Merching topics

Everyone being those who are also NOT intended to merch.

Yep

Was a rude term of definition.

At least two tongue-in-cheek scientific studies have been conducted on the subject, each of which concluded that apples can be compared with oranges fairly easily and on a low budget and the two fruits are quite similar.

The first study, conducted by Scott A. Sandford of the NASA Ames Research Center, used infrared spectroscopy to analyze both apples and oranges. The study, which was published in the satirical science magazine Annals of Improbable Research, concluded: "[…] the comparing apples and oranges defense should no longer be considered valid.

There shouldn’t ever be a set price. There is another principle of merching, and that is sell for what YOU want. Not saying ur getting a buyer anyday soon.

What’s wrong with merching? :cry:

“not intended to merch”??? So now we have a list of people who are not authorized to merch???

In English, please.

You’re really trying to sink your own ship at this point.

So there’s no problem then. People aren’t being ripped off, they’re just selling and buying at the price they want.

We get that you’re trying to somehow translate every counter-argument to “DIS RIPPING PEOPLE OFF”. You haven’t explained why ripping people off is wrong though, especially if both people in a deal are satisfied.

Is it wrong because there is a god in the sky watching over all of us and the economy, selecting people who go to hell based on how much they buy and sell items for relative to god’s self-opinionated market prices?

Or is it wrong because you have the need to loudly voice special snowflake opinions in every thread?

Nothing, I just don’t want people to talk about it. Specifically making merching guides or price guides

tsk tsk I mean people who initially DID NOT WANT TO MERCH

In Arabic please

The problem is often times one end of the trade is being ripped off, sure you can say it was agreed, but in rude terms it counts as ripping off.

It’s neither your job nor your right to dictate what others can and cannot talk about.

A guide discussing “how to get rich through merching” is a perfectly valid guide, as that is how some people choose to play this game. (Personally, I’d rather go out into the realms and pew-pew at enemies…the game isn’t called Realm Of The Mad Merchant, after all. Still, that is not the only valid way to play.)

However, I do agree that there is no compelling reason to create price guides these days, especially now that RealmEye has that oh-so-convenient trading area. Look at the buying offers, look at the selling offers, discard the obvious trolls and statistical outliers, take the median between the two, and BOOM, there’s your fair price.

If you think you’re getting ripped off, don’t accept the trade. End of story. Nobody is forcing you to click that “Accept” button. I’ll often overpay or undersell just to make a quick deal—that’s not me getting ripped off, that’s me not wanting spend hours in the nexus trying to make a trade at a more advantageous price.

But that is your job… which is why this is forum feedback

Ok, Ok, you got me in this worm hole again. But wouldn’t you think this might ruin the world for some merchers? Most people to trade with merchers just don’t know how much things are worth, and thus if those people who would’ve traded with them read it, they would know better. It may seem confusing who am I defending? I will say this frank: I am not against merching in any way. I am not against playing in the realm in any way (duh). But I am against the creation of dictations that cause divine references, guides that make newer players say “But the guide says…” because it may lead to a catastrophic event (if you want details about this send me a private message).

There are people who don’t know they are getting ripped off. This is where the bulk of a mercher’s wealth comes from. I’m not here to get rid or boost this specifically.

Then say “those who did not intend to merch”.

This isn’t an Arabic forum and you’re honestly not worth the time.

So basically, it only counts as ripping off because you said so? I don’t think that’s a very compelling argument to justify censorship of the forums.

This forum is supposed to be as inclusive as possible. The mods are not going to exclude a whole portion of the RotMG player base just because you don’t like them.

So now you want to keep information out of the public’s view to make “ripping off” people easier? Kind of a huge self-contradiction there.

… which is why you want to dictate to people what they can and cannot post?

Slippery slope fallacy.

I agree with everything you said, but [quote=“RMGnoob, post:29, topic:6363”]
Slippery slope fallacy.
[/quote]

is technically false. Slippery slope fallacy is when you state that one thing MUST come after another, he’s saying that it only MAY lead to an event. Which is actually not a fallacy. Again, his argument sucks and I disagree with him in all ways, shapes, and forms, but just thought I’d point that out.

There is certainly no need for multiple topics if they were all saying the same question “Please help me merch” - those could all be merged into 1 thread.

But if each topic has a different question, or talks about a different aspect, or players offering assistance to other players, then it’s fine for them to be posted.

Trading has been a part of the game since basically forever, and it is natural that players want to talk about it. Merching is one aspect of trading. I personally find these threads to be a waste of my time, I have no interest in someone telling me that they spent 1 hour/day/month selling X for Y then Y for Z then Z for 2X, so I don’t read these threads, and leave it for others who are interested in that part of the game.

I think you’re talking about the Common ideas to avoid, which specifically refers to threads in the Ideas forum. That list is things that are recommended not worth people making a “new Idea” about. Because in most cases the forum users just got sick of seeing every week “Can we get PvP into Rotmg?”-type waste of time threads.

Certainly there is no point anyone posting an Idea about merching, but there is no need to put merching on the list, because nobody is ever making idea threads about merching.

I think you fundamentally misunderstand the scope of our duties.

It’s an issue of relevance and appropriateness. Topics about merching are both.

this is the dumbest thing ive read in my entire life
realm of the mad merchant is meant to be rip off and success
if you get ripped off thats just your fault cause you were too dumb to realize what was going on
k

So ripping of less intelligent people is okay?

Hardly, if you get ripped off that means you aren’t familiar with trading in any sense.

You can’t “rip someone off” if there’s no absolute price of items, and there isn’t. Different items are worth different amounts to different people. Your argument assumes that there is a “true price” that merchers are deviating from, if this was true you would easily be able to tell that it’s not a fair trade by checking your divine value chart sent from the holy economic gods of commerce.

Too bad the gods are capitalists :wink:

People “playing the system” are actually keeping the system alive.

Which is kinda a side reason I don’t want the creation of price guides

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.