New Shatters minibosses

After reading a recent thread in Ideas about an armor that would mimic the Glacier Archmage’s pattern, I was inspired to put my own spin on the idea.

There would be two new secret bosses in Shatters, basically a super ice magician and a super fire magician.
#Alexia, Royal Advisor

In the second zone of the Shatters, when the secret switch is destroyed, a new enemy spawns right at the bridge’s entrance.

Alexia, Royal Advisor: Thy knowledge of the palace’s secrets grows alarming… I shan’t let you go on.”

Stats: somewhere in the 10k-20k Hp range, 30 Def, gives 2000 Xp.

Pattern: She starts out very similar to the Twilight Archmage’s ice phase, spawning an Ice portal and a big Ice Sphere while releasing novas of shots that inflict Sick and Slow.

She then has a second phase where she becomes Armored for 5 seconds and replaces the Sphere and Portal with 3 100-damage shots that inflict Unstable and Darkness for 3 seconds, aimed at the nearest player.

When the Armored wears off, she releases a nova of 10 100-damage shots inflicting Paralyze for 3 seconds. and cycles back to the first phase.

Drops: Mana (at least 1 guaranteed), all Unbound rings, and a new white bag UT.

Iced Heart

At a madman’s court, compassion and self-restraint are liabilities.

UT Star

Cost: 100 Mana

Effect: Armored for 2 seconds. When the Armored wears off, releases 10 ice projectiles with a range of 5 and a shot speed of 20, inflicting 250-300 damage each.

CD: 5 seconds

#Robbus, Royal Demolisher

A new secret switch shall be placed in the hot lava in the zone before the Forgotten King (at the start of the path taken by lava walkers). Its only effect is to spawn a new boss in the middle of the bridge.

Robbus, Royal Demolisher: Keheheheh… new kindle for the flame… oh, they’ll burn so bright…”

Stats: same as Alexia, about 10-20k Hp, 30 Def, 2000 Xp.

Pattern: Also very similar to the corresponding Twilight Archmage phase, main difference being that he throws new Fire Bombs as soon as the previous ones are done exploding.

Alternates between throwing a Fire Portal while spitting a huge wave of fire at you like the Twilight Archmage does and shooting 3 100-damage shots inflicting Quiet and Unstable, trying to predict where you’ll try to dodge (similar to the Ent God’s pattern).

Drops: Mana (at least 1 guaranteed), all Unbound Rings and a new white bag UT.

Spark of Madness

Had the King’s insanity not wrecked the place, this eventually would have.

UT Trap

Cost: 120 Mana

Effect: Throws 6 bombs in random spots within a 6-tiles radius of your cursor (the algorithm should be programmed in such a way that each bomb is always in a separate spot, so that no stacking can occur). The bombs explode after 3 seconds, releasing 4 200-damage shots each.

EDIT 1: Credit to @Puffagod for boss sprites.

Magma Trap

When making an addition to an existing concept/dungeon, think "is this necessary?"
Because this idea isn’t necessary whatsoever. The Shatters is one of the most complete dungeons in the game. It doesn’t need anything else.
Also, you should have sprites. This forum doesn’t encourage or accept incomplete ideas.
I do enjoy the descriptions a ton, though.

Both minibosses are completely optional. Both UTs were made as fun toys to play with, not as super-optimal specialized weaponry.

If anything in this idea felt necessary, you could make a very good case counting them as failures on my part.

Aside from the fact that it’s the most predictable dungeon in the game with very little depth to it?

That’s one of the reasons why I don’t post ideas that often: I’m just really bad at creating art. I couldn’t even draw you what I want these enemies and items to look like if you gave me a piece of paper and a pencil.

I guess Alexia should be a stern and strict-looking woman wearing dark blue robes, while Robbus should have a messier design with predominantly bright red and orange tones and maybe some darker, almost black parts to represent soot and partially burnt clothes or hairs.

As for the items… I’m not entirely sure. Maybe the Iced Heart could just literally be a blueish human heart, while the Spark of Madness could look like a fiery bloodshot eye?

This is actually… Quite true.

Hey why dont u work on this a bit more and come up wiht an idea of another end game dungeon instead of trying to buff up shatters as its already complete and wont seem any bit more interesting wiht these mini bosses :stuck_out_tongue:

shatters have already more than enough reward

We already have Shatters and LoD, adding yet another elements-based endgame dungeon would feel repetitive at this point.

