Operation Spitfire Devlog

(Formerly known as “Me Make Game”)

2/20/20

bonjor henlo and alchemy everyone, I am announcing that me make game.

uh, yeah. I’m making a bullet hell shooterish game, and while im not done with the first level, progress is going well, albeit insanely slow because im a [hack fraud lazy piece of] busy guy. maybe I’ll put a download for it later, but right now its no where near a complete game or ready to be released as an alpha or beta.

1/2/21

Its Time!

After some final tweaks and play testing the Demo is ready to go. Thank you to everyone who’s stuck with this little project for this long, and to those who’ve helped me along the way :sunglasses:

For now it’s not on Itchio but obviously will, and is available through the link below

(Download Link)

Either way I’m excited to hear your guys’ feedback!

(You can also leave any questions and I will answer them to the best of my ability!)

I’m gonna take a well deserved break now :flushed:

from the feedback I got I was able to fix those four bugs, thank you again!

What will you call it?

I have a placeholder name for it which is just “Spitfire”, but I’ll probably think of something better once I get further in development :flushed:

“Realm of the bullet hell” (;

“[Insert noun that indicates an area] of the [insert adjective that describes person in negative way] [insert noun that indicates a person of power or divinity]”

domain of the crazed deity
area of the stupid politician
haven of the grumpy manager
house of the lazy being
the list goes on

since I don’t have any screenshots on here yet I’ll just share some recent stuff I did with some help of tutorials:

I was able to create a nice save/load system for settings, which while not really important for gameplay, it is really nice to not have to go to settings and fix the window size and audio.

I fixed some dumb issue with weapon switching that emptied the clip of the secondary weapon for some reason, I still can’t find out why it happened but it did.

Map making for the 1st level is going decently, though it doesn’t look amazing yet, so im not gonna post a screenshot of it yet.

“House of the high crackhead”

Wow it does go on and on

Region of the coronavirus infected people…

I think the most important thing to focus on is the framework of the game. I have made a “game” from scratch before and the hardest part was the game loop that allowed everything to function. Good luck!

here’s the map so far, its obviously not done yet, but I’m happy with how it looks so far.

I have actual progress, I’m getting close to finishing the 1st level, I just gotta add more detail and placement for stuff

(the blue stuff is an invisible barrier if you’re wondering)

I’m assuming it takes place in a modern world? Will there be magic and stuff?

Modern world yes

magic? possibly, once I get past creating the first “chapter” of the game.

Since I’m obligated to post atleast one update a month I’ve made a trashy gif showing off the gun play.

for anyone wondering what the hell the stuff on the UI is supposed to be, the blue is armor (or shield if you’re an EpIC FoRTNiTE GaMURr), green is HP, uppermost slot is your consumable (which I should’ve shown off but whatever), the two slots below that are your primary and secondary weapons, and the bottom slot is your throwables.

I’m pretty happy with how it functions for the most part, it has a kink or two in it still but it works really nicely. Coding wise its a little fucky, the weapon code that allows it to aim and fire is from a platformer tutorial by Shaun Spalding (great youtuber by the by), while the rest of the code handling weapon clips, switching and items I made from scratch.

Basically (hopefully) for the magazine clip and reloading, I added a little bit of variable changing each time you fired your weapon until it got to 0 and something to remember the current clip size, and once it got to 0 it would check if another variable was false and then increase another variable that would make the little grey bar go up until it was full, which would set the ammo back to full and the reload to -whatevernumber.

As for the UI and weapon switching, that’s handled by two different objects, one for weapon and item related non sense and the other for actually drawing any of this stupid crap on the screen. and while I would explain in detail how they work, I’ll save that for when I showcase the items and throwables, which will be soonish.

Anyway, thanks for watching, like comment and subscribe and don’t forget to donate to my Patreon and click that notification bell to see all my latest videos love you guys peace upon the earth goodbye brofst.

That’s pretty good :+1:

Make me beta tester!!! I must try!!! Am good at krunker and surviv.io let me play dad!!!11!1!1!1

And im back, continuing on with my explanation about stuff, or whatever.

Old stuff

the coding from last time and what im currently going on about it mostly months old, otherwise I wouldn’t have anything to show.

Weapon switching is handled by an overall weapon manager (which also handles items, killstreaks, and some other stuff). pretty much aside from the code its simple, you can switch by pressing 1 for your primary or 2 for your secondary, that’s it. if you wanna drop your secondary just press backspace, you can’t drop the primary because that would require dozens of hours of brute forcing code like a [dumdum].

grenade throwing is self explanatory so that’s about all the coverage im doing on it.

you can use picked up items by pressing T, and each item has a unique affect applied to the Player Character upon use (ie health kits give HP, armor kits give shield, damage kits increase damage and so on).

As for the UI system, everything is drawn on the screen, and that’s it.

Killstreaks increase the amount of damage you deal by 0.1 per kill, on the downside of a fast streak reset.

New Stuff :flushed:

this part is gonna be really short lmao

I added the ability to drop items (amazing I know). main reason why I didn’t add it sooner stemmed from me thinking it was gonna be too OP and make gameplay a cake walk. but after play testing the first level, being forced to use an item if you want to empty your item slot (or taking damage if you have an armor/health kit) isn’t exactly fun.

I fixed some weird issue with the secondary clip resetting to 0 every time you switched from it to the primary and back again.

tweaked enemy HP to not be bullet sponges

I varied enemy movement and made their projectiles not super sonic speed, I’ll probably change it again when I finalize the first level.

That’s all for now, I’ll work a little bit more on it when I get the motivation to not be a useless tool.

Reminds me of a red v blue zombie .io 8bit game I played a while back (shame I forgot the name it was pretty fun ngl)

I feel like I know what you’re talking about, but I can’t put my finger on it either…

I meant to post this a couple days ago but I forgot lol

feedback is really appreciated, I wanna smooth out any kinks before I move onto making the 2nd level.

(also I made the sound 0% because my music and sounds are bad).