Losing soulbound when an enemy heals?

That line of code only gives a percentage threshold, but it says nothing about percentage of what it is referring to. So the question of wether soulbound thresholds are based on total health of the monster or total damage received by the monster remains.

I’m not saying it’s one or the other, all I’m saying is that, from what I’ve seen from the code (like the line you presented), I can’t know.

And that makes sense, no need to make things complicated. But still, I’m not satisfied with the answer, the facts that Mrunibro asserted that soulbound damage is based on total damage dealt to the enemy and that a recent video testing “showed” otherwise only makes thing more confusing.

As an engineer and scientist, I don’t like not having or not providing sources when I say things like this. I just kinda of rely on my own reputation, which likely isn’t worth anything these days since I assume most players don’t know and rightly shouldn’t care who I am.

I don’t expect anyone to be. I can’t, and for some details, won’t, provide sources when it comes to this, which already makes me feel uncomfortable, but I feel that I’m obligated to at least share what I can (within reason) since I’ll soon be coming up my sixth year of involvement in this community and, as such, have built up quite a historical knowledge base of the game.

Since the Pentaract itself never dies, though the towers respawn, your SB record would be maintained until the encounter dies.

Thanks for the detailed response about Pentaract and the towers. I was aware of some of that, but to my knowledge doing damage on one tower and then letting that tower respawn will never give you loot from that tower (at least, it never happened to me). I also know that you can’t get loot from pentaract tower corpse if you didn’t shoot the corresponding pentaract tower, so there is no point to check spots which you didn’t shoot at all. Do you have any video evidence of getting loot from the pentaract tower which respawned, without damaging the respawned one?

No. GHZD made a video on it, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stkPMK3kUN0

</3

@Lovens I quite agree with you, hence my hatred for those will kill the towers when I’m still weakening them lol.

I would love to test this out, having one person kill all the towers (without defeating the pentaract) and sit on the bleachers while a friend finishes it off.

If I ever find you on in the middle of the night for US servers, let’s spawn some events:3

@Fweftjfhjs No you, I posted that video many replies before you did. And it doesn’t answer the nuances of our questions, read everything before you decide to do a two word interjection.

Look above

It is what it is. The game left me behind, and I was too stubborn to try and keep up. But that’s enough about that; this has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

it doesn’t affect!

How do I know? Well I tested it, I was gonna upload the video, but never got around to it, I used lord ruth

fuck I should’ve uploaded it before GZHD, I had it recorded a few months ago

Please do, see the discussion on the topic of how GHZD’s video might be inconclusive.

ok, ill try to get it up in the next few days

What’s your youtubes? I want to see this! Edit: Found it on your profile. Sorry for the unneeded message.

You know scorch is angry when. XD

OK so you have the same conclusion as GHZD, when you post your video I will mark you like my retarded Chem teacher for procedure.

@scorchmist ok I’ll watch when I get home tonight

lol no, i say “fck” a lot, but this time i just felt like adding in the u

uhhh ill try to edit the vid tonight…hate editing…

edit:

@Uniqourn and @Werbenja

tada! here it is! i probably messed up my editing somewhere, but who really cares.

Thanks for the video, Scorch.

But your video suffers from the same problem GHZD’s suffers. You did, as you said in the begining of the video, 50% of Ruthven’s HP worth of damage and then let him heal to full HP, so you did ~33% percent of the total damage dealt to Ruthven, the other ~67% being provided by your pet. If the soulbound threshold is a percentage of max HP, then your 50% is most definitely over the threshold. But you’re also most likely over the threshold if it is a percentage of total damage dealt, as 33% is still much higher than most thresholds we know about.

It all stems from the fact that max HP and total damage dealt are not the same when talking about an enemy that can be healed.

im not sure if i understand what you are saying?

So your saying that the sb threshold could either be

• percentage of max hp
  • total damage dealt

and your saying that the test would’ve went over both of them? So it would be a test to determine which it was? So then you would have to have your sb dmg reached for one of the two. To do that you have to find the sb dmg needed for ruth?

Did i understand that right?

Since total dmg done = means heals don’t affect sb
percentage of Max hp = means it does affect sb?

thats intesting, i always thought of it as total dmg vs. percentage of current max hp. I never thought about percentage of max hp.

Also for the vid i did not prep, i was actually going in to find the sb dmg threshold (actually was looking for snakes for my snake vid) but figured that was kinda hard and how i needed to do this video first.

Also, BTW, technically those numbers are changed a bit since i healed him a bit while i was damaging him.

conclusion: if i understood right, then i would need to find the sb threshold first?

Yes, you understood me, but…

You mixed those two up, it’s the other way around.
If the threshold is a percentage of:

• max HP, then heals do not affect soulbound damage, as max HP is constant and so are percentages of it;
  • total damage dealt, then heals can affect soulbound damage, as total damage dealt is dependent on how much an enemy heals.

By the way,

What even is “current max hp”? By max HP I mean the HP an enemy has at the begining of the fight and the most HP it can have at all times. As I said before, it is constant.

And yes, the numbers are not exactly what I said since Ruthven was healed a little while your pet was damaging him.

Precisely. Ideally you would need to that without letting him heal at all, as then max HP = damage dealt. But I understand it would be really hard letting your pet kill him without letting him hit you. At least with electric, attack far/mid/close might give you an easier time. That’s why testing on Bilgewatter might be easier, as he always drops loot for at least two players, so we could use another person to finish the fight. But we can’t not let Bilgewater heal, so there’s that.

IF you can find the threshold without letting Ruthven heal (let’s say it’s x%), then all you need to do is, in a final fight, deal (x+ε)% with ε being small, let him heal enough (let’s say he heals y%) so as to make the percent of total damage you did be less than the threshold, i.e. (x+ε)/(100+y)<x, and let your pet finish the fight. If you get loot, the threshold is based on total HP and if you don’t, it’s based on damage dealt. Of course, in reality, you won’t find x exactly, just upper and lower bounds for it (like you did in your testing videos), but the above reasoning works the same if you use the upper bound instead of x itself.

Let me know if I complicated things too much again.

Also, if you do all this, you’ll be my hero.

I was literally just wondering this today.

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere among the 54 responses, but Doc has replied to one of my old threads regarding the same thing. He/she said “yes.” The dmg you’ve already done won’t be taken away.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.