Metagods

So someone’s uploaded a video with a pretty good look at this. Did think of posting it to Reddit but it would suffer the fate of my two previous posts there and vanish after a few days, and I think this is worth discussing and keeping track of.

Superficially this looks like ROTMG but it’s so primitive. So much is missing that it’s easier to describe what’s there.

First it’s entirely 2D. The 3D walls are painted onto the background to look like 3D, but you can’t go behind them and be occluded by them. The levels shown seem to be the same each time, and are very similar in layout, design, with just different coloured floors to tell them apart.

And they are all small – all three might have as much content as a small RotMG dungeon like Snake Pit or Sprite World, except those have more variety in enemy types and backgrounds.

There are three classes, basically melee, bow and staff classes. No choice beyond that, no choice of weapon or other gear. Which class you use determines your weapon and that’s it as there’s no ability, no evidence of other item such as armour, no indication of any variation in stats. Speed seems to be the same for all classes, there’s no healing so no VIT, no ability so no WIS, etc.

HP seems to work more like ‘you can take so many hits’ than a total that different hits take different amounts of, i.e. much simpler, especially without healing.

Only one weapon per class, and they seem to be drawn with simple shapes rather than from loaded textures. The bosses do have textures for their shots, but only one each it looks like. And their shot patterns would hardly challenge anyone used to RotMG.

Ohe thing it does to that RotMG mostly doesn’t is have a timer and so time limit, which you shoot enemies to add to. But that only makes sense as the gameplay is single player. It would be hard to balance if there were multiple players.

Despite them showing actual content I still think this is scam, for many reasons

• The content shown is so small, like something someone put together in a weekend, hardly enough to sustain an actual game.
  • It has its own currency $MGOD
  • Staking
  • The roadmap
  • Gleam
  • Totally anonymous creators, using pseudonyms on e.g. Reddit

The last four points seem to be a common feature of many crypto scams.

Having their own currency means they can create as much as they need out of thin air, then make it so it’s the only way to buy the NFTs of whatever they’re selling. There’s no need to do this: when Ubisoft added NFTs to Ghost Recon they used an existing currency. There are so many currencies out there, there’s always one you could use. But instead they go to the trouble of making a new one, to ensure anyone who participates has to pay them.

Staking is an especially shady activity where they promise high returns if you ‘stake’, i.e. deposit crypto with them. but it’s a fraud: they can do it as they can just create money out of thin air, it being their own currency. So it cost them nothing but they get to keep your crypto, and can vanish with it when they are ready.

The roadmap like many crypto/NFTs looks nothing like any normal game. It has the engine preview, which the above video is part of, and a vague release date which has already slipped. But the distinguishing thing is how much money they take before they even preview the game. They are asking people to buy into the currency, buy NFTs before the game is ready, before there’s any indication how they will work in the game. Again, taking money before the game is ready lets them vanish without completing the game.

They’re not spending money on advertising. Instead they’re asking people to promote the game for them, using Gleam to get people to spam their own twitter and other social media. E.g.

https://twitter.com/PlayMetaGods/status/1484122446676598786

Finally anonymity, together with the anonymous nature of crypto, means they can vanish without consequence whenever they want. They can walk off with the currency used to buy $MGOD and NFTs, and let those collapse in value. Even if they were not anonymous there’s little anyone could do as that’s just how crypto works.

Here’s my first post on this on Reddit, a repost of them shamelessly using a screenshot from RotMG, overlaid with crude and badly composed graphics, none of which appear in their actual game preview.

Bis jetzt 93 Votes und 25 Kommentare auf Reddit

Also via the excellent Web3 is going great here’s an example of a Rug Pull, where someone promised a game, sold lots of NFTs, then vanished about 7 weeks ago.

https://twitter.com/BnbHeroes

Compare it to the official Metagods twitter, which looks very similar with the same focus on the currency, NFTs, and hype with very little about the actual game

https://twitter.com/PlayMetaGods

Another video review by a Thai couple. This seems to show a newer build; there’'s a UI for choosing your avatar, and a world map which sort of is used to choose the boss battle. Also there’s a barrier over the exit when you’re fighting the boss. They’re also a little more competent than the first reviewer.

