine in the earlier mentioned thread.

As I mentioned these are just some quick ideas I came up with and would most definitely require fine-tuning. I did however try to mostly keep it easy to implement by basing most requirements of the current achievements (with a slight extension for the kills and dungeon section).

Please tell me what you think of my ideas & give me yours.
Debate away!

I think that they’re fine as they are currently. No one really cares about stars unless you’re white star or light blue / blue and changing the system at this point might make some white / yellow stars angry. However, it might be interesting to implement a new system instead of completely changing the current star system.

[quote=“Aserilith, post:2, topic:21021, full:true”]
No one really cares about stars unless you’re white star or light blue / blue and changing the system at this point might make some white / yellow stars angry.[/quote]

So, does no one really care or do they care enough to be angry?

Aren’t you contradicting yourself here? How are they fine if no one really cares about them?

That might be an idea but in my opinion it would make it needlessly complicated to add in a second system.

As in white stars seem kind of more experienced and light blue stars seem noobish. I was also saying that yellow and white stars might care more about a star change because they spent a lot of time to get the star that they have.

I don’t feel as if a star change would be the biggest priority for Deca right now and probably isn’t something that a lot of people would feel is necessary.

I guess, but it might prevent some backlash from the community.

A valid point.

That’s exactly what I’m talking about. Nowadays, white stars do not seem more experienced. Anything above red star doesn’t really give any more idea about a players know how of the game.
You might be right that the current yellow and white stars might not be completely for a change because however you toss or turn it, they did spent (at least some) time to get it.

That said… I do truly believe that spending time to get something that is inherently useless, thanks to changes, would always feel like less of an accomplishment than spending (more) time to get something that actually holds some value when you see it. Wouldn’t you agree?

Stars always have and always will reflect the fame a player has obtained across classes. I don’t think such a fundamental indicator of progression should be changed just because players are getting better overall, like in all games. Instead, the community should learn to reflect and adjust their views on what they think stars actually indicate.

In general, I agree with you that DECA should add more viewable stats and achievements into the game - in the meantime, Realmeye.com and muledump are excellent resources.

I think the more obvious and easier to implement idea is to make fame harder to get. The only reason anyone can become a white star in like a week is because of fame trains

Personally I think some of these requirements are pretty unrealistic, like the first star and the fifth star would basically only be commonly achieved by fame trainers and so a lot of new players would end up as light blue stars probably for the entire time they play the game.

I like the simplicity of the 20-150-400-800-2000 progression. Whatever the requirements are to rank up in star players will aim for that behaviour. If some of the stars were only rewarded for example for god-kill targets, this would only increase godlands training as players would be stuck “needing” this to earn the higher star.

Keeping it tied to pure fame allows players the freedom to earn the fame however they like (solo, train, LH, shats, godlands or dungeons, stacking fame bonuses and dying on purpose or staying alive to hit the target with base fame etc etc).

Part of the reason that there has been stagnation is that the game has remained with its 14 classes for 5 years now. If Kabam+Deca had continued adding classes at the same rate as WS originally brought them in (~3 new per year), we’d be wayyyyy up on about 30 classes (150 stars!!) by now.

Sure, if they do something with stars that’d be neat I guess.

The situation is a bit complex. Let me break it in multiple parts.

First, the quests in themselves seem good to me. Excluding the case where the player fametrains, the fames are a good way of mesuring how good a player is at a certain class. The scale of fames compared to class quests seems good for me, as long as the person doesn’t mindlessly fametrain to get these stars. They are also a good way to see what classes you have played the least, or what classes you still need to get better at.

The stars in themselves could be a good thing too, once again if it wasn’t for the fametraining. The different colours could well indicate how good and experienced a player is. The only sad part is that nowadays, about half, if not more, of the white stars are just people who fametrained a lot and didn’t really learn to play the game properly. Apart from that, they’re pretty well balanced.

The main problem is with what is usually called “starcism”. Basicly it’s the fact that many players in rotmg hate players with blue and light blue stars, or even red stars for some reason. Considering what I’ve said previously, it should be normal to think that if they’re low stars, they’re bad players, right? Not really.
Every player is different, so they’ll have different ways of playing rotmg. The problem with the current star system is that it makes certain types of players lower, while it works perfectly for other players. Here is what I gathered with my 4 years of rotmg :

• Light blue stars : new players, still discovering the game, or alternative accounts (aka mules, alts). Very rarely, what I called focused players (will explain that more in details just after).

• Dark blue stars : still new players, but with a little bit more experience in rotmg. They’re still learning the game. They can sometimes also be alts. A big part of these players are focused players : what I mean by that is that these are players that play a very restricted amount of classes. They’ll be getting better at the said classes, but their star counter will increase way slower, or not at all.

• Red stars and yellow stars : these players have played more rotmg, they’ve become more attuned to the game and often have mastered one or two classes.

• Yellow and white stars : as I’ve said, there are two types, with the first one being the most present : fame trainers and old players. The first ones usually have the same amount of skill and experience as a blue-red star player, while the second ones really are part of the best players and most experienced players of the realm.

This is my view of the star system. The only problem I’ve got with it is that it rates the player’s ability to survive with all classes, but leaves at low rank the players we could call one-trick ponies, even if they’re really great at their class and have insane knowledge about rotmg.

What I thought about to make these stars more worthwhile is making them a bit harder to get : what I mean is, we could leave the 2 first stars be, but give the 3 last stars of each class an additionnal maxing challenge. For example, the 3rd star could be : get 400 fames and 2/8 a character.

Thanks for reading if you did, don’t hesitate to give me your impression about the current stars meaning.

But what if you only played a certain class for X amount of years? :sunglasses:

^That was me for a few years :3 only played Knightttt, good times

I like the idea of having to pot a character to a certain extent to get the next star because then it’d be less accessible to trainers

Had Doer of Deeds on some chars, but never got the advanced Team Player one. I like the concept but please stay away with that Party Member level up sht. :smiley:

Only fame is not a good concept to show what stars should show - Expierience.
Tbh I totally prefer the way you offered, Even doe Event Boss kill is a little harsh. The event boss kill would become an empty server hunt to get lucky that your Mates don’t lasthit it i’d say. I would even prefer if the 5th star was a bonus to the other 4 ones. Like Master all other stars at once (Death 2k fame included…? Not sure).

I think requirements for stars should be changed or fame farming should be (drags finger across neck)

#####Fame should come from defeating dungeon bosses and should be awarded to only a certain number of players.

So what you mean is that there should be a sb damage and fame damage, or something like that? I don’t know about this, but I really love the idea that you could get fames from dungeon bosses and such, it makes way more sense than godland farming.

Then you’d be the exception I talked about : probably a great player, but doesn’t really know much on how to play other classes.

I was like that for quite a bit too, I only played archer and huntress for a whiiiile x)
I’ve started playing and trying every class about 1 year ago, and I’m still discovering awesome playstyles, while slowly gaining stars.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.