Give Ray Katana A Buff!

Hey, I’m here with an idea that many have come up with before me, buff Ray Katana, my buff gives it +5 def +5 speed +20 HP +5 MP. The damage has been increased to 135-178 with a huge 110 percent rate of fire. This may be crazy BUT I think we could lower drop rates or something like that, but as you look at my DPS chart it is only better than doku’s DPS when the enemy has more than 15 def. This may seem overpowered but… the true range has been nerfed to 4.5 which is small compared to doku’s 5.2 which is why I added the +20 HP and +5 def to make it still playable! The speed is so that with less range you can still get in and out before you get beat up too badly. The MP is just a little easter egg to make the item more likable and to fuel the speedy buff! This is just the start of the idea, please no hate, suggestions welcome! ( charts below )

Edit 1: No attack buff

Deca has to buff ray katana

this is even more overpowered than my version of a buffed ray katana here.
the dps output differences between this and doku are negligible, and this has +5 atk +5 def and +5 spd. this actually gives you more def than pyra and expo. while i do think that attempting a different approach to ray katana other than the niche it tried to fill is interesting, this has even more ‘doku syndrome’ than doku does.

don’t take this as a large paragraph of hate, but this is very very very op. in the future it might be safer to compare this to masamune instead of doku

Ok, thanks for the feedback, what should I nerf on it? I mean I can kill the attack possibly…

This is obviously a bit OP.
Personally, if I were buffing Ray Katana, I would buff the damage to 135-215 (+40 damage per shot), but remove Piercing.

It is meant to be a good item, I suggested to heavily decrease the drop rate, and the stat bonuses are more even because of my range decrease, though I do see your point. :slight_smile:

I get what you’re going for, too, but I personally would like the whole idea of a longer range Katana to still be there.

I actually used Ray a lot in Shatters while unpotted, simply because I enjoyed how safe I felt. I felt like an Archer, but faster and with more DPS.

Nonetheless, I support decreasing the droprate to the droprate of the other event UT’s.

rarity alone is a terrible patch for op-ness, it only makes people angrier when they can’t get it and when others do

I can work on that, what do you think it’s DPS should be? I can increase the range to 6.5/7? (true range)

I think that changing the damage to 100-140, increasing the RoF to 120%, keeping the current range of 6.12 tiles, and removing Piercing would work.
I’d also remove the Defense, Attack, and HP buffs from it. Those seem pretty OP, even for a ring. The MP and Speed buffs are fine though; they encourage the Speedy buff, as you said.
While we’re at it, we may as well nerf Doku. Simply changing the RoF to 150% and changing the damage to 100-125 would work.

k :slight_smile: We can do that

Give tiered Katanas more DPS than tiered swords, buff Ray Katana’s range to that of a staff, and bam, you have a competent class and a viable UT.

so i didnt read the other comments on this, but

why are you decreasing the range? You are basically changing the wewapon completely rn. You are making just a better and more viable masumune. If masamune it would be basically this except without the stat buff.

Ray katana is meant as a long range weapon, i agree that it could use a buff, but a slight buff, not a total rework, or massive dps increase like Xaklor’s.

I don’t think buffing it meant taking away its main feature, instead make it a unique item in itself like no other katana. I think the damage range should be 95-135, the range should be buffed by .5, should Armor Pierce, should be wavy like Etherite/Spirit, and shouldn’t pierce enemies. A unique weapon without reworking the entire thing, also loving your desc and my buff would fit perfectly.

you said without reworking the entire thing, but your was a pretty big rework. I think just a plain dmg boost is good. and why is everyone using armor break so commonly, lots of ideas are using this status effect like crazy

ehh havent gotten a like from toasty since he stopped spamming likes

How to rebalance Katanas:

-Bring back old Celestial Blade

-Keep Ray as is

-Make Doku shoot 2 projectiles at once and turn it into some sort of Cbow/Dblade hybrid.

i like that, i always was in favour of a super slight buff for ray, but no buff is fine by me, b/c ninajs arent meant to be long range. Doku change is nice. And celestial blade is good too. Isnt clestial blade kinda like dblade, and if doku shoots 2 projectiles, wont they be too similar.

Old Celestial Blade only shot one projectile at once and didn’t pierce through enemies. What I’m suggesting for Doku is to make it a sort of sawed-off Cbow (and of course have the damage per projectile decrease accordingly).

Oh ok, that sounds like a good idea!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.