Why is adding optional content to a boring dungeon that has you sit on rails for anywhere between 10 minutes and an hour such a big problem all of a sudden?

Unless of course you guys are suggesting that The Shatters are perfect in their current state and the pinnacle of this game’s design, in which case you’ll have to excuse me for not pursuing this conversation as typing while laughing uncontrollably might prove quite difficult.

sorry, typed the wrong thing, I meant that there is to many reward

1. shatters is easy and a bore that you do the same thing through.

2. I would not consider a dungeon with buggy non intended ways to kill each boss complete in the least.

3. I’m totally open to additions to the shatters the thing is stale as hell.

4. The loot is not wroth the rarity and showoff lvl is. The shatters does not pay out much and won’t make you rich. For being the “hardest” dungeon it’s a bit sad.

5. +1 to the idea

I quite like this; purely because I think the current Shatters are cheap and shallow.

I’m going to keep my opinions to myself at this point, since they’re so mixed up right now.

Where in the shatters would you encounter these two? and would it let people who participated in the minibosses back through sealed off areas so they don’t get completely left behind?

Perhaps this is more of an issue with the loot system in general than with The Shatters in particular, but I feel like it’s not that rewarding of a dungeon given how long and how dangerous it can be…

…but then again the risk/reward ratio is all out of whack because easily the biggest part of the dungeon’s difficulty comes from other players fucking up and it becomes ridiculously easy when you can buy keys and do them clean.

Anyway, it’s always bugged me how the so-called “RotMG endgame” is almost invariably less rewarding than just sitting in godlands on a Sorc.

Alexia would spawn at the entrance of the bridge leading to the Twilight Archmage’s room and Robbus would spawn after the last group of minions, in the middle of the bridge leading to the Forgotten King’s room.

… good point. Maybe we could make it so the way doesn’t get blocked off as long as the corresponding miniboss is still alive? But then that could get exploited as well.

@RMGnoob a secret boss spawn point could be that broken bridge (maybe like 10% chance it spawns when you destroy 1st switch.) that leads nowhere that’s north of the cave where you go for the 1st switch. I think it would also be cool if you lavawalked to the a room that’s right rather then going north to 3rd. to a secret platform for the 2nd secret boss.

Lavawalking shouldn’t be in this game, it favors players who bought good healing pets too much and doesn’t really have anything to do with skill. If we do put a secret boss room in hot lava, we’ll need to also spawn a bridge to it (or at the very least pieces of a bridge).

One thing we might have to do to ensure these bosses can actually be done in public Shatters might be to give them their own condition flag when they spawn.

What I mean by that is it would be entirely possible to avoid the secret bosses and just do a regular Shatters, but if you do trigger them then killing them becomes a requirement to trigger the next boss.

So i read majority of the comments.

Although im not going to explain much about my opinions of minibosses.

But as many others have said, the shatters (in my opinion) is very boring b/c its basically the same thing over and over again.

I rather liked the trap and the star. The trap matches the fire bombs rather nicely. Also would be good to give a trap that would be easier to use (meaning not perfectly pulled onto it or something.

umm… I was going to say more but i forgot,… maybe ill edit this/post another msg when i remember.

Just calling @Piggby here for some sprite master work.

I like the ideas and your essay-style responses to all these comments.

Not even kidding, my english mark has gone up since midterms and I think it has to do with reading your well-written work.

im argument / ignoring skills have gone up since i joined the forums :wink:\

too bad my punctuation/spelling still sucks

I’ve thought about this some more and come to the conclusion that two extra minibosses in shatters would be pretty cool, assuming it’s done correctly and balanced. but I also think that they should have better tradeable loot chances and no whites instead of whites with low drop chances like every other boss.

arguing? yes!
ignoring? no…

im getting better!!!

believe it or not!!!

I used to be even worse![quote=“Xaklor, post:18, topic:4395”]
but I also think that they should have better tradeable loot chances and no whites instead of whites with low drop chances like every other boss.
[/quote]

yes i agree.

I think it would be much better if the shatters had 5-20 different versions (version means different order/shape of rooms/enemies)