I don’t know if this is new but I’ve just noticed it. You play centred but the game moves you forward before it moves the map, i.e. there’s a lag. This is nice and dynamic but also means you walk into things very easily when they enter from the top edge. I.e. it’s bad design, especially when you seem unable to regain lost health.

https://twitter.com/PlayMetaGods/status/1496095369994080259

So they’re adding land sales. The caption in the tweeted video says: Benefit of real ownership, earning real income, within the metaverse

There are so many problems with that though. First they still don’t have a game, just three 30 second ‘boss’ battles, three simple classes. They’ve shown drawings of a map but it’s not in the game as far as I can tell. Once again they are selling stuff that doesn’t exist, might never exist.

Second: WTF? This is not some Second Life style game where people use land for development, to build their mansion, to show off their assets, to run a business. This is a ROTMG rip off, nothing like Second Life.

Third: the only way to earn “real” money in a game like this is off other players. Which goes against the whole point of free to play. Or if you pay in a free to play game it’s for tangible benefits, not just to a bunch of whales who got there before you and got title deed on the game world.

Fourth: “metaverse”, which is still a fantasy likely decades off if it happens at all. Not even Facebook, or Epic, are pretending they’re close to making one. It’s certainly not going to happen within an unfinished pixel-art game.

You wouldn’t understand. It’s a pa$$ion project.

The only thing I liked about this demo is the main menu style. This seems totally shady otherwise.

LOL. I understand it very well. As I outlined in my 2nd post I’ve seen so many of these and they use almost identical tactics, designed to sell as many NFTs and as much currency as they can before they inevitably rug-pull and disappear.

One worth highlighting is Metawars as it seems to be made by the same people. I think they started on Metawars, realised it wasn’t really a game, so started on Metagods, shamelessly ripping off RotMG to ensure there was an actual game (though one they have no intention of delivering).

https://twitter.com/MetaWarsNFT

https://metawars.gg

It’s actually easier to highlight non-scams as there are so few. Kongregate is one that’s not a scam. They seem to be genuinely trying to make a go of it. Of course they’re getting nowhere with it as there’s nothing valuable they can do with NFTs.

I’m not doing this to persuade anyone as I don’t think any gamer would be fooled by this. We know the difference between a game that delivers and one that doesn’t, and know to hold off spending money until you’re sure it’s worth it.

I think these exist to attract speculators. Their flashy websites and hyperactive Twitter feeds exist to draw in new cryptocurrency investors looking for something to invest in. Things like staking, APY, “earning real income” are designed to appeal to investors not gamers.

Land sale details, and it’s as bad as I thought it would be.

https://medium.com/@PlayMetaGods/introducing-metagods-land-sale-own-the-land-keep-the-loot-e8415da983a6

So it’s like RotMG, with permadeath, except when you die your “legendary” gear goes to the people who have bought land in the dungeon you die in. And they can then sell it back to you as it’s tradable. For real money, or at least what passes for real money in this ‘game’.

So, yes, you can imagine if this happened in RotMG: when you die instead of your gear vanishing it’s given to someone who’s paid money, along with others, to get all the loot that players have when they die. Which they then can sell back to you. Wouldn’t that just totally suck?

Even worse if items don’t disappear when you die, and can all be bought and sold, you rapidly get deflation as more and more of the items drop/are forged/whatever but never leave the game. Gear stops being special if you can never really lose it.

This highlights one other thing which has not been mentioned much. Everything is an NFT in their game, everything is tradable. There’s no soulbound as everything can be bought and sold. Even chars so they aren’t special either.

This only makes sense as the game is effectively a platform to trade NFTs. The gameplace mechanics are secondary, an afterthought even. Or the gameplay consists of things like this land sale, a rent extraction mechanism bolted on top which corrupts the idea of permadeath and probably will break the economy.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.