Game crashing MacBook Pro

Here are my specs out of the way:

-MacBook Pro: 13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
-Processor: 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
-Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB
-Memory: 32 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X
-MacOS: Sonoma 14.2.1

Where I play: Steam

Issue: The game starts up and runs very smoothly for around 5 minutes before freezing up everything except my cursor and eventually crashing the entire computer. Before this happens it is all working fine and i can tab out, but once it reaches whatever limit it has I can no longer tab or do anything except wiggle my cursor until the crash happens. I have googled quite a bit about this and have only come across one other person with this issue but there was never a solution posted

I play on Mac. I now mostly play on a 2020 MacBook Air M1, but occasionally on a 2012 Core i5 dual core Mac mini. The MacBook has much better performance.

The MacBook Air has 8GB of RAM, the mini 16GB. Both have integrated graphics, the MacBook Air from the M1 the mini from Intel. Your specs are much better than my mini, comparable to my M1 Mac, except for RAM where you’ve far more. So it should easily run the game, for hours if you want.

What would I look at?

Try “Remove Build” from the popup in top left corner of the launcher. I don’t think it’s that sort of problem but it’s worth a try

Post the crash log. Just the bit where it crashed if you can identify it, but if you can’t post the whole thing. It’s just text so you can post it here.

I do have problems playing on the built in display of my MacBook Air. It has far worse frame rate and some scaling issues. I now only play when into an external display. It didn’t cause crashes though, and I suspect the performance was partly due to it not being a native app, so running in Rosetta the x86 emulator.

Thanks for the reply! The “Remove Build” did actually seem to work for me for awhile. I switched back over to my pc for a bit and have just tried to play again on the Macbook Pro and we are back to it crashing the entire laptop. I cannot post a log because it freezes it all up and then i need to log back into the computer. Unsure where those logs might be

The crash log I was thinking of is the one it shows when an app crashes. It sometimes also shows one when the Mac restarts after a crash but that may depend on the Mac type.

Logs are accessible through the Console.app. You can find this in Applications/Utilities but it’s pretty hard to find things in there due to the volume of logs produced. Perhaps try looking in there immediately after a restart for a recent Crash Report or Spin Report.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.