How to HTML & posting help

So, many people like to post things and ideas and create discussions. An effective way to get a point across is by bolding key words, italicizing sentences for emphasis and organizing your ideas in an easy to follow fashion.

Reading this article will make it easier for you to post in places where it doesn’t give you handy little shortcuts to ‘mark up’ your posts, like the reddit forums.

Also I’m bored I want to post about something.

##The technicals*
*I leave a space between the <>'s to show how it’s done

Most people are aware that the " ** " or “< b>text< /b>” around the text will bold a sentence or word, or using your keyboard shortcuts/clicking the bold button. Same story goes for italics. Using “##” before a sentence on a new line will make the following a header.

To make superscript or subscript, type in "< sup> text < /sup> or < sub> text < /sub>

Your text will look like this.

To add colour to some text, [ color=#]Text[/color] is how it’s done, where you put in “ff0000” (or something) in front of the #. This 6-digit code is known as a hex code for any colour. In this case ^ is red.

Hyperlinks are a very simple thing. When manually typing one out: " [text you want](actual link) " which gives you the ability to greatly condense a link’s length ie. this compared to http://www.hdbloggers.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Cool-Backgrounds-Wallpaper.jpg; correct brackets are key

Don’t know how to underline here, < u> text < /u> won’t work

##Creating tables (spreadsheets)
Making a table is a bit more time consuming but it’s a great way to organise ideas, or show RotMG class stats!

Example:

Initial Stats Gain Per Level Average at 20 Base Stat Cap
Hit Points 130 20-30 605 700
Magic Points 100 5-15 290 385
Attack 10 0-2 29 50
Defense 0 0 0 30
Speed 12 0-2 31 55
Dexterity 12 0-2 31 50
Vitality 12 0-2 31 60
Wisdom 15 1-2 43 75
  • First step is to type in this: < table style=“width:100%”>
  • Then on a new line, type: < tr> <-- this will define a table row.
  • On the next line down, type: < th> text < /th> <-- this will allow you to create a heading for that table.
  • Repeat the above on a new line each time, until you have the desired # of columns for your table (left to right), then type: < /tr> on the line underneath to stop editing that row.
  • On another new line, type < tr>, then < td> text < /td> to continue filling out your table.

The table I had created above looks like this, in HTML
< table style=“width:100%”>

< tr>
< th> < /th>
< th>Initial Stats< /th>
< th>Gain Per Level< /th>
< th>Average at 20< /th>
< th>Base Stat Cap< /th>
< /tr>
< tr>
< td>Hit Points< /td>
< td>130< /td>
< td>20-30< /td>
< td>605< /td>
< td>700< /td>
< /tr>
< tr>
< td>Magic Points< /td>
< td>100< /td>
< td>5-15< /td>
< td>290< /td>
< td>385< /td>
< /tr>
< tr>
< td>Attack< /td>
< td>10< /td>
< td>0-2< /td>
< td>29< /td>
< td>50< /td>
< /tr>
< table>
and so on and so forth

To bold or italicize within your table, type: < td>< b> text < /b>< /td>

Remember, there is no space between < and / or < and td, that was for demonstration purposes.

I hope this was sorta helpful in some way. If there are any other tips n tricks then please post them below!

For example, I can’t figure out the underline nor how to colour the background in a table cell.

Click here for a complete course on HTML, if you’re really interested!

I didn’t know how to do anything with HTML until I started on my class idea, because I wanted my ideas to look neat and well presented.

Cheers,
Stuart

Everything about Realmeye Formatting
Lephoz the element God
Ask the Person Below You a Question
A Realmeye Christmas [CLOSED]
New Event
Samurai (SPRITES IN PROGRESS) by JudgeBOZ
Post formatting: Posting Test Area/How do I add links to sub-sections of my post?
Best Warrior Set?
The Occultist

FYI: you can post code straight up without having it parsed. Either begin a new line with 4 spaces, or surround code with ` symbols (the key to the left of 1 on a US Keyboard).

Results in this:

To make superscript or subscript, type in <sup>text</sup> or <sub>text</sub>.

<table style="width:100%">
<tr>
<th> </th>
<th>Initial Stats</th>
<th>Gain Per Level</th> 
<th>Average at 20</th>
<th>Base Stat Cap</th>
</tr>
<table>

Thanks a ton! That would have saved some time xD

:slight_smile:

Also, here’s the full reference for the markdown syntax used by this forum: http://commonmark.org/help/

Underline

Unfortunately the old <u> tag was removed from the HTML specification a while back. Underlining was relegated to using styles like the following:

<span style="text-decoration:underline;">Underlined</span>

However, style attributes are stripped from comments to prevent layout breaking abuse.

Oh ok, experimenting on mobile is painfully slow :confused:

oh nice, thanks for that

Nice tips, thanks.

But I still don’t know how to change the size of the font. It’s funny that you did that in the op (below the “The technicals” heading) but didn’t teach us how to do it. Or was that only a subscript?

Explaining BBCode may be a lot easier than HTML.

Or you could always type &lt; to display a <, which will give the appearance of valid HTML code without actually being valid HTML code:

&lt;table style="width:100%">
&lt;tr>&lt;th>Initial Stats&lt;/th>&lt;th>Gain Per Level&lt;/th> <i>[...]</i> &lt;/tr>
<i>[...]</i>
&lt;/table>

…displays as…

<table style=“width:100%”>
<tr><th>Initial Stats</th><th>Gain Per Level</th> […] </tr>
[…]
</table>

You can also use \ to escape valid markdown.

*normally italic text*
Source: \*normally italic text\*

However you need to use the HTML entities you’ve mentioned to display nested BB and markdown characters inside BB or markdown tags:

A detail &#91;with square brackets&#93; in the title

Summary content and a fake [/details]

Source: [details=A detail &#91;with square brackets&#93; in the title]Summary content and a fake \[/details\][/details]

That was just using superscript on a new line :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the tips from admins, I didn’t know how to do any HTML before I started on these forums.

It’s also inferior

Depends.

• Markdown is easy to type and remember, but it doesn’t do everything you may want.
  • HTML can do just about everything you’d want, but you have to know the syntax and what works and what doesn’t (like BMJ’s underline post above, for example).
  • BBCode covers just about everything most people need in a forum to format their content and it protects the system from bad HTML. But it has weird syntax and isn’t as intuitive as the others.

Also, using BBCode makes it look like you sprinkled little square butt cheeks all over your post.

Oh. So… There’s no way to change font size then? It seems to me like an obvious feature that should exist… It probably does exist… Can somebody help? Anybody?

This is an example of font size changes

<font size=1>This is an example of font size changes</font>

However, we frown upon excessive use of massive font sizes so don’t expect mega-text posts to last long.

Awesome, thank you so much. Don’t worry, i won’t make huge texts, i just want to downsize them for the sake of subtlety.