Post formatting: Posting Test Area/How do I add links to sub-sections of my post?

#Links to Subsections
I see a lot of posts these days that are large blocks of text. These are generally hard to read, and many people don’t read through the entire thing. To avoid this, you can use collapsable detail tabs, but for larger posts, I think it would be useful to have some sort of ability to link between various sections in your own post.

For example, if I discuss information relating to merching small pots, and then reference it later, for a large post, I would like to be able to click a link and jump back to small pots section that I am referencing in that same post.

In HTML, this is traditionally done with id tags like so:

Target:
<a name="name_of_target">Content</a>

Link to Target:
a href="#name_of_target">Link Text</a>

This has NOT worked for me when I have tried to make posts on the forum formatted with this method. Is there some other way that I can achieve this?

#Testing Area
This leads into my next point. The current method for posting on the forums allows you to use a combination of BBcode, markdown, and HTML without CSS. This can be convoluted at times. I was wondering if there is some hidden testing area that I could have access to where I would be able to load large posts and test to make sure everything works properly. I understand that there is the preview, but the preview section does not necessarily turn out exactly like the actual post. Things like links often bug out and do not work.

If there is not a testing area, is there a list of what elements of the post formatting are pulled from markdown, which elements are pulled from BBCode, and which elements are pulled from HTML?

You should be able to format your posts in pure HTML, so if it’s not working here, then I’m not sure if it’s possible.

Feel free to make this a testing thread. Just tag @moderators when you want your posts removed.

Boop. You know how to full-quote a post, right!

Ayy, Doc has provided a faster answer!

Let me try…

Welcome to the top!

Let me take you to the bottom! ..

I hope you enjoyed your ride!

Let me take you to the top!

edit:

Instead of using name, try using id? That’s what I did anyways.

My issue is that I am having a hard time distinguishing the raw HTML formatting and syntax from HTML with CSS, since the forums doesn’t support CSS integration. A lot of the things you can do with the both of them used to be able to be accomplished with just HTML, but they have taken a lot of that out in favor of CSS compatibility.

@Doc okay that’s perfect, thanks!

@BaraBlazer The id seems to work instead of name. Alright, thanks so much

There are a lot of things you cannot do with here, this is primarily due to the code format that these forums use, it’s not very intuitive.

Example being adding a background colour to a table cell. Or even something as simple as underlining your text.

Some of your questions may be answered in this thread here, but look more towards the comments section for some interesting things.

You can add background colors if you are a mod I think and that’s it. Doesn’t really help me :stuck_out_tongue:

I never really thought about adding a table, but that’s nice that you can do it. I guess for stats that would be really useful. As for the rest of it, I can get through the bolding, italicizing, coloring, centering, aligning, etc etc. There are just fundamental features (like underlining) or in this case linking that weren’t readily apparent to me with the HTML that I know.

Thanks for the link! I’ll take a look

if you tell the forum bot (discobot) to start a new user it begins a forum tutorial of sorts for you in private messages. whenever I’m unsure if a formatting thing is actually going to work i post it in that private tutorial thread first to check.

most people would appreciate it if you kept discobot commands on this thread btw

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.