POWER's Submission to the DECA Art Contest

U should probably submit these on reddit as well. Btw these are astonishing! I would love to have them ingame! 10/10

For those who don’t know what he’s talking about:

Indeed, kinda reminiscent of it.

This art contest has brought nothing but goodness so far.

I still think that monster looks like a samurai…

but good work. Like your tag says,

Opps, I just got knocked out of the contest

same m8, the best sprite I’ve seen in this contest

Looks at my own half finished submission
Looks at this
Deletes every image meant for my submission

That Spartan Knight skin…YES!

ANDDDDDDD… WE HAVE A WINNER!

10/10 BEST SPRITES IVE SEEN ON THESE FORUMS BY FAR.
If… No, WHEN this skin gets added im buying it 100%

fencer looks lit

Pls stop making skins POWER, I find it troublesome to have eyegasms every time I click on one of your posts!

I could watch that fencer for days!!!

The Spartan Knight looks like a walking Ghelm. I like the Fencer’s animation and the molten rocks. Great work!

it seems I am the bearer of the unpopular opinion again, and even with the same tired complaint.

if this was just for the heck of it and you just felt like it that would be fine, but if the intent is to get deca’s attention and get stuff in the game then this matters:

fencer sprite is too big :stuck_out_tongue:

seriously though, this is how the game sprites are stored:

how can you get that to fit? the extra attack frames are actually fine, I believe it would take some fussing with getting things playing right but totally doable. oversized sprite? not so much.
of course, I seriously doubt you of all people cares even remotely about this, and since you’ve probably submitted it anyway you can’t fix it, but w/e ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

if the only thing you care about is making something that looks nice then you’ve won the competition tho.

oh yeah, one other thing:

am I really the only one who can’t tell what this is supposed to be doing here? it just looks odd.
other than that one animation that skin is the best one I’ve seen for the art contest

There is a precedent for sprites greater than 16 pixels in width. Look at Davy Jones, for example:

I’m aware of the spartan issue and will be working on a fix.

Totally amazed by this set for the contest, it makes me wanna work extra hard on mine.
Keep the awesome work.

I’m aware of that, I’ve used it multiple times. but that only extends to the right of the sprite, and only for the second attack frame. if you forced the fencer into that spot it would look something like this:

taking another shot at it, this time only adjusting his position when the blade “pushed” him over, looks like this:

once again, only using second attack frames.

the problem isn’t that he takes up too much space on his own, it’s that he’s trying to extend himself in both directions. the space needed to stand still while attacking needs to accommodate the blade in both directions:

and that, is 40 pixels.

Dragon Tamer 16x16 redrawn V4- BB

Surely I’m not the only one who dislikes the wave effect from the blade dancing around?
It looks cool, but only makes sense if it’s something like a fire sword.

Those are smear frames, and while Realm isn’t known for it, I can assure you the fencer would look strange without it.

@Xaklor: Does the game absolutely need to keep its sprites glued to one spot? If he were to make it into the game, would it not be feasible to adjust his position horizontally so that it appears he is standing in one place? I say this out of a position of genuine ignorance, because I know bugger all about code, and certainly not anything about the code of this game.

I see what you mean and that there is no animation of this size currently in Realm, but I still feel that implementation should be a non-issue. As you said, it would be possible to make the entire fencer in 40 pixels: though there is no sprite that wide (that I know of) right now, we have seen that attack animations of different sizes over 16x16 can still be easily handled (further proof would be crazy private server sprites with sizes like 64x64 that are still easily handled with the existing RotMG engine). What, then, is preventing the 40-pixel approach? If you argue that it’s too big for Realm, keep in mind that no visible part of any single frame is too wide, so it is completely in line with the Realm aesthetic.

Thus, the sprite is both aesthetically fitting and perfectly implementable. The only reason against the sprite is that there is nothing that has exactly this setting and implementation, which is too rigid of a viewpoint for my taste and discourages pushing the boundaries of design in the game.

I have updated the Spartan:

when you actually fence and this is totally inaccurate

triggered