Microsoft killed my game

My Windows 10 did an update (right in the middle of playing, I was very lucky my character did not die - it got to double figure HP before I managed to close the window), and ever since RotMG has been unplayable. Even in Nexus I have severe control lag and occasional freezes. Obviously I am still logging in for the daily rewards in the hope that it will magically get better one day…

Yeah, so this is a bit of a whine. But also a warning… be careful of updates…

Getting terrible lag on usnw and other servers

Open in Internet Explorer. They recently did an update to Edge, but I really recommend playing on chrome/steam/flash.

I’m really curious how you play. If an MS update did cause this, other players may be having the same problems. I’m sure we’d all like to get to the bottom of that.

Is your computer lagging at other things too?
Have you restarted it?

It’s a problem with Edge, just play on Internet Explorer

you can do a system restore to revert the update. I believe that windows automatically sets up restore points for every update.

Just tried playing on Firefox - hell that was speedy!

Yes, it is just Edge that is the problem. Thanks for your help all :slight_smile:

Yeah Firefox is where it’s at.

Even though I switched to flash player 25 and it’s all good.

Even then the Steam platform has the least amount of lag even on highest quality - I don’t understand it.

Be sure to do ctrl + to zoom in your screen and make your game bigger (133% is nice).

note: anyone using win7-win8/8.1 may experience similar issues (stay on top pop-up window notifying you of an update -_-)

there’s a similar thread somewhere from a couple weeks ago, in which the OP addresses the same issue

happened to me, too

unfortunately, the only current fix is to manually tweak some settings, and there are a couple ways to go on about this

1. reg edit
  2. local group policy editor
    ^i’ll provide a link to save myself from typing, and just for your sake (it should be easier to read with better use of punctuation and such hehe)
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

and, the one i currently use, because i regularly maintain my comp, so any changes i make to my registry inadvertently revert back to its original state
3. task scheduler - this one’s cool, because it only takes seconds, so if you can stop a forced restart in its track last min
-all you do is go to start > all programs > win admin tools > task scheduler
-now, navigate to and locate the following: task scheduler lib > microsoft > windows > Update orchestrator
click this, and the details panel on top-center should have Reboot somewhere among the list of items with Ready as its status
right click REBOOT, and click DISABLE
and, you’re done

unfortunately, windows will still be a sneaky bastard and re-enable it, so keep your eye on it

yea, really inconvenient, right…? well, windows recently finally acknowledged what important work can be interrupted, unsaved from these forced updates, so they unveiled Windows 10 Creators Update, where instead of forcing an update&restart, they force an in-your-face pop-up window that won’t go away until you choose an option xD

so, yea… you have many options - by many i mean few, and by few, i mean pick your poison :T

@Doc, this should definitely be stickied or brought to everyone’s attention in whatever way you had in mind, because i imagine only a few take to the forums about this while the rest who experience the same fate just hopelessly “deal” with it…

I will never advocate for people to disable or inhibit the normal operation of system updates. But the setting you’ve changed isn’t far off from officially supported methods to reduce the impact of updates.

Here’s what I recommend:

If you’re on Windows 10 Professional or higher, change how updates are delivered to prevent them from downloading or installing without your approval. If you put off updating for a few days Windows starts giving you nasty messages, so it’s less likely you’ll forget to run the updates.

1. Open the “Group Policy Editor”. (click start, type group policy)
  2. Navigate to Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.
  3. Find and open “Configure Automatic Updates”.
  4. Enable the policy, then change the setting to “2 - Notify for download and auto install”.

If you’re using Windows 10 Home, then you can sorta achieve the same thing by changing your internet connected to a “metered connection”. More here: https://www.howtogeek.com/226722/how-when-and-why-to-set-a-connection-as-metered-on-windows-10/

On all editions of Windows 10, change your “Active Hours” to whatever makes sense, so that your inactive time is when you’ll most likely not be on your computer. Also change your Restart Options so it’s not scheduled to restart at a time when you’re using the computer.

This should get rid of almost all situations where an update could disrupt you from normally using your computer, with the benefit of still getting updates in a timely manner.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.