Poll: Is english your mother language?

My Mother tongue is Chinese but I’m wayyyyyyy more proficient in English, I’m pretty sure I learnt English first and my thoughts are in English. (Was Fcking happy when I got diagnosed with dyslexia so I don’t need to study Chinese any more)

My mother language is Hindi(Indian).

I know Hindi, English, and Arabic.

I know decent French, being Canadian and all, but English is my first language

English is also my father language.

yee but I learned english second
I learned chinese first but I am much better at english now xD

I am just an average american as well, though I do say mate, or-e-gano, and ad-e-das, like some of my Australian friends do.

what do you mean by mother language? i mean, i consider english to be my first language, but like, not for my parents…

You’re over-thinking it. It’s just another way of saying “first language”.

LOL selimmmmm lmao

Hm I’m fluent in Farsi and English, to an extent my English is better than my Farsi so I don’t have any problem understanding anything.

O SHIT PICCOUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
#Welcome to the forum @Thepiccoug!!
Have a :cookie:

Wow, you really need to stay and hang out here, i need a guildie who is hardcore forum addict ;pp

Well i dont wanna misunderstand the question and put in the wrong answer!

Well, I said it on other posts a while ago : I’m french, I live in France and speak french and english (although I’m not that good at speaking english with my mouth) (if that makes sense) (heeeeyyyy a triple!)

I actually only moved to the US 3~4 years ago, before that i didnt know english at all. then i learned it pretty quick, and it’s pretty much been my first language ever since

I’m not sure where “mother language” came from, but I think it came from the fact that your first language is usually is the one your mother (or whoever raised you) used the most and taught you. Of course, that is not always the case, but what I meant by “your mother language” is “the first language you learned”.

As long as you’re good at speaking english with any other part of your body, it’s fine.

Moved from Ukraine to the US at the age of 2, my mother slowly learned to speak English while my new American dad was born in the US.

I ended up learning both English and Russian at the same time, which messed me up quite a bit. As my mom learned to speak English, i stopped learning how to speak the russian language.

So i’m not sure what my mother language is.

yea that’s not the case for me, that’s why i wanted to make sure

Would that mean you can at least partly speak Russian?

At the age of about 4~5 I moved from Poland to England. I can speak Polish fairly well and despite my age I have a pass grade in Polish A-levels here in England. I speak English most of the time and I’m way more fluent, my thoughts are in English too. :smile:

We speak english
We eat cheeseburgers and french fries.

I speak mandarin as a second language @Scorchmist, because I also have the chinese parents, but they decided to speak english when I was young so I wouldn’t have trouble in school :heart:

If you’re not a citizen, probably not.
If your parent(s) are, yes.

Born in Philippines, Mother language Tagalog, I speak English just as well as anyone in U.S :stuck_out_tongue: