Problems with the current meta, and potential solutions

I am not sure this is needed.

The reason why so many people use HP rings is because this is a permadeath game.

Such it has always been.

The only time when DPS rings have really ever been considered viable by many people outside of PPEs, at least in my experience, was… well… never.

Amulets were once THE ring to use, because they helped you evade death. Once they got removed, people often used a ring like Pyra to ensure survivability (before UBHP and in a time when def was more valuable, the 4 def was considered better than the 40 hp you get from exa hp) and then over time UBHP became more popular as endgame lessened the importance of def.

As Unibro said once when asked about Spectral Cloth Armor, “your DPS is zero when you’re dead.”

Survivability is the defining thing people look for in gear often because people don’t want to lose their hard-earned characters. There are of course those that play for a full DPS set or other sets like mana or wis sets, but they are definitely rarer because the majority of players (myself included) are not good enough to just rely on their dodging capabilities for that playstyle.

Someone mentioned on a different thread that an HP ring is the only easy way to get significant amounts of HP. Yes breastplate gives a lot of hp but it’s a white from MBC. Other HP giving armors usually only give 50 or 60 at most, with wrath’s brigandine giving 80. Weapons very rarely give anything and abilities (baring skulls) is usually 20, 40 if you can do O3.

Yes, that is true

I have no idea what this means. Soulbound has never been a curve, just a threshold or series of thresholds. Previously they were far too high, so high that often only a handful of players could qualify.

Typically e.g. the threshold might be something like 10%, but that meant at most 9 people (each doing 11% damage) could qualify; in practice far fewer did. The larger the group the less damage each did, so sometimes no-one at all qualifies for SB, and only guaranteed pots were distributed. To cope with this players adopted various strategies, mostly very anti-cooperative ones such as not calling dungeons, popping keys on top of portals, using hacks to do maximum damage.

So, no we don’t want to go back even part way to how broken it was.

I like the idea of the top damage player getting something better, like maybe a better drop rate if you have highest damage, but I don’t think we need to nerf hp ring or that dps builds are never used.

@Deca If you ever do implement a top damage reward, please don’t ever tell us it exists.

why not?

Same reasons a higher soulbound threshold is unwanted.

In that case we’ll just have more threads like this complaining about it

People do not run LH’s that drop form sentrys, nor do they really run Nests or Crystals, and even if they do it is not where near as efficient as running them through a disocrd. The only ones that get run in the realm are Shatters, and even then, at least half dont make it to King. Sure, you could solo, but that takes a while and aside from the thrill and challange, there is not reward. Even though you get guareenteed loot, you could do 5-10 Shatters in the time it takes most people to solo one, so the odds of loot are better.

LOL, no. People do run all of those in Realm. In a reasonably busy Realm there’s normally a good sized party for any of them. Might be a bit different now, while the Realm is littered with white things dropping trinkets, but only a week ago got my first Exaltation from Nests dropped from the quest (only took me so long as i died on my 8/8 and had to make another, and I’m never quick at that).

It’s not just all about what’s efficient. It’s playing the game in a way you enjoy, If you like Discord runs fine, but I imagine they make dungeons like Nest pretty routine and dull.

I can confirm that. I run nothing but pubs, and before the event, people have been running them in the realm in larger and more competent groups. I’d rather suspect that some of these players are former/current Discord runners that have enough experience to charge fearlessly into battle as a group, being able to fend for their own

I think it’s a number of recent changes: Exaltations, new O3 gear, Oryx gear, Construction gear, and improvements in other sets and gear. After years of a fairly stable cap to weapons and abilities this year has seen a big improvement across the board.

Also HP scaling now favours small groups, so a small group of 6 – 12 is now much better than 60+ players. Plus with Exaltation many people will be trying to do Nest/Shatts etc. with 8/8 chars they think can survive. If you have to do 75 dungeons to max a stat you don’t want any that don’t count towards that total.

I disagree. I always see people going into LH, fungals and nests get populated too almost every time. These pub halls are also faster than joining a discord if you are doing a cult run, AND you get more loot. Same with fungals, if you know what you are doing you can do them at a much faster pace than you would get in a discord.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.