New forum category for XML hackers?

Continuing the discussion from Patch X.17.0 - The Tinkering:

Think we should create a new forum category as workspace for folks tinkering with the XML?

Patch X.17.0 - The Tinkering

I feel them making a discord for such would be far more effective,

Yeah, we had an xml section on the ideas discord but it kind of died after the documentation hype slowed down.

I could probably argue each way. But in the case you are gauging interest, I would certainly use one. However Iā€™m guessing a lot of the threads will be questions to which a lot of us donā€™t know the answers, so without the participation of devs or UCG members we may have a lot of unresolved threads.

Very likely would be, I agree.

However, I thought there could be some benefit after seeing @Xaklorā€™s question to Krathan in that other thread. Thereā€™s not really a venue for feedback to Deca. Also, other users who are just starting the XML thing could benefit from questions that would be already answered in this new category.

yea so make it lol

The effectiveness of such a section would rely heavily on deca and how frequently they check in. Or the xml-experienced ugc team.

I would not find such a section that helpful unless it gets a lot of attention from them.

I know I often just ask some of the UGC team members directly over discord if I had some issues with XML. They were normally pretty open on things. But I feel like after they released the doc they seem to have quieted down a little about things. Iā€™m guessing they are busy, or I got them at bad times. But they may have also been asked not to speak so openly.

Iā€™m all for it personally, a forum is a lot easier for Questions and Answers as you can get context for each issue separated while Discord would have a constant feed that is hard to keep track of.
If such a category was made Iā€™d try to help people as much as possible as the documentation is still rather lacking in content and explanation.

It just so happened that the Documentation was released in September which is a month that I think a decent amount of people start getting busy once again, so it was just a coincidence. DECA hasnā€™t asked us to not be open, in fact knowing them theyā€™d probably encourage us to share tips and tricks as long as itā€™s not from unreleased feature or sharing XML currently used.

That is most definitely an understatement. I started actually looking at it while I was trying to make something and I couldnā€™t find anything.

changeground is pretty bad because it doesnā€™t actually give you any kind of ground / way to define grounds.

It assumes you have the list of ground ids which isnā€™t that hard to find as it is on static.drips and that if you are interested in XML you have probably looked at it more than once, but I agree that it should be available on the documentation itself, probably also showing the texture/animation if thereā€™s one.

I mean, even just a link to static.drips would be great. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

A separate subforum would allow my poor brain not to be confronted with walls of xml in normal threads, so yes Iā€™m all for it!

Not sure of the use of ā€œhackerā€ is the best though, even if technically correct, when it comes to Rotmg the word has so many negative connotations - omg hackers are allowed on the forum???

He just wanted to like a picture on his grandsons facebook but he ended up stealing US launch codes

Iā€™m personally okay with co-opting the term. Iā€™m not above a little click-bait now and then. :wink:

Now just where should we put it? Under community hub, I would assume.

Community Hub is a safe bet, Academy might also work if we want to focus more on sharing knowledge.

All who are interested: https://www.realmeye.com/forum/c/community-hub/xml

